Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  11:17:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:
Originally posted by verlch
You are full of evil, there is no good in you. Your house has become the habitation of devils...

This is a good example you passing judgment, Verlch. Double back on you!

(Why do I bother? Well, Verlch is pissing me off with his deliberate ignorance and refusal to see reason. When Plato talked about the Idea-world, I'm sure Verlch was the idea of the perfect bigot.)

Dr. M. How can you be angry at a person with a mental illness? Surely you recognize the babblings of a person who does not have rational thought? I don't mean to be sarcastic, I'm sorry because I know it sounds that way.

Is Verlch a religious person who has bought into extremes or a mentally ill person who has adopted religion into his delusions? Sadly, I think it is the latter.
Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  12:08:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:
You are full of evil, there is no good in you. Your house has become the habitation of devils...

This is a good example you passing judgment, Verlch. Double back on you!

(Why do I bother? Well, Verlch is pissing me off with his deliberate ignorance and refusal to see reason. When Plato talked about the Idea-world, I'm sure Verlch was the idea of the perfect bigot.)

Dr. M. How can you be angry at a person with a mental illness? Surely you recognize the babblings of a person who does not have rational thought? I don't mean to be sarcastic, I'm sorry because I know it sounds that way.

Is Verlch a religious person who has bought into extremes or a mentally ill person who has adopted religion into his delusions? Sadly, I think it is the latter.

Thanks for the compliments there pal. I didn't know you knew me so well!!! So I'm mentally ill for not believing in evolution, and disliking militant feminazism. If I had a choice between being truely mentally ill and believing in evolution, I would pick the mental illness, rather than a fantasy!!!

What came first the chicken or the egg?

How do plants exist without bugs in the soil, and bugs in the soil without plants producing oxygen?

There are no atheists in foxholes

Underlying the evolutionary theory is not just the classic "stuff" of science — conclusions arrived at through prolonged observation and experimentation. Evolution is first an atheistic, materialistic world view. In other words, the primary reason for its acceptance has little to do with the evidence for or against it. Evolution is accepted because men are atheists by faith and thus interpret the evidence to cor-respond to their naturalistic philosophy.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. II Timothy 4:3,4

II Thess. 2:11 And for this cause God shall
send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

You can not see the 'wind', but you can see its effect!!!!

Evolution was caused by genetic mistakes at each stage?

Radical Evolution has 500 million years to find fossils of fictional drawings of (hard core)missing links, yet they find none.

We have not seen such moral darkness since the dark ages, coencides with
teaching evolution in schools. (Moral darkness)

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places, EPH 6:12.

"Thus, many scientists embracing naturalism find themselves in the seeming dilemma recently articulated by biochemist Franklin Harold: "We should reject, as a matter of principle, the substitution of intelligent design for the dialogue of chance and necessity [i.e., Darwinian evolution]; but we must concede that there are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any biochemical system, only a variety of wishful speculations."
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  12:57:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
She not not say "So I'm mentally ill for not believing in evolution, and disliking militant feminazism." You did.

I agree with her BTW

You are ill because reason is beyond your grasp, I will not detail it because it is quite clear in the numerous threads on this board.

When someone says they will not change no matter what the evidence, I consider that ill. (not the cool beastie boys ill either.)

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  19:55:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
It's surprising to me that verlch continues to post to forums where the primary response to his posts is pity. His posts seem to be a mix of fear and anger. Fear that we might be right, anger at "How dare us to dismiss that which is the focus of his life as just another god myth".

Lately, I've come to be of the opinion that "Religion is the root of all kinds of evil." Look at the harm that it has done to verlch.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  20:30:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
moakley, I don't think religion is the root cause of the harm verlch has received. It's more the inability to change his mind once he's taken possession of a belief, whether it's a religious belief or not. He just happened to latch onto religion first, and all else followed along "logically."

This sort of thing can underlie atheistic worldviews, as well, and they're just as much jerks when their beliefs are threatened. Heck, I know a guy who's going through the same thing now with respect to guns. He's under the impression that the U.N. will soon pass a resolution which will outlaw gun ownership in the U.S. I'm told he's extremely paranoid and fearful of this event, just like verlch thinks that evolution is some sort of encroaching monster, and to hell with the facts.

I believe the psychological term for this is "cognitive dissonance."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  00:00:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Is Verlch a religious person who has bought into extremes or a mentally ill person who has adopted religion into his delusions?

verlch is a troll.

quote:
Lately, I've come to be of the opinion that "Religion is the root of all kinds of evil."

I agree. Any institution that discourages critical thinking and reason is ultimately detrimental to the race as a whole. Not to sound overly melodramatic.... but evil lurks in the shadows cast by superstition and fallacious reasoning.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  02:44:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Ah verlch, Siberia is not filled with evil. I am!

Siberia's house is not infested with demons. Mine is. Oh, the magnificent demons I gladly share bread and board with!

Just for the hell of it, I ask; how much study have you invested in the ToE beyond the utter nonsense put forth by ICR, et al.?

I answer myself: exactly none -- show me that I'm wrong.

