New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

River

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  13:16:41  Show Profile  Send River an AOL message  Send River a Yahoo! Message Send River a Private Message

Similar to many of you, I was recently bounced from s‘KTimes and though I myself was not that concerned about it, someone in my neighborhood was. She lives in the house that broadcasts the wi-fi that my house and one other gets (although she has been told that large drops occur in service with some in coincidence to the local bus route) and when I was walking home yesterday and told her about their citing her one post said that she was sorry for “…getting me in trouble.” I had told her about tk and his brother a while ago at one of their house parties and she sympathized, but the next week said that after the responses to her first message, looking around the forum, and listening to some of the radio shows that she was not interested in “…dealing with the problems of these children, their parents should be doing that.” And now the mysterious third member of the crew is hinted at (it is a growing movement …what posts did this last lurking infiltrator insert into the forum to cause his name not to be spoken… dun dunn daaaa???

So how about the real reason I was dropped from the group. It was because of what I said about Kent Hovind from this Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:20 pm http://skeptictimes.golivewire.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=567 in which I respond to Dr. Mabuse. It must have been the combination of pointing out the ease that one can get a doctorate that is equal in accreditation to Hovind's by sending a few bucks off to a diploma mill (and be ordained for free www.ulc.org) and that I pointed out one, out of the MANY mistakes and misrepresentations, question that I posed to Hovind during my confrontation with him on the Infidel Guy show. I talked with Johnathan the other day and he thanked me for calling him up and giving him a web site that he could order another copy of “Quaternary Stratigraphic Nomenclature in Unglaciated Central Alaska: Geological Survey Professional Paper 862”. It seems that the library at CSE is very well shuffled and it is very hard to find any title without pretty pictures on the cover that make it easy to see (was it is the Hurricanes). I have expressed my interest in helping them if I ever pass through (I would love to get a book list of the most worn and dog-eared tomes), being a book worm most of my life I think I could do a good job.

Well this gets down to the main title of this post. A while ago I was given an offer (I'm not sure by whom now) to start a little subsection to the forum, I feel that this would be a great time to start now that I have gotten a site for an on-line debate between Hovind and myself (InfidelGuy.com) and need to start the process of format agreement with Kent. He has said many times in the past that the best way is a point by point and since I agree I will be pushing a point by point discussing the scientific references Hovind uses in his seminars and previous debates. The above-mentioned “GSPP 862” could itself take up a good portion of the show.

I will also send a link to this page to “The Skeptic Times” and see if they will reinstate me. Since tk said “attach the atheist label” http://www.infidelguy.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7539&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 I'm sure he will be changing a lot of things at his site.

Thanx

River

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  14:46:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
While I myself have not participated at ST, I've sort of followed it along a bit. Tk seems to have trouble adjusting to conflicting opinions however well they're documented and presented.

Be interesting to see how it comes out.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  16:18:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
I try to pay little attention to tk and his little crowd over on his website. They have banned everyone here (who has bother to sign up at that forum) atleast once...

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  19:28:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
I try to pay little attention to tk and his little crowd over on his website. They have banned everyone here (who has bother to sign up at that forum) atleast once...

At face value, it appears that kevkev and his bannings were not approved by tkster (although it appears as if tkster has not punished kevkev for it). We can't say whats going on behind the scenes over there, or if anything is at all. So to say that "they" have banned everyone here is an unsupported assertion, no?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  19:39:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
River you have been let back in. But next time someone posts with your IP address, let me know or else my mods have all the right to be suspicious.

And yes Ricky, Kevin has been on a banning spree. I have disabled the "mod-ban" so now only I can do it. My moderators will have to vote on a ban, and I intend on promoting two non-Christian moderators. If Kil is interested he's on my desired list as is Athena.

tk
Edited by - tkster on 11/22/2004 19:58:16
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  20:14:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
tkster:
If Kil is interested he's on my desired list as is Athena.

I hate to say this but If I took that job it would only be to annoy Kevin. Thanks for the offer tkster, but I have my hands full over here as an administrator and a moderator as well as a not particularly regular columnist (no prune jokes) and a contributing writer…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  21:14:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
So to say that "they" have banned everyone here is an unsupported assertion, no?

They, in the sense that "they" implies the moderator and admin of the board. Forum mods are people that are entrusted with authority by site admins. They act/speak in their area with the voice of the administrator.

So "they" in this instance is appropriate, and not unsupported, as forum mods derive their individual authority from the site admin/s.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  21:51:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

quote:
So to say that "they" have banned everyone here is an unsupported assertion, no?

They, in the sense that "they" implies the moderator and admin of the board. Forum mods are people that are entrusted with authority by site admins. They act/speak in their area with the voice of the administrator.

So "they" in this instance is appropriate, and not unsupported, as forum mods derive their individual authority from the site admin/s.

Is it possible that the mods rebel and this is not the case?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 11/22/2004 21:52:41
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  22:35:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Ricky:
Is it possible that the mods rebel and this is not the case?

Well, the truth is, the administrators do have a lot more buttons they can push than the moderators have. Including one that would instantly demote a moderator...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  23:24:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
They have banned everyone here (who has bother to sign up at that forum) at least once...

I've been banned two times, that's just as many as Ricky and Kil together!

Though I took offence at the time, now looking back on it all, I see it in a completely different perspective. Today it seems only funny/sad, yet promising that tkster has announced that he has started his journey as a non-believing skeptic.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  12:19:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:
They have banned everyone here (who has bother to sign up at that forum) at least once...

I've been banned two times, that's just as many as Ricky and Kil together!

Though I took offence at the time, now looking back on it all, I see it in a completely different perspective. Today it seems only funny/sad, yet promising that tkster has announced that he has started his journey as a non-believing skeptic.

Not true, I've been banned twice as well. Once when tkster suddenly decided to ban all athiests (ohhhh the irony) and then again right now.

Nice try mab

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  19:24:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:

Not to kick a dead horse, but are you sure you really want Athena for the job? Whatever her motives were here, and I can guess, I would say her actions are questionable…

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  19:45:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:

Not to kick a dead horse, but are you sure you really want Athena for the job? Whatever her motives were here, and I can guess, I would say her actions are questionable…

That IS true ...

tk
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  19:53:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
To quote Kil: "Oh good grief..." Athena is very much less than wise. Leaving that thread there, tkster, is less than wise of you.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  21:34:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky
Not true, I've been banned twice as well. Once when tkster suddenly decided to ban all athiests (ohhhh the irony) and then again right now.

Nice try mab

Damn, I was sure I'd get away with it... Seriously, I missed your first ban. Now you ruined my image.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  22:10:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Here is where I commented on myself being banned:

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2952&whichpage=7

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.