Rhino International
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aodoi

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2001 :  11:37:59  Show Profile Send Aodoi a Private Message
I saw a commercial the other day for a couple products that just must be frauds, so I figured I'd post it here and see if I'm off base or something. The company is "Rhino International" and the products are the "internal antenna" and the "wave scrambler."

The internal antenna is supposed to improve reception on a cell phone... while I see how a larger antenna might improve your reception, I don't think this thing even touches the antenna... so how is it supposed to help?

And the "wave scrambler" is supposed to help protect you from the evil radio waves, but they showed the woman putting it on the cell phone... but not in between your head and the antenna! How's it supposed to "reflect 99% of electromagnetic radiation" if it's not even between you and the phone!

Anyway, these things strike me as pseudoscience garbage... unless somebody around here can shed some light on how they could actually work? Or is it just a company taking advantage of people?

comradebillyboy
Skeptic Friend

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2001 :  21:39:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send comradebillyboy a Private Message
they couldn't say it if it wasn't true.

comrade billyboy
Go to Top of Page

Dog_Ed
Skeptic Friend

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2001 :  23:30:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dog_Ed's Homepage Send Dog_Ed a Private Message
Here's the crux of their claims on the EMF protection:

"In the news media you've read about the potential risk from cellular radiation. Our shield can help reduce the amount of electromagnetic waves through the ear canal into the brain. Depending on how close the phone is to your head, as much as 60 percent of the microwave radiation penetrates your head through the ear canal, some reaching 1" to 1 1/2" into your brain!"

I think this is bogus; I think radio waves transmitted by cell phones probably pass through the bone and skin of your cranium just as easily as through your ear. I'm not sure, though--I could be wrong.

As far as the internal antenna, that might be plausible. My nice Onkyo stereo amp/receiver gets worse AM reception than my wife's cheapo radio because the cheapo has a big fat ferrite antenna hidden inside the box. Maybe there's a similar internal antenna that enhances microwave reception?

"Even Einstein put his foot in it sometimes"
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2001 :  23:41:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

And the "wave scrambler" is supposed to help protect you from the evil radio waves, but they showed the woman putting it on the cell phone... but not in between your head and the antenna! How's it supposed to "reflect 99% of electromagnetic radiation" if it's not even between you and the phone!

You know! If people didn't use those stupid car phone thingies anyway, we wouldn't have to have this conversation. Boy! I can't wait until I move to my new house, I'm not having any phones there....can't stand talking on them, never have like them.
Gee, Bell just wanted to help the deaf, however did so many people become so dependent on them? I hope you all get brain cancer.....so there!
nlm

Rap Crap is to music what Paint by Numbers is to art.
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2001 :  00:12:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
The bit about the "shield", I don't buy it. People are trying to sue the c-phone folks because of every bit of cancer, moles, or freckles. If a shield was the answer, c-phones would be equipped with them.
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

bestonnet_00
Skeptic Friend

Australia
358 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2001 :  00:19:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send bestonnet_00 an ICQ Message  Send bestonnet_00 a Yahoo! Message
Sorry Snake but Mobile phones don't cause cancer.

Radioactive GM Crops.

Slightly above background.

Safe to eat.

But no activist would dare rip it out.

As they think it gives them cancer.
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2001 :  05:50:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
I have heard that there is some evidence that the radiation involved in cell phone activity can accelerate the growth of existing tumors, but study after study has shown that cell phones are perfectly safe, and in no way cause the formation of cancerous brain tumors (or any other form of cancer).

------------

Hope springs eternal but there's no conviction
Actions mistaken for lip service paid
All this concern is the true contradiction
The world is insane...
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2001 :  09:07:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
I recall a related issue maybe 5 years ago. A state trooper in south Florida had a lawsuit claiming he had developed testicular cancer from storing his hand-held radar detector between his legs(!) when not in use. I have heard neither hide nor hair of this phenomenon lately.

This signature does not exist.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2001 :  17:14:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Sorry Snake but Mobile phones don't cause cancer.

I thought you said you have a sense of humor.
Or was that supposed to be funny, sounds like you are serious.
nlm

Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2001 :  22:55:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
I will have to agree with the majority regarding the EM shielding. I have not heard of anything similar.

The internal antenna is quite feasible, though: my car has an antenna inlaid into the rear windshield and has better reception than my friend's same model car with a traditional antenna. I also read (I believe it was in Scientific American, but I am not completely sure) that fractal patterns are ideal for inlaid antenna, since they have the requisite repetition to pick up usable signals, but enough disorder to ignore interference.

I am afraid I'm not clever enough to come up with a good signature, eh?
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2001 :  00:07:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

The internal antenna is quite feasible, though: my car has an antenna inlaid into the rear windshield and has better reception than my friend's same model car with a traditional antenna.

Oh, do you have a Toyota too?
We just got one and it's the 1st time I have an antenna like that. It was fun when the other one went up and down though. Also now, we don't have to turn on the radio dial, you just tap it and it goes on.
One BIG problem thought, speaking of sound, I still can't get completely rid of the base sound. I keep hearing a boom, boom when certain sound levels come on. I think someone said to take out two of the speakers. I hate to do that but how do I get rid of too much base?
nlm

Go to Top of Page

Blair Nekkid

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2001 :  09:18:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Blair Nekkid a Private Message
I know that products designed and built with ‘internal' antennae work just fine, but for these glorified stickers to work, they must be attached in some way to the antennae of your cell phone and not just pasted to the case somewhere.

I suppose that another possibility is that these are some sort of psychic/astral antennae what work in a mysterious way not obvious to those of us mired in the scientific world… Perhaps this is how James VanPraugh and John Edwards make their ‘connections' with the other side. Has anyone tried holding these bozos down and shaving their heads looking for signs of internal antennae? I doubt it would be fruitful, but it would be a lot of fun.

Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2001 :  20:58:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

I suppose that another possibility is that these are some sort of psychic/astral antennae what work in a mysterious way not obvious to those of us mired in the scientific world… Perhaps this is how James VanPraugh and John Edwards make their ‘connections' with the other side. Has anyone tried holding these bozos down and shaving their heads looking for signs of internal antennae? I doubt it would be fruitful, but it would be a lot of fun.

Not to change the subject! BUT, in another folder someone mentioned Edwards, I had never heard of him at the time but since then have seen ads on Ch. 9 that he was going to be on. Just today I happened to see the beggining of that show. HOW in the WORLD could anyone NOT know he's acting. Sheesh! What a showman he is. Must have studied improvisational acting. He's good. Ugly, but good!
nlm
ps. I'd pay to see his head shaved.

Edited by - snake on 08/30/2001 21:03:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.