Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2001 :  10:03:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
quote:

Seriously, though, I'm prepared to argue that we cannot properly address the topic question without first defining the term God, at least for the purposes of a particular discussion. This seems to me self-evident.

I am inclined to agree. Is there a definition of God that does not incorrectly (there's that double negative again) include information about what he/she/it has done rather than correctly describe what/who he/she/it actually is?

This signature does not exist.
Go to Top of Page

tergiversant
Skeptic Friend

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2001 :  10:55:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tergiversant's Homepage  Send tergiversant a Yahoo! Message Send tergiversant a Private Message
I've no idea how to go about defining any traditional notion god, I doubt it can be done without lapsing into noncognitivsm.

I'm just saying that the first step in evaluating the existence of a concept is to be clear on the concept.

Of course, if somebody asked me, "Do you believe in God?" while wearing a t-shirt that said "5-pt. Calvinist" then I'd simply reply with, "No." People should wear their dogma on their sleeves, I think.

"Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione."
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2001 :  08:56:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
quote:

I'm just saying that the first step in evaluating the existence of a concept is to be clear on the concept.

HEAR, HEAR!!!
There are few things more frustrating when discussing the existence, or lack there of, of god and have the person you are talking to change the definition in mid stride.
Only yesterday I was talking with a person who was a booster for the Omni-present god suddenly demand that I needed "Universal Knowledge" to know that there wasn't any such critter.
How god could be EVERYWHERE except where I happened to be was not explained. Nor was it explained why the supporter was not required to have the same Universal Knowledge to "know" what he claimed.
This is where the main problem with "proving a negative" comes in. Once you "prove" one thing the definition changes for what needed to be proved.

-------
The brain that was stolen from my laboratory was a criminal brain. Only evil will come from it.
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2001 :  15:09:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
I always (truthfully) state that I believe in *whatever is true*, that I do not proselytize anyone concerning my *religion*, and that I do not like proselytizers. Then I go on to change the subject.

In fact, a Jehovah's Witness proselytizer approached me just this morning as I was checking the oil level in my car. He kept trying, but I was firm about the fact that I did not proselytize and could not stand proselytizers. He eventually gave up and walked away.

I really feel sorry for the *true believers*, poor things.

ljbrs

*Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error.* Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Kaptain K

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2001 :  17:46:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Kaptain K a Private Message
Yes ... but then it gets tricky because the questioner is never satisfied with such a simple answer and won't let it go at that. My belief is a private matter between me and my god. I don't (and don't have to) go to a "church" to be with god, I don't prosyletize and I have no patience with those who do.

Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2001 :  09:16:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
The difference between prosyletizing and Madison Ave. type advertising seems to be that there are "truth in advertising" laws. If the product isn't what the advertiser claims it is you can get your money back.

Hmmm?

Dear John Paul II;
It has come to my attention that your product (the father, son and holy ghost) does not operate as you advertised. When invoked he (they) does not stay invoked. Also they were supposed to be the god of Love but have caused the death of untold millions, I suggest you do an immediate recall.
In the mean time please refund all the money from your collection plates.
cc: The Better Business Bureau

-------
The brain that was stolen from my laboratory was a criminal brain. Only evil will come from it.
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2001 :  14:58:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
quote:

My choice isn't there...

Yes, but I STILL haven't won the lottery yet.

Mine either- "Yes, but if you're looking for a truck bomb driver, I'm employed."
(:raig

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2001 :  19:18:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
I responded once, "Yes, but I can't buy your vegetarian cookbook… I'm on an all-meat diet," but I have to admit that- although it's entertaining, I grow a little weary with the whole issue. A military analyst during the Eisenhower administration commented that our strategic objective was to be able to reduce every major Russian city… not just to gravel… but to SAND. Similarly, regarding the "God stuff," I started to wonder long ago whether I was getting philosophically "Out of control." If the obvious(?) isn't enough, pretty clearly, the "God" bit was logically and empirically (prayer, miracles, etc.) reduced to SAND long ago, and further reducing it to POWDER is pointless, since the trump card of the faithful, and those sucking the cash of the faithful, will, as God (him?)self, eternally remain intact… since God exists in a realm "beyond all that"… well, what can I say?

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

bjones
Skeptic Friend

Australia
82 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2001 :  17:39:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bjones a Private Message
You my not find an atheist in a fox hole nor will you ever find an athiest dleiberately crashing a plane load of innocent passengers into the World Trade Center

Bob

Remember: when you die your philosophy dies with you

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2001 :  12:19:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:

You my not find an atheist in a fox hole nor will you ever find an athiest dleiberately crashing a plane load of innocent passengers into the World Trade Center

Bob

Remember: when you die your philosophy dies with you

Um, I know some atheists that would disagree with you here. (And for jarheads they're fighting holes.)

He's YOUR god, they're YOUR rules, YOU burn in hell!
Go to Top of Page

Ray K

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2001 :  21:25:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Ray K's Homepage Send Ray K a Private Message
quote:

When asked if you believe in God you say...

I usually snicker and reply with "Of course not. Do you?"

"Barbarism is the natural state of mankind... Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always triumph"

Edited by - Ray K on 09/13/2001 21:26:47
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2001 :  22:23:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
I used to wrestle with the matter- wondering whether every event- regardless of how frequently inane, or senseless- was influenced by God and His obliging cohorts. Or, as it would appear, "randomness," however one wants to define it, rules. A statistics course later, I reached a blissful compromise. Millennium ago, the workload was divided, with these matters delegated to coin flipping angels and demons… a most dull, and redundant duty (God and Satan both issue coins skewed to suit their particular temperaments, of course.) Then Mr. Boole (of Boole's Law fame) came along with the sacrilegious gall to quantify matters- clearly, this couldn't go unpunished. Seeing Boole wasn't a bad guy… not the usual Hell variety- but not Heaven material, either- God seized the opportunity to blow away both problems. Boole was allowed part-time residence in Heaven, under the contingency he rid the angels of this most undesirable task. Satan so liked the idea, that he similarly lifted the burden from the shoulders of his disgruntled demons when Boole resided in Hell. When your brilliance dominates the football pool, and the boss takes a vacation- Boole's in Heaven. If you're not hitting at the slots or the card table, your wife's mad, and the meanies at the finance company are threatening to take away your Jet Ski… you get the idea.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

rickm
Skeptic Friend

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2001 :  09:50:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send rickm a Private Message
Um, I know some atheists that would disagree with you here. (And for jarheads they're fighting holes.)

Holes that fight? This I gotta see.

"What would chairs look like if our knees bent the other way"
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2001 :  17:12:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Hee, hee

Yeah well.....foxes run to ground to hide - jarheads don't.

Go to Top of Page

rickm
Skeptic Friend

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2001 :  18:30:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send rickm a Private Message
quote:

Hee, hee

Yeah well.....foxes run to ground to hide - jarheads don't.

Forgive me Trish, I thought that the term jarhead was a derogatory term.

Jarhead- A slang term used by sailors as early as World War II to refer to members of the Marine Corps, drawing the term from the resemblance of the Marine dress blues uniform, with its high collar, to a Mason jar which at the time was made from blue glass.*

"What would chairs look like if our knees bent the other way"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds.