Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 General Skepticism
 The skeptic times, is it going to be skeptical?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  15:17:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Actually, it should have said:

"unquestionable content".

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  20:48:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Did they just say that "I don't know what you're talking about." is an argument from ignorance?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  20:57:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Did they just say that "I don't know what you're talking about." is an argument from ignorance?

Well, actually they called it an appeal to ignorance, which perhaps in their minds is something different. (You know, like an appeal to authority, only this would be an appeal to those who don't know squat.)

Honestly though, at this point would you expect anything less? It might be funny if they weren't so damn smug about how smart they all are.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/07/2004 21:24:27
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2004 :  19:55:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
So, I was finally banned from Skeptic Times...

Good Riddance, I say!
When Kevkev called me Neo-Nazi in the abortion thread I lost my temper and got a bit verbally abusive.
What that poor excuse for a plastic bag of dog-feces is too clueless to understand is that calling someone Neo-Nazi in my part of the world is a serious no-no. Definitely worse than what I told him to do...
Most of the regulars there were stupid, dumb, clueless tkster-sychophants (or something, they suck up to him big time) anyway. Marvelling about their narrow-mindedness is addictive, but I'll get over it soon enough.

(Edit spelling)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 10/11/2004 19:57:32
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2004 :  21:01:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Most of the regulars there were stupid, dumb, clueless tkster-sychophants

After spending two months there, I completely agree with this statement.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2004 :  04:01:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
When Kevkev called me Neo-Nazi in the abortion thread I lost my temper and got a bit verbally abusive.

I should have called him a KKK-member. Most neo-nazies is Sweden don't burn crosses anymore, how is it in the US?

Edited to add: I have little hope that tkster will chastice kevkev for his lack of diplomacy.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 10/12/2004 04:23:45
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2004 :  04:28:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
Indeed, I stopped going to the skeptictimes site after the saliva dropping out of my monitor caused my computer to malfunction.
On a more serious note. How is neo-nazism in Sweden? In the Netherlands they really don't have a voice anymore.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2004 :  06:27:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I should have called him a KKK-member. Most neo-nazies is Sweden don't burn crosses anymore, how is it in the US?

Edited to add: I have little hope that tkster will chastice kevkev for his lack of diplomacy.

The Triple K rope club still "illuminates" crosses. SCOTUS has defended their rights to religious expression.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2004 :  06:47:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tomk80

Indeed, I stopped going to the skeptictimes site after the saliva dropping out of my monitor caused my computer to malfunction.
On a more serious note. How is neo-nazism in Sweden? In the Netherlands they really don't have a voice anymore.

Once every other month or so you hear about white-power music gatherings or similar in the press, usually because of disturbances either due to drunkedness or clashing between them and anti-fascist, left-oriented activists.
I recall the police doing a raid at a couple of leader's homes this summer where illegal guns were seized. They do a pretty decent job at keeping nazis under control.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2004 :  09:13:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
So... the YEC's are allowed to be insulting and rude.... but nobody else huh?

Makes me glad I never bothered to register on their forum.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2004 :  15:52:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

So... the YEC's are allowed to be insulting and rude.... but nobody else huh?

Makes me glad I never bothered to register on their forum.

Indeed. After I was put on the black-list, several of my posts have mysteriously disappeard from the forum without a trace. Well, not entirely since there are still quoted fragemts left in posts by other members. At least they could have just blanked my posts and left a message saying "contents deleted due to violation of rule #x". When the moderators edit a post for any reason they usually don't leave a message saying who did what.

Luckily, I did make a copy of two posts that I suspected might get tampered with. I guess tkster couldn't be trusted to be honest.
A pity really, because he started from scratch in my book (I make a concious effort not to judge a person beforehand, but after I've seen what kind of stripes he's wearing) but he's gone south ever since.

Here is one of the posts that got deleted:
quote:
quote:
kevkev @ 2004 Oct Sun 10, 4:55 am wrote:
coming from the guy who backed out from a debate with hovind? buwahahahah. tho i admit, if you had have accepted that debate, hovind would have killed you.

Almost certainy he would.

You know that it takes much less time to make an assertion than it takes to back it up, and it takes a hell of a lot more time to show why an assertion is false.

For every false assertion that Hovind blasts away, the opposite side won't have a chance to show why it is so. And a debate is not about who is actually right or who tells the truth. It's about making an impression on the audience, and make them believe you are right.
And when it comes to blasting assertions, Hovind is indeed a master. I don't know anyone who could touch his skill in debating, other than an audience trained in critical thinking, who just do not take his word it just because he claims himself Christian.

Hovind NEVER participates in any internet forum debates, because he knows that this will give his opponent time enough to explain to the forum audience how and why many of his assertions are not correct.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  12:25:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Haha, after 2 months there I have finally been banned. Here is the post that got me banned (be prepared to be shocked). This is speaking to atheists and evolutionists who were calling skeptic times and tk himself names:

quote:

Look guys, you don't enter someones house and then start bashing them. We are in their house. Think what you want, but remember that if you had insulted me in my house, I would surely kick you out, whether it was right or not (ok, thats not true for me, but for a majority of people it is). I agree that the name Skeptic Times does decieve most people.

Most skeptics who are in control of forums would ask you to back up those names instead of just banning you. Its not like that here. If you want to post here follow the rules. I have been doing so for 2 months and I have been able to critize many points without being banned. Stay in control, name calling is not needed. If they are such, show it through arguments, not flames.

(note: I agree with the post 100%, but those words would never come out of my mouth here)

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  12:44:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
All 'atheists' have been banned from SkepticTimes.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  12:51:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

All 'atheists' have been banned from SkepticTimes.

So according to this tk isn't going to let Peptide post his first argument? WTF! Why? This is f*ing ridiculous.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/13/2004 12:52:11
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  12:52:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
Does this mean peptide's debate is closed before it even started? Or is he still allowed to post?

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds.