New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gm137

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  07:13:58  Show Profile  Visit gm137's Homepage Send gm137 a Private Message
http://www.oxygenstore.net/oxywater.htm

I came across this site by accident, and ended up reading the whole thing with a sort of horrified fascination. Obviously, the whole thing is scientifically dubious (12 - 15% oxygen in cities? A lotta dead people then), but worse than that, the clowns behind this are deliberately using vague but impressive sounding phrases to flog a product that is useless unless you have gills (or want a higher class of burp). I know there are thousands of companies like this out there , but this one seemed particularly striking because it relies on the consuming public knowing less science than the average 14 year old is required to take in - and it seems to be doing a roaring trade. That worries me.

The name's Bond; Ionic bond.

Edited by - gm137 on 06/19/2004 07:15:57

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  09:05:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Of course.

An all too high percentage of the consuming public, addicted to being spoon-fed their thoughts through the popular media, actually does know less science than the 14 year old is required to learn. Alas, even that 14 year old may well forget that science only a few years later. Religion and psuedo-science are so much prettier to the uninquiring mind.

Thus, the dishonest become fat.

Edited to change it around a bit.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 06/19/2004 09:07:57
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  14:40:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
My 10 year-old daughter is oxygen-deficient due to a heart & lung condition. I've put Oxy-Up in soup (yes, it can be boiled!), beverages, and in her breakfast cereal. I've tested her with a pulse-oximeter and seen the oxygen saturation of her blood increase dramatically!

wow.... I'd like to be the lawyer for the person who believes this crap and uses this stuff on one of their kids as a medical treatment.....

quote:
You can survive for three weeks without food, three days without water and only minutes without oxygen. One hundred years ago, our air contained 32% oxygen.

rofl

And this one is possibly my favorite snip from the site....

quote:
Oxy-Up provides stable, molecularly bonded oxygen.

A team of scientists and professionals worked for eight years to develop
a completely unique and proprietary method of bonding oxygen to water molecules. Where others dissolve oxygen into a bottle, our unique product provides a stable and molecularly bonded source of oxygen.

Any highschoold student who has taken a basic chemistry class should be able to debunk this one in about 30 seconds....

I did laugh several times while reading that site

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  19:55:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Dude wrote:
quote:
Any highschoold student who has taken a basic chemistry class should be able to debunk this one in about 30 seconds....
Yeah, H2O2 is hydrogen peroxide. Or are they bonding molecular oxygen to water and coming up with H2O3 (is that even possible)? Ozone and H2O4?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  22:03:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
H2O3 = toxic

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/f?./temp/~4fbclV:10

And apparently corrosive....

http://msds.pdc.cornell.edu/msds/msdsdod/a435/m217145.htm#Section3

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  22:06:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
http://msds.pdc.cornell.edu/msds/msdsdod/a73/m36351.htm#Section3

Same for H2O4....

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

gm137

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  23:22:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gm137's Homepage Send gm137 a Private Message
Reminds me of Sprinfields' Dr Nick : "H3O: the wettest water you ever tasted".

H2O3 itself is not toxic - it's a higher hydride of water, and is an intermediate in some aqueous reactions- but the chemical industry often uses H2O3 as 'shorthand' for maleic anhydride (C4H2O3), a nice and toxic plasticiser.

I've found this quite a bit with this sort of company - the 'science' behind their claims often relys on transitory, unstable intermediates being stored or transported intact round the body. Unfortunately, as the gushing 'customer comment' cited by Dude shows, the customer is ready to accept this on faith. I just feel sorry for the daughter.

Edited by - gm137 on 06/21/2004 09:00:31
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  12:57:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Thanks gm137, that maleic anhydride reference was the only thing I could find on the web with H2O3 as the search phrase.

The H2O4 thing may also be a shorthand reference for a longer chemical name as well?

bah.... I need to learn more chemistry.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

gm137

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  08:59:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gm137's Homepage Send gm137 a Private Message
As far as I know, H2O4 is more 'industrial shorthand', this time for oxalic acid (HOOCCOOH),a rust remover,which is very toxic (it's a salt of this stuff that makes rhubarb leaves poisonous). Perhaps our customer'll be serving some of that to her 10-year old daughter as well?

