New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  07:24:18  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
The US Air Force just funded a 7.5million$ study to see about the possibilty of Psychic Teleportation.

"If we dont turn over stones, we wont know if we missed something." I think Im going to puke.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  08:44:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
That is... scary.
Really, really scary.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  08:48:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

The US Air Force just funded a 7.5million$ study to see about the possibilty of Psychic Teleportation.

"If we dont turn over stones, we wont know if we missed something." I think Im going to puke.

This is a joke, right?
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  09:28:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
No it is not a joke unfortunatly... www.space.com

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  09:48:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
Hell, I'd have sold 'em my copy of Time and Again for a fraction of that. It would cover the cost of my move to Canada.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  10:22:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

They do realize that trance teleportation is only possible as a mutation in Paranoia RPG.

More of my hard earned money down a rat hole.

Shit, they could have talked to members of my religion to find out that the whole concept is a load of crapola.

On second thought, perhaps I could put in a bid to do the research. I'd just expend the money on a lavish lifestyle I'd like to become accusomed to and then tell them it's utter bullcrap. Anyone with me?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Edited by - Valiant Dancer on 11/05/2004 10:24:42
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  10:55:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I've looked into the future and seen that Psychic Teleportation isn't possible. Think they'd pay me for that information?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  11:24:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
On second thought, perhaps I could put in a bid to do the research. I'd just expend the money on a lavish lifestyle I'd like to become accusomed to and then tell them it's utter bullcrap. Anyone with me?

Right there with ya

Seriously man. I had my hopes up when I saw Teleportation Physics, then it went down and down the rabbit hole when I saw their particular choice.

Some people should just be shot.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  11:41:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
This is out of the ordinary, how?

The military is famous for exactly this sort of thing. They do it because their funding is largely based on their spending. If they find that they are running a surplus, they need to get rid of some money or else their approations for the next year might be cut. This goes from the top all the way down to individual units. The only difference here is the proxmity to woo woo land, and even that is not all that uncommon. There's been a lot of idiot research done by the militaty. I seem to recall ESP studies (:sneer:) being carried out in the '50s and '60s by both us and the Soviets. The system being what it is, they might be still going on.

And of course, many otherwise intelligent people actually believe in this hogwash.

On the plus side, I suppose, this sort of thing gives a certain few people something to do between Sci-Fi/Fantasy conventions.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  14:12:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
This is a section from the 'study':
quote:
PK phenomenon was also explored in the Remote Viewing program. Col. J. B. Alexander (USA ret.)
credits professional aerospace engineer Jack Houck for “capturing PK phenomenon and transitioning it
into an observable form” (Houck, 1982, 1984a, b; Alexander et al., 1990; Alexander, 2003). During the
past three decades, Houck (along with Alexander) held a number of PK sessions, whereby attendees are
taught the PK induction process, and initiate their own PK events using various metal specimens (forks,
spoons, etc.). Individuals were able to completely bend or contort their metal specimens with no physical
force being applied whatsoever. Numerous government science advisors and senior military officials
took part in and/or witnessed these events, which took place at the Pentagon, at officers' or scientists'
homes, and at one quarterly INSCOM retreat attended by the commanding general and a group of
colonels and generals commanding INSCOM units around the globe. Spontaneous deformation of the
metal specimens was observed at the PK session conducted during the INSCOM retreat, causing a great
deal of excitement among those present. Other notable trained observers were also present at this session,
and they critically reviewed the events. Psychic Uri Geller (1975) is the original model for demonstrating
Approved for public release; distribution unlimited.
PK metal bending. During a talk that he gave at the U.S. Capitol building, Uri caused a spoon to curve
upward with no force applied, and then the spoon continued to bend after he put it back down and
continued with his talk (Alexander, 1996).

The complete study can be found here (if you can stomach it):
http://www.fas.org/sgp/eprint/teleport.pdf

Remote viewing, URI GELLER, bent spoons... give me a break fer crissake!?!

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

dominic_dice
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  01:18:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dominic_dice a Private Message
Then again, when they do find it to be a load of bullcrap, it will be evidence that it isn't real right?

"Are you THE dominic_dice"
"No, a dominic_dice. I come in six packs now"
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  03:10:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dominic_dice

Then again, when they do find it to be a load of bullcrap, it will be evidence that it isn't real right?

When they find out it is a load of bullcrap, if they haven't already or knew that going in, they will either quietly drop it without comment or keep it going with with an occasional comment on how great it's coming along. SOP.

After all, we're talking about an orgaization that paid $600 per for Hypnotoad-knows-how-many toilet seats some years back, and seemed happy to do it. Little has changed in the interm.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  14:46:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Bush should have used TeleKinesis-soldiers in the first invasion-wave in Iraq.
First in, TKers hurling psi-balls all over the place. When they sent word back that the land was secure, that's when the rest of the ground troops should have moved in.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

byhisgrace88
Formerly "creation88"

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  15:12:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send byhisgrace88 an AOL message Send byhisgrace88 a Private Message
It is a bit silly, but is it really crazier then funding for baby killing?

Besides, 7.5M is pocket change.

Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desire, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  15:22:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

It is a bit silly, but is it really crazier then funding for baby killing?

Damn! You have some really big pockets! Seriously though, that is the attitude that we need to get rid of. In a falling economy with losing jobs and the price of fossil fuels on the rise with a winter coming, you can't just say anything is pocket change. Let alone 7.5m. We need to try to save more money, no waste it on useless research such as "Why do prisoners dislike prison?" (that was from Lewis Black, I have no idea if it is true).

And honestly, why bring abortion into this?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  15:35:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:

You don't happen to be an elected official, do you?

quote:
A billion here, a billion there - pretty soon it adds up to real money.
Senator Everett Dirksen

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.