New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  12:54:50  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
This article comes from a quirky little web site, but I'm still interested if any of the folks on this board have an opinion concerning G.W.'s stability.
http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_4930.shtml
I am a bit nervous if the guy truly is on "powerful anti-depressant drugs."

If the President suffers from a condition similar to clinical depression, does this affect his ability to lead?

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  16:02:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I read that one the other day.

I have been of the opinion that he's a sociopath for some time. Dunno for sure about the drugs, but I think he's on something. Further, I don't think he's altogether stopped drinking, although I have nothing to support that opinion.

His mood swing at that press conference was way out there. No competent politition, even Nixon, would ever let the press get to him like that. You might bitch, even snivel at the press, as Nixon did, but you never walk out on them.

He is in way over his head, had piss-poor advice (if he listens to it), and is not stable. It would not suprise me if he flipped out, entirely. The guy is genuinely scarey.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  23:54:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tim

From the article:
Among cabinet members, only Attorney General John Ashcroft, a fundamentalist who shares many of Bush's strict religious convictions, remains part of the inner circle. White House aides call Bush and Ashcroft the “Blue Brothers” because, like the mythical movie characters, “both believe they are on a mission from God.”

Scary!
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  06:31:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
Depression shouldn't disqualify someone from being president; nor should taking "powerful anti-depressant" drugs. There's no shame in mental illness.

Having said that, though, I've read other reports that assert that Bush is essentially a dry drunk--a recovering alcoholic whose behavior still resembles that of an active alcoholic. That worries me more than if he is depressed--depression is treatable.

Can't stand his administration but sometimes I actually feel sorry for him. I think he's a hapless puppet of the religious right and powerful corporate interests.

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  06:44:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tim

This article comes from a quirky little web site, but I'm still interested if any of the folks on this board have an opinion concerning G.W.'s stability.

If the President suffers from a condition similar to clinical depression, does this affect his ability to lead?

I wonder about the veracity of this article-- some of this sounds too frightening to be true. Moreover, I can't seem to find it on any mainstream news sites. Surely a story like this-- the President on "powerful" anti-depressants?!?-- would be on the front page of most papers, no?

Since I don't know, perhaps someone can tell me: what's the reputation of this publication?
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  07:20:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

quote:
Originally posted by Tim

I wonder about the veracity of this article-- some of this sounds too frightening to be true. Moreover, I can't seem to find it on any mainstream news sites. Surely a story like this-- the President on "powerful" anti-depressants?!?-- would be on the front page of most papers, no?

Since I don't know, perhaps someone can tell me: what's the reputation of this publication?

Offhand, I'd have to say questionable.

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/faq.asp

"Don't you take anything seriously?
Nah, we leave that to the politicians (and some of our readers). They take everything, including themselves, far too seriously. "

From their FAQ.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  09:33:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Thoughts......:

every now and then, you see a picture of Bush with little or no makeup. His nose and cheeks look like they are full of broken capillaries. He blooms like a rose. This is not necessarily an indication of continued drinking, but long-time drinkers often have them. My ex's face could be used for a road map.

I don't quite buy the pretzel yarn, although similiar has happened to me a couple of times. But, I felt it coming and laid back into the chair. The book's still open on that one.

Spills from his bicycle -- too many of them in too short of a time. Bush is no spring chicken. As you get older, you become more cautious. This is not to say that old farts (except me) should not ride mountain bikes; hell, I'm all for it. But, if I have the story straight, he's a novice. A wise novice takes it easy until he has some experience. More erratic behavior or possibly a tad high?

Being perfectly articulate in private conversation but all but speaking in tongues when under a little pressure.

Completly ridged in his thought -- unwilling or unable to consider dissenting opinions.

Refusal to accept any responsibility for anything that might put him in a bad light.

A history of torturing small animals and a disregard for life in general, including human.

A freeze-up when 9/11 went down.

And so forth.

This, we do not need to lead the country.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  13:28:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
A history of torturing small animals?

Geep!

Filthy, is there documentation for that? If you aren't making a jape based on his "ranch" or something like that, it's a genuinely scary thought- even more scary than GWB's visible traits in general, since it's one of a triad of behaviors common to a lot of serial killers.

Since the 2000 campaign, there have been anecdotes portraying Dubya as rigid, unable to manage frustration and prone to carpet-chewing episodes when frustrated.

Now that the Bush campaign has started demanding that people attending Presidential events sign loyalty oaths, those tales are looking somewhat more credible.

Enforcing a "yes-men only" policy, even at the expense of looking like idiot McCarthyites, is consistent with needing to protect someone who can't deal with opposition without flying off the handle.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  13:41:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
It was when he was a child; he would shove a firecracker down a frog and blow it up. I've seen several articles about it. I'll try and find one tonight. If they're still around they are a couple of years old, though.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  15:14:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Wow! There's a lot still around on frog-blasting mixed in with other stuff. Here's a couple of pieces of interest:

quote:
MIDLAND, Texas ANIMAL PEOPLE, July/August 2000
An alert for American voters and humane educators everywhere appeared on May 21 in the 61st through 64th paragraphs of a 76-paragraph NEW YORK TIMES feature on the childhood of Republican candidate for U.S. president George W. Bush -- if anyone noticed.
«One of the local rituals for children,» reported Nicholas D. Kristof of Life in Midland, Texas, when George W. was a boy, «were meetings with cookies and milk at the home of a nice old lady who represented the SPCA. The cookies were digested more thoroughly than the teachings.»
«`We were terrible to animals,' recalled [Bush pal Terry] Throckmorton, laughing. A dip behind the Bush borne turned into a small lake after a good rain, and thousands of frogs would come out. `Everybody would get BB guns and shoot them,' Throckmorton said. `Or we'd put firecrackers in the frogs and throw them and blow them up.'»

http://www.all-creatures.org/aip/nl-3nov2000-frogs.html

quote:
We are talking now about a guy who as a kid put firecrackers in frogs and threw them into the air to watch them explode. He cracked himself up in an interview with Talk magazine by mocking a woman on death row whose cries for mercy he scorned, screwing up his face and saying, "Please don't kill me!" in an impersonation of the deceased.

http://www.davidcogswell.com/MediaRoulette/HighKilling.html

No further comment. Anything else I might say would be anticlimactic.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.