Page: of 2

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  10:56:55  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
http://groups.msn.com/EvolutionVCreation/creationistdictionary.msnw

quote:
Evidence: Observable and measurable material that can be used to demonstrate things unless the conclusions drawn from it contradict the overriding truth of a literal Genesis.

quote:
False: That which disagrees with a literal interpretation of the Bible, especially Genesis.

quote:
Flintstones, The: Cartoon in which early human life is portrayed accurately, including interactions with dinosaurs.
quote:

Moon craters: Possibly the result of a supernatural battle between Satan and Michael.

There's lots more. Kind of scary, though, that there are those who would agree with these. Anyway, enjoy!

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  14:16:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
After the Flintstones sillinesss, I especally liked this one:

quote:
Notice: Microsoft has no responsibility for the content featured in this group. Click here for more info.
That's the only thing in there that actually makes sense.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  14:49:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Mercy sakes, how do these people even find their way to the dinner table, and avoid injuring themselves with a fork when they get there?

quote:
Zebra: An animal in the horsey kind whose stripes were originally created not for avoiding predators but for decoration only.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  15:08:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
This is my favorite:

quote:

Ellipses: A series of three periods (...) which is perfect for getting rid of inconvenient parts of quotes while maintaining pure creationist integrity.

Edit:

And this is the best definition of "kind" that I have ever seen:

quote:
Kinds: 1. The original living things God created and their similar descendants. For example, the doggy kind, the horsey kind, the bacteria kind. Humans (Homo sapiens sapiens) are always in their own separate kind which does not and can not include any apes. 2. Whatever we want it to be (though humans must always remain separate). Depending on the argument, can range from superkingdom to subspecies. Human's version taxonomy is atheistic and not reflective of God's holy taxonomy. [See Taxonomy.]

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 11/06/2004 15:13:05
Go to Top of Page

byhisgrace88
Formerly "creation88"

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  15:10:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send byhisgrace88 an AOL message Send byhisgrace88 a Private Message
This is crazy. I could go out and find a bunch of morons who were evolutionists, and collect some pretty stupid quotes too. I would never do that though because it would be mis-leading. There are smart evolutionists who could give good definitions. In the same way there ARE smart creationists who would give reasonable definitions.

So get over you're mis-leading creationist/christian bashing. GROW UP!

Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desire, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  15:15:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Creation88, this is in the humor folder. It is only supposed to be funny, not taken seriously. If you have some evolution quotes which are comical in nature, I would love to hear them.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  15:29:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
So get over you're mis-leading creationist/christian bashing. GROW UP!

quote:
joke n.
Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement...

quote:
The gods too are fond of a joke.
Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  10:39:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I couldn't get past atheist and atheism without gagging.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  11:25:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
C88, this is the humor folder. If your offedned, don't read. It's kinda like Eddie Murphy and Richard Prior, if FUCK offends you, then don't listen to those guys.

Same applies here, if us making fun of the rediculous claims made by morons offends you, don't read it.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  13:42:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Biology: The study of life through the light of the Bible.
Hmmm. I don't recall much text about biology in the Bible beyond the Songs of Soloman and the hypnotically dull 'begat' series (if you haven't read the begats, don't. They will make your brain soggy).

Oops, wait a minute! I forgot talking snakes and people evolving into salt. Perhaps there's more?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  18:01:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Funny satire, that cretin dictionary - it got me going for a minute. Did you check the rest of the site out???

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  21:04:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Randy:
Funny satire, that cretin dictionary - it got me going for a minute. Did you check the rest of the site out???

Yeah I looked around. Some interesting stuff, a lot of topics already seen here. All in all I like SFN quite a bit more.

But if you liked the glossary, you'll probably like their Quotes from Creationists:

http://groups.msn.com/EvolutionVCreation/quotesfromcreationists.msnw

quote:
Hovind, Kent: "If Evolution is true, there is no Creator, so laws come from mans opinion. That is called a democracy, which is a terrible form of government. Democracies always degenerate into dictatorships. In America, it is sad to say, has become a democracy. "

Plenty more where that came from.

T. H. Huxley

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  21:31:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck

Yeah I looked around. Some interesting stuff, a lot of topics already seen here. All in all I like SFN quite a bit more.
Speaking for everyone: thanks.

I'm hoping it's the wider appeal that wins your approval. Overall, we're trying to promote critical thought in all areas, and not focusing on just the creation/evolution conflict.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  03:41:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I hadn't gone through it -- usually, I do. Not bad at all. Much of the Hovind nonsense is everywhere on the web.

I think that Kent missed his calling. He would have made a great stand-up comic.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  09:24:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Hovind thinks himself smarter than Einstein? Wtf?
I mean, really. I knew the man was insane, but those quotes removed any doubt... he's like, ridiculously silly.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  10:47:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by DaveW:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by R.Wreck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking for everyone: thanks.

I'm hoping it's the wider appeal that wins your approval. Overall, we're trying to promote critical thought in all areas, and not focusing on just the creation/evolution conflict.

Yes, the range of forums / topics means one can usually find something to catch one's interest. But what I think distinguishes SFN is the depth of discussions. And we seem to attract some interesting visitors!

And thanks to you and the rest of the staff. Keep up the good work!

T. H. Huxley

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.