Incidentally, all this ambiguity stems from the accepted practice in synthetic chemistry of drawing C-C bonds as lines, instead of using the element's symbol. This is useful when you're designing polymers containing thousand-carbon chains, but is less helpful when it comes to writing out molecular formulae.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  11:40:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Cool, thanks for the info :)

It's been 14 years since my last chemistry class! Which was a freshman level general chemistry class at the local college.

Back in school now (after a nice 10 year break) and I forsee alot of chemistry in my future as a biochem/molecular biology major. Beating myself with the dumb-stick at the moment for not bothering with an AA (have two seperate AS) when I was in school last time...(which is not really relevent to chemistry or the topic of this thread.... lol)

(edit: lol! sorry for the hijacking of this one! )

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Edited by - Dude on 06/21/2004 11:41:41
Go to Top of Page

satans_mom
Skeptic Friend

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2004 :  17:09:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send satans_mom an AOL message  Send satans_mom a Yahoo! Message Send satans_mom a Private Message
quote:
My 10 year-old daughter is oxygen-deficient due to a heart & lung condition. I've put Oxy-Up in soup (yes, it can be boiled!), beverages, and in her breakfast cereal. I've tested her with a pulse-oximeter and seen the oxygen saturation of her blood increase dramatically!

That's really cute, however, I don't believe this is an actual quote.

Yo mama's so fat, she's on both sides of the family.

Go to Top of Page

Terryt88
Skeptic Friend

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2004 :  22:25:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Terryt88 a Yahoo! Message Send Terryt88 a Private Message
That site reminds me of that Mel Brooks movie "Spaceballs."

He's sniffing cans of air that he has in his desk drawer.

I gotta watch that movie again someday.
Go to Top of Page

Rowan

3 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2004 :  22:32:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rowan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Of course.

An all too high percentage of the consuming public, addicted to being spoon-fed their thoughts through the popular media, actually does know less science than the 14 year old is required to learn. Alas, even that 14 year old may well forget that science only a few years later. Religion and psuedo-science are so much prettier to the uninquiring mind.

He filthy, what about those of us dolts whocan't understand anything outside of the english language?Refers to your sig.

jarhead offspring
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  06:17:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
I am SO not a science person (high school Chemistry made me weep, although I did earn an A). I do, however, read a lot. And I've always asked the "Why" questions.

So some questions from the Why Child who never totally grew up...

Even if they managed to put more oxygen into water, how would we utilize it, unless we inhaled it into our lungs?

Is it actually true that oxygen levels have gone down in cities? If so, why?

Finally, aren't hyperbaric (spelled wrong on the site) oxygen chambers for very sick people, not for rich foolish people? I've heard of oxygen "bars" where you breathe straight oxygen, but isn't this harmful long-term (ie free radicals, etc.)?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  07:43:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rowan

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Of course.

He filthy, what about those of us dolts whocan't understand anything outside of the english language?Refers to your sig.

What it is, I've once again rebuilt part of my battered, old rat of a motorcycle ('46 HD 'U' model) and I've gone with an ancient Roman motief. That is now hand-letered on the tank and I thought it'd make a neat sig as well.

And the deal is that I will give a medium-decent cigar to the first in my M/C club to translate it. Heh, some of those guys haven't been in the library, ever. And likely those Latin texts haven't seen the light of day in decades!

In short, I ain't gonna tell ya, at least not until someone wins the cigar!

Wanna try it?

Edited to add that the aforementioned motorcycle hasn't been washed in lo, this quarter century. I'm very proud of it.

Further edited to add; welcome to SFN! Hope you enjoy the ride.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 07/17/2004 09:08:53
Go to Top of Page

rickm
Skeptic Friend

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  09:29:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send rickm a Private Message
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. If you will not give me all of the money, I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
-- Woody Allen, Without Feathers, 1975
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.