Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  19:11:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
Evolution does not have a goal because evolution can not think...it's not intelligent. This much we do know. There may in fact be some other intelligent life forms out there....somewhere....maybe. But without FTL (faster than light) travel the odds of EVER meeting them drops to about nil
Actually, my theory is, at this point evolution really no longer applies to us. We will evolve ourselves faster than nature ever dreamed. We have taken natural selection out of the equation, and technology will take over at an ever increasing pace. Get ready for some big changes or the next century.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  17:38:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
In thirty seven years not one? Excuse me but how bioring?

Boring for you maybe. In my 35 years here on earth I have also never experinced anything that I would attribute to paranormal causes. However, I don't find life, or the world, to be boring at all.

As Dave_W said, it's actually sad that so many people ignore the amazing wonder that is our natural world in favor of their fantasy of choice (gods/ufo's/psi/ghosts/ect...)

And why is it you still refuse to utilize even a small ammount of grammar (some punctuation please!) in your posts?

Do you fail to realize that communication between the credulous (you) and skeptics (us) is already difficult? If you can't be bothered to use the tools available (punctuation/grammar) that expidite written communication.... why should we bother to try and decipher your posts? We already know that we have a communication gap between the credulous and skeptics, and if you fail to use some minimal punctuation you only contribute to it. You're doing yourself no favors by ignoring this.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  19:01:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Hey Dude,
Although my puncuation and grammar are far from perfect. I think you can decipher my posts. Sometimes I like us all here have made grammatical errors. Sometimes when you are in ferver and zeal about a certain subject like all of mine you tend to type fast and grammar goes out the perverbial window screen. So I will work more on my grammar and you stop being such a tight ass to me about it
Hey dude who says all that stuff ghost, ufo's, psi, is not natural or normal. I think that it is sad that some do not think that way
So dude how do you define paranormal?
Not one experience....
You should get out more...
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  20:27:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Isn't 'enquiry' spelled inquiry? Mis-spelling on a web page doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the site. In this case 'enquiry' is used over and over so it isn't just a typo.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 12/18/2004 20:43:01
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  20:32:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm

is anyone an Anomalists out there? Is there a difference between Anomalistic and Skeptic? Check out this website

http://www.skepticalinvestigations.org/home.htm

I just finish reading these articles

Anomalistics - Dogmatism in Science

Click on...
Feedback would be appreciated

This is what I got when I googled Anomalist.

I am confused by your terminology as to what your position is. But I gather you are drawing much different conclusions from your perceptions than scientific evidence justifies. If I think evidence represents something, say ESP, I have to take it one step further and determine how I can verify or refute that hypothesis. You seem to be assigning cause and effect to certain events but the events are much more likely to be coincidences.

And alternative explanations for things like UFOs need to be considered. Just because one doesn't understand how something has occurred, like an object seen in the sky, one cannot conclude it must be an extra-terrestrial object.

The conclusions you seem to be drawing are fairly common logic errors.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 12/18/2004 20:40:51
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  23:03:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
So I will work more on my grammar and you stop being such a tight ass to me about it

I'm just asking that you attempt to use the occasional comma, period, and paragraph break.

It's not necessary in this type of informal setting to use perfect grammar and spelling. But SOME minimal use of the basics is definitely needed. My spelling is atrocious, and most of the time I don't bother to use the spellchecker this forum so generously offers!

All I'm asking is that you try to refrain from the run-on sentences and dangling prepositions. Those two are major obsticles to meaningfull communication.

quote:
Hey dude who says all that stuff ghost, ufo's, psi, is not natural or normal?

Anyone who uses the word "PARANORMAL" do describe them. That would be you.

quote:

I don't. The word is a nonsense word. It's really amusing to see how people use that word all the time. They don't even realize that they contradict themselves by claiming they have had a "paranormal experience". If something can be experienced (i.e. observed), then there is nothing "para" about it's normalcy. And, if the observations cannot be duplicated, odds are there was nothing "experienced" in the first place other than overactive imagination.

quote:
Not one experience....

You should learn to think critically and apply some basic logic to claims and assertions.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  23:33:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Not one experience....

Here is our main problem with communication here. Storm assumes we have experienced the paranormal, and when we say we haven't, we need to "get out more". She doesn't even consider the possibility that the paranormal doesn't exist.

How scientific is that, Storm? Ignoring the hypothesis that the paranormal doesn't exist. You like to go off wild claims, ghosts, UFO's, telepathy. Furthermore, you define your own words that you don't even know what they mean, such as "life force". But you refuse to even consider the possiblity that none of this exists at all.

Why?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  06:30:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Why = Dumbass