Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  19:23:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
March 23: Stanley Pons and Martin Fleischmann announced their discovery
of cold fusion.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  06:41:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Calling Dr. Mabuse! I know you had an idea for this thing. What was it?

I must be gatting Alzheimer-light or something because I don't remember what it was. The respose I got wasn't overwhelmingly enthuseastic so I figured the idea wasn't good enough, thus not worth remembering. Yet another reason why the chat should be recorded. Perhaps not for public viewing, but at least for site owner and editor, for cases like this (or in case of legal disputes).

Perhaps it will come to me eventually.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  06:44:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
A wasp (ERV-virus) unsing an enormous stinger to inject spiral (DNA/RNA)strands into a huge cell.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 11/12/2004 06:45:39
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2004 :  22:36:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

Ooo, I love Wendy's idea.

Thanks, Siberia. Since this is a discussion about the calendar it seems appropriate to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Ah, to be twenty again...

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  04:19:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I'd like to nominate Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith for July 8th, the day this fascinating scoundrel was shot through his black and slippery heart..

quote:
During the mid 1800's, Leadville's streets were becoming jammed with individuals looking for ways to make a fast buck during the Lake County boom era. Women of pleasure openly advertised their wares, saloons were doing a bustling business, and a host of street merchants and entertainers could be found almost everywhere hawking their products. Even the famous Doc Holiday had arrived in Leadville, only to find himself arrested twice in three days for attempted murder. It truly was a wild time in Leadville's history. Con-men were also common on the streets, exersizing some pretty creative ideas on how to seperate a few dollars here and there from the local citizenry.

http://www.leadville.com/history/soapy.htm

The scam that started Mr. Smith off and gave him his handle was to package bars of (badly needed) soap with one bar in the case having a 100 dollar bill under the wrapper, and set up shop. A confederate would buy this bar and unwrap it where it would be seen. As soon as the word got around, Soapy would sell his over-priced wares out rapidly.

The Soapster was to go on to bigger and far better flim-flams. During the Alaskan gold rush, he and his organization of rascals practically owned Skagway for a couple of years. One of their more outrageous schemes was to set up a phony army recruiting station. There they would steal their victim's cloths and any thing else he might have while he was getting his ‘physical.'

And at this point, although he was now a wealthy man, outright thuggery was not beneath him and his crew. They were accused of armed robbery and murder, although no one was eager to bring it to court.

Soapy finally conned a miner out of a considerable amount of gold, resulting in the formation of a vigilance committee. In the ensuing fight, on July 8, 1898, he was shot dead by Frank Reid. Reid too, was mortally wounded in the same scrap.

http://www.library.state.ak.us/goldrush/stories/soapy.htm

http://library.thinkquest.org/5181/Soapy.htm?tqskip1=1

Post-mortem photo of Soapy:

http://www.arcticwebsite.com/SoapyDead.html

A worthy nominee for SFN immortality? Whaddya think?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 11/14/2004 04:29:53
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  07:19:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

Ooo, I love Wendy's idea.

Thanks, Siberia. Since this is a discussion about the calendar it seems appropriate to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Ah, to be twenty again...

Awww, thank you

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.