Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  07:27:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Welcome Eos of the Eons.

I used to lurk around Randi's site for a while, but stopped a while ago. Not quite sure why. I wish I could go to TAM, but just like filthy, the cash flow for a student who spends his time posting at the SFN instead of a job is absolute 0 (not like I would work anyways... ). Maybe when I get out into the real world and get a job.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  08:13:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
What Ricky said.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  10:23:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

Welcome Eos of the Eons.

I used to lurk around Randi's site for a while, but stopped a while ago. Not quite sure why. I wish I could go to TAM, but just like filthy, the cash flow for a student who spends his time posting at the SFN instead of a job is absolute 0 (not like I would work anyways... ). Maybe when I get out into the real world and get a job.

Hey-- what's "TAM"?
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  11:04:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
The Amazing Meeting?

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  11:46:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eos of the Eons

It's late, so carry on, and hope things are looking up for Wendy

Thanks, Eos and welcome! I'm not bummed in general - just over the site content occasionally. It's cyclical, I think. Gotta take the good with the bad.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  13:13:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

The Amazing Meeting?

So like the CBS reality show, but instead of racing everyone sits around and talks? Hmmmmm...
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  13:32:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
lol, I don't know. I'm just guessing.

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  14:34:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
This is TAM 3

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  21:13:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

The mystery of the_ignored's signature uncovered!

WOW! Thanks. I have been trying to figure that avatar out since I got here.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  19:50:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
The replies on this site don't pale in to comparision to how many are read. Why does the lord do bad things to good people has 1382 read but only 161 replied I know I replied at least 5 times to that. So where are the rest? Do they have no say, no discussion, no debate? When I first found this sight I immediately became hooked. Good talk, Cheap insults, and some hilarious humor. My favorite being the numerous amounts of stick margarine and breath mints being bought on a grocery line.
So where is everyone?????
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  22:04:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm

The replies on this site don't pale in to comparision to how many are read. Why does the lord do bad things to good people has 1382 read but only 161 replied I know I replied at least 5 times to that. So where are the rest? Do they have no say, no discussion, no debate? When I first found this sight I immediately became hooked. Good talk, Cheap insults, and some hilarious humor. My favorite being the numerous amounts of stick margarine and breath mints being bought on a grocery line.
So where is everyone?????

First off, storm, my insults, at least, are anything but cheap!

Anyhow, it's true that a popular thread can have well over a thousand "reads." The problem is that one person looking at the same thread 84 times counts as it having been read 84 times, so the raw number doesn't reveal too much. Still, it's clear from the various lurkers who have posted here over the last month or so that more people visit here than are members, let alone regular posters.

Indeed, the last few days haven't seen me post much as I've had to do things that kept me from my computer. It's not hard to imagine that a person-- even if she were interested in the discussions (and very expensive insults!)-- might not post here simply because composing a good message takes too long. (Doubtless as does finding crazed Freemason-Babylon-Owl-Anti-Semitic conspiracy websites to link to poorly-worded, punctuation-free rants!)

Even though I wish everyone posted here, I've come to accept that some people just come here to surf. And others will post only when the time is right (meant in more ways than one!). But that's OK-- as long as everyone enjoys what SFN has to offer, then it's mission accomplished!

(I think...)
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  02:24:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
All true about the reads vs. posts. Often, I have no construtive comment to make, or no interest in the topic. Or I might have an intrest in the topic, but don't know enough about it to comment. These I will revisit often, adding to the read count.

I too, would like to see a little more participation from our lurking friends. It's always good to get differing points of view.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  06:20:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I have no life. I'm always reading stuff

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  15:25:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
Hi there. I'm a new member.

I just wanted to jump in with a comment as to why so many new members don't write a single post.

I found an interesting thread (one of the creation vs evolution threads) and thought I'd jump in. So I signed up and wrote a reply. Then I reread my post before submitting it and it sounded pretty lame, so I ended up deleting it. Silly I know, since I'm anonymous, but still old habits die hard and no one wants to feel stupid.

I have enjoyed reading the SFN forums. It is refreshing to find a place where reason and evidence take precedent over retoric and prejeduce.

I will read the forums often and probably post once in a while.
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  15:55:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dv82matt

Hi there. I'm a new member.

Hello dv82matt, and welcome.
Please don't worry about sounding too lame. It is my experience that input is always appreciated here. Incidentally, your nick sounds like it might make a valuable contribation to the So, what your username thread .
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.24 seconds.