Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  12:53:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Hello Shacal, and welcome to madness SFN!

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  13:16:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
The mystery of the_ignored's signature uncovered!

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  15:10:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I WAS RIGHT! BOO YA!

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  15:19:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
It's all do with time constraints. There are simply not enough hours in the day. To put a post here that is actually worthwhile reading you have to at the least make sure that your facts are right and your grammar is good. That takes time and right at the moment I don't have a lot of it spare.

Over the past eight months my wife has got pregnant and has finished up at work so I have to make sure we make enough money to live. So on top of my 50-hour week maintaining the network at work I also run my own web design company for some extra spendoolies. There is 70 hours a week gone…..and unfortunately I also need to sleep.

When I finally do have some free time, the last place I want to be is in front of a computer, I work on them all bloody week. I need my once a week surf down the coast to cleanse my soul and the rest of the time is spent setting up nurseries, sleeping and doing various chores (as ordered by the wife) around the house.

Time……I need more of it, but unfortunately there are only 24 hours in a day, I need at least double that.

Where Dave and y'all get the time I don't know, but I envy you.

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Al Franken
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  19:16:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
I have been gone because my computer crashed completely last Sunday night while I was installing a firewall. Dumb! Careless! Stupid! I finally located everything needed to reinstall and was able to be back in business by Wednesday night (December 1, 2004) - late. Well, whatever you do, make sure you have saved the necessary disks, passwords, etc., so that you will not go through the hell I went through this past week.

Well, now I won't bore you with the gory details. It was a mess for awhile. I still have a lot of sites to access. However, I am going to keep only the better sites (such as this one).

I happen to be somebody who likes to read the stuff you write. I guess this makes me a troll of a kind. I am a friendly troll, however.

Well, back to work finding the magic letters to reinstall some of my other stuff.

ljbrs

"Innumerable suns exist; innumerable earths revolve about these suns in a manner similar to the way the seven planets revolve around our sun. Living beings inhabit these worlds."
Giordano Bruno
(Burned at the stake by the Roman Catholic Church Inquisition in 1600)
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  22:15:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gezzam

It's all do with time constraints. There are simply not enough hours in the day. To put a post here that is actually worthwhile reading you have to at the least make sure that your facts are right and your grammar is good. That takes time and right at the moment I don't have a lot of it spare.

That's true, gezzam. It does take time to write an interesting post. Lord (who?) knows I've wasted far too much time looking up stuff on Masons, evolution, the Bible, and more. Time I could have spent doing the things you do-- working for extra money, or spending time with actual human beings some of whom, through birth or marriage, might be related to you.

So it's not really a matter of finding time, rather, it's a matter of ignoring people, missing out on needed sleep, and being particularly in debt/poor. It's a trade off, really
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  22:22:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ljbrs
I happen to be somebody who likes to read the stuff you write. I guess this makes me a troll of a kind. I am a friendly troll, however.

Hi, ljbrs. I haven't seen posts from you in a long time (I seem to recall that you were fairly active back when I first started surfing here a few years ago), but I'm glad you posted now.

It's true that there are probably lots of people who just lurk here. Some may have joined perhaps to look at profiles, or chat (that's right-- I just made a subtle plug for chat on an entirely unrelated thread!), and never bothered to post. Others may have felt compelled to post about a particular topic (witness Jerry and his defense of ID a few months back) and nothing else.

I'm finding that the SFN community is actually a lot larger than the number of regular posters might indicate...
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  23:24:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

I'm finding that the SFN community is actually a lot larger than the number of regular posters might indicate...
Well, the "Internet wisdom" of just a few years ago suggested that on Usenet (newsgroups), for every active poster one could assume ten people who did nothing but lurk. I'm not sure that such a statistic should be any less for Web forums, which are more-easily accessible.

The SFN member list, right now, says that 83 people have posted in the last month, suggesting that at least 830 other people have read posts here in the last month.

Would anyone like to do a "mark-recapture" study on the SFN membership, to see how many folks are really active?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2004 :  01:09:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

Siberia, I thank you. The tiny version was causing my subconscious to crash. Now I can cancel that appointment with my psychiatrist.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2004 :  01:16:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
...Except the bunny has two pancakes on its head, contradicting the caption. And there appears to be writing on the quilt (or whatever) the bunny is sitting on. Surely that message is of vital importance in getting towards the true meaning of the image, right?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2004 :  01:45:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

...Except the bunny has two pancakes on its head, contradicting the caption. And there appears to be writing on the quilt (or whatever) the bunny is sitting on. Surely that message is of vital importance in getting towards the true meaning of the image, right?

Actually, it can be translated to mean that there is one pancake on the bunny's head twice. The writing on the quilt is a series of Druidic runes defining the Masonic Craft and the Imperitives of the Illuminati, and at 3:30 in the morning, I don't have to make sense.

Cute bunny, though.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2004 :  07:21:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chippewa

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

Siberia, I thank you. The tiny version was causing my subconscious to crash. Now I can cancel that appointment with my psychiatrist.

You're welcome!

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  11:43:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
What happens to me is that I start to miss conversation with thinking adults. This site is the next best thing to the kind of parties I used to be invited to when I was in college. A gathering where everyone is talking about what they're learning, and just what goes on inside their heads. I love the exchange of ideas. I start to crave it and even need it, so I come here. I read. I post. Life is good.

Then one day I log in for my fix, and it seem like every "new" "HOT" thread was posted by a kook. I read these posts and the regulars are feverishly trying to show someone the light. I'm all in favor of that. I've written in support of it here. Still, it isn't the exchange of ideas that I love. It's drudgery that makes me tired. So I go away.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Eos of the Eons

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  00:44:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Eos of the Eons's Homepage Send Eos of the Eons a Private Message
Hi, I usually hang out at JREF, but noted some familiar names here. Getting excited about TAM this year, so searching about for anybody who is going that I don't know of yet...

It's late, so carry on, and hope things are looking up for Wendy
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  02:19:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hi Eos and welcome.

I wish I could make the Amazing Meeting, but currently the dollar flow at la casa filth is a tad thin and looks to stay that way for a while.

I lurk a bit at Randi's place and catch the weekly update religiously.

I hope you enjoy the forum!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.