Ohio votes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  12:31:25  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Was anyone else watching CNN at 4:30? They still had not declared Ohio to Bush. 98% of the votes were counted, and I think Bush was up by some 200,000 votes. All other stations had declared Ohio to Bush. Many people were saying that it is pretty much impossible for Kerry to win Ohio, I heard he needed to win 80% of the votes that haven't been counted, and many of those votes were going to be coming from republican sectors.

Another thing to note is that before, CNN had declared Ohio to Bush, then took it away. Now why would they do this? My answer is ratings. As long as there was no winner, people would watch the show. Just think of what happened to the ratings in 2000 with Florida. Everyone was watching one of the 24 news channels. CNN wanted to make this a repeat here, so they didn't give Ohio to Bush when they really should have.

Anyone think that I am overthinking this? Anyone agree?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  12:56:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
They only took Ohio away from Kerry after Kerry's camp said they would contest Ohio.

WHAT were the voters in Ohio thinking?!! If only one state in the Nation voted for Kerry it should have been Ohio. They are being hit harder than any other state economically.

P.S. This was rhetorical, I already know the answer.
P.S.S. The real answer...Ohio voter for Bush = ignorant voter.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  06:27:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
How can you say Ohio voters are ignorant. I grew up in Cincinnati, OH and let me tell you there are some sharp voters there. I remember when we voted in Jerry Springer as the mayor of Cincinnati and, ah, I mean, well... OK, maybe you're right!

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  10:02:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

How can you say Ohio voters are ignorant.

Ok, people keep doing this to me. I did not say Ohio voters are ignorant. I said Ohio voters for Bush are.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  13:27:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
Every Summer the Ohio Navy (aka tourists from Ohio) comes down to Lake Cumberland to dump trash everywhere, empty their houseboat tanks into our water supply, and complain that there's no beer (okay, I complain about that, too). Labor Day comes and they leave. We clean up after them. I was counting on the good people of Ohio to come through for us. Yes, Kentucky was a red state, but we're poor ignorant plain folk who need guidance from our now unemployed neighbors to the North. Was it too much to ask Ohio? We ask so little, and we give so much.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  10:56:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Ohio, wasn't that the home of the burning river? Perhaps there was residual brain damage in some.

Kidding aside, it's easy to focus on Ohio because it was the last state with enough electoral numbers to make or break the outcome. Face it, if the vote wasn't rigged**, there's at least 51% of the voters out there who are equally stupid. Most are from the 'middle' states. Ohio was surrounded by both blue and red states as I recall.

Yes, go ahead and attack. Bush supporters are stupid. They had to be to have ignored all the damning evidence of Bush's incompetence. Well, with perhaps a few exceptions for folks who just couldn't let go of their Republican identity. These are people like John McCain and Colon Powell.

**(I'm not convinced totally about vote fraud though it's hard to believe there was a wide enough conspiracy to pull it off so I'm looking to see if there was any centralized connection to potential vote manipulation.)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.