The Holy Trinity does not tie my mind in knots. It is simply more confusion of the sort found in 'most all religions, indeed 'most all supernatural blather including the psychics. To a greater or lesser degree, it's always there.

Wait a minute, I am wrong! Verlch has been given a pretty good amount of solid, factual information on the Theory of Evoultion right here on these boards. But like Lord Nelson, he has put his telescope to his blind eye because he does not like the signals flown by the other ships.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 09/28/2004 02:46:25
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  06:27:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

quote:
Is Verlch a religious person who has bought into extremes or a mentally ill person who has adopted religion into his delusions?

verlch is a troll.

I disagree. Given his posting style and rigid thinking, I believe he could be President Bush.

verlch, Georgie Boy? That you, punk?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  08:11:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Ah verlch, Siberia is not filled with evil. I am!

Siberia's house is not infested with demons. Mine is. Oh, the magnificent demons I gladly share bread and board with!

It... isn't? :pouts: But... I thought it was!! What will I do with the uberfundie exorcist I had hired now?

You crack me up

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  10:00:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
It... isn't? :pouts: But... I thought it was!! What will I do with the uberfundie exorcist I had hired now?

Beat him up, lift his wallet, then blame it all on the demons.

Hey, that's what he'd do to you.........

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 09/28/2004 10:01:56
Go to Top of Page

Naked Ape

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  11:51:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Naked Ape a Private Message
quote:
So I'm mentally ill for not believing in evolution, and disliking militant feminazism.
No, I don't believe that those are the reasons for your illness.
quote:
If I had a choice between being truely mentally ill and believing in evolution, I would pick the mental illness, rather than a fantasy!!!

It seems that you have chosen mental illness, when you embraced the fantasy of your religion. Care to channel the holy spirit for us and answer the questions about the trinity? (If you are really indwelt by the holy spirit that is.) What does your invisible ghost friend have to say on the topic?

Cheers,

Naked Ape

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
--Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982)
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  14:36:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Thanks for the compliments there pal. I didn't know you knew me so well!!! So I'm mentally ill for not believing in evolution, and disliking militant feminazism. If I had a choice between being truely mentally ill and believing in evolution, I would pick the mental illness, rather than a fantasy!!!

It isn't your beliefs that indicate disorganized thought. It's your rantings about whores of Babylon and we're all going to hell, etc. that I base it on. Sorry. I thought about not posting this statement, then thought perhaps I would just bring it up and get it out there for discussion.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  18:48:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

moakley, I don't think religion is the root cause of the harm verlch has received. It's more the inability to change his mind once he's taken possession of a belief, whether it's a religious belief or not. He just happened to latch onto religion first, and all else followed along "logically."
I believe the psychological term for this is "cognitive dissonance."

I agree we each have our own cognitive bias, a personal filter on information and how we react to it. You and I are aware of this bias, so we don't react irrationally when this filter is violated. We consider the validity of the available data and are willing to change our minds.

When I said "Religion is the root of all kinds of evil." I did not intend this to be a condemnation of all peope of religion. Just a recognition of the harm it has done to people. From verlch's inability to consider any idea contrary to the teachings his bible, to killing in the name of a god.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  22:14:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
http://atheism.about.com/b/a/088828.htm

Muslims have more rights than me? You want to take God out of everything? Muslims get to sound a horn to pray to the East in an American city and my sons can't pray in school? Creationism can't be teached yet muslims can bow to Persia? Ten commandments can't be in a court room, even though our constitution is based on them?

John 3
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

What came first the chicken or the egg?

How do plants exist without bugs in the soil, and bugs in the soil without plants producing oxygen?

There are no atheists in foxholes

Underlying the evolutionary theory is not just the classic "stuff" of science — conclusions arrived at through prolonged observation and experimentation. Evolution is first an atheistic, materialistic world view. In other words, the primary reason for its acceptance has little to do with the evidence for or against it. Evolution is accepted because men are atheists by faith and thus interpret the evidence to cor-respond to their naturalistic philosophy.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. II Timothy 4:3,4

II Thess. 2:11 And for this cause God shall
send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

You can not see the 'wind', but you can see its effect!!!!

Evolution was caused by genetic mistakes at each stage?

Radical Evolution has 500 million years to find fossils of fictional drawings of (hard core)missing links, yet they find none.

We have not seen such moral darkness since the dark ages, coencides with
teaching evolution in schools. (Moral darkness)

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places, EPH 6:12.

"Thus, many scientists embracing naturalism find themselves in the seeming dilemma recently articulated by biochemist Franklin Harold: "We should reject, as a matter of principle, the substitution of intelligent design for the dialogue of chance and necessity [i.e., Darwinian evolution]; but we must concede that there are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any biochemical system, only a variety of wishful speculations."
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  22:24:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal
Dr. M. How can you be angry at a person with a mental illness? Surely you recognize the babblings of a person who does not have rational thought?
Alas, I think you might be right. I really should not get angry... It's just that it gets to me sometimes.

quote:

Given these two choices, I will also vote for the latter.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds.