Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  10:02:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
There was definetly some force that threw that slipper. It was not the cat's claw. The cat was on one side of me the slippers on the other. Supernatural when I hear that word I cannot help but think of demons, elves, etc. But then again how do we know what we call demon, elves, etc are only a Natural part of the Universe? A part of the Universe not yet discovered. We know how vast the universe is. We know or maybe we just hypothesize that there are other planets Just not discovered then maybe we should apply this theory to some CLAIMS of the paranormal. The evidence of the phenomenon of things like clairvoyance, telepathy, Ghosts, Phantoms, is all around well documented.
Parpsychology is on the rise to a most respected and valued Science..
Do not lose out...
http://www.psy.gu.se/EJP/EJP.htm
Check out this site
Check out this Article
Research Methods in Expirimental Parapsychology
Problems and Prospects
Very Interesting
Now Were Talking
Anybody care to read it and then discuss?
I shall return later this evening
Oh and that 50 to 60 mph wind gust in my bathroom only happened when Four Hurricanes came a Knockin in August and September of this year

Storm
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  10:11:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
What you fail to realize, is that getting science from a 'journal' like that is like getting your world news from Teen Beat Magazine. Its basically like a tabliod with hydrolics and 1500$ rims. If the studies were scientifically valid they would be reviewed and sent to proper magazines where the authors would then win noble prizes in more than one catagory. Do you think they dont want that? The two periodicals I mentioned DO reveiw studies just like these, usually the ones that Paranormalists claim are the most sound, and in every instance they found controls lacking, manifest destiny, wishful thinking or downright fraud.

And you dont seem to understand that everything in the universe is science, IF demons and fairies and Psi-balls exist they exist in science, only imagination and personal perception exist outside of science.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  10:18:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
It's all in a Name...
What we label...
do you know that in Europe Parapsychology is reguarded as aTrue Science?
In America it is not.
It was privatized with the split of J.B. Rhine and Duke University.
So it is no wonder the thinking is seperate..
Stagnate...
That is why it is time...
Time to Evolve and move on....

Storm
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  10:53:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm

I might not know that much about science but I know a good amount.
You have yet to demonstrate that this is true.
quote:
While I am willing to learn even more you my friends take 5 minutes to look at some websites I give you.
Repeating a falsehood doesn't make it true.
quote:
But doesn't it feel better to do some than just rather have it handed to you on a silver platter??
Personal feelings of satisfaction are irrelevant to whether or not a particular assertion is true.
quote:
How do you know that I am not a ScientistI have earned my degrees
Degrees don't make a person a scientist. Practicing actual science makes a person a scientist.
quote:
Everything is Science if we label it that.
It's all in a name...
The above quote is a good reason to think you are not now, nor ever will be, a scientist. Crackpots think this is true, and call themselves scientists despite not doing science. Actual scientists know that non-science is easy to spot, no matter what it is called.
quote:
Roger Wescott termed the name Anomalistic Alleged extraordinary events that cannot be unexplained by current Scientific theory...
Sure, why not? It's a decent definition of a term. And gee, it includes the origin of the universe, and the origin of life on Earth. It also makes my favorite color being blue an "anomalistic alleged extraordinary event," so it's not a very useful term, now is it?
quote:
this could definetly be applied to Gosts
But PSI Telepathy Very credable Evidence can be supported in many of the parapsychology journals
You have to look
You've done so much research, and yet cannot offer a proper citation or a link to any particular article you'd like us to view.
quote:
The fact is Gentleman The Events occur
Frankly, your insistence that this is what's being argued is stupefying.
quote:
How we label them Well that is up to us I guess
You say Tomato I say Toe mato...
No scientist, you.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  12:02:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Extrasolar planets have been detected, yes, but no, we haven't found life on them yet. Only that we've evidence that it happens - our very own flying rock we call 'Earth' (well, I call it Terra, but hey).

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  14:24:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
I would like to see what if any reputable science groups would claim that Parapsycology is accepatble science in Eurpoe.

One again a claim without support. This is proof I want to see.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  14:26:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Storm said:
quote:

Pretty bold statememt. I looked at the degree offerings in several European schools and while they had degrees in regular 'true' sciences I could not find any ones that had degrees in parapsychology. Is it possible you are just repeating what someone told you?

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  01:37:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
What Storm isn't getting is easy to see here.

If an "event" occurs, then it can be observed. If it is observed and documented properly, and done so in a way that the observation can be repeated and verified, then it's science.

The very word paranormal, when applied to any observation, raises a red flag. I implies a bias in the observer, a logical fallacy referrd to as confirmation bias

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  17:55:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Hey Dude your grammar is not so perfect or maybe the "I" is meant to imply you are biased

A logiiccali Fallacyyc

Storm
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  18:27:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm
Not in the part of Europe I'm living in. Perhaps you're thinking of East Germany, Romania, or Belarus some fifty years ago?
Until you show some evidense of this, I'll consider it bullshit.

quote:
In America it is not.
Good for you!
When G.W. Bush was re-elected I kind of lost faith in the sanity of the majority of American citizens.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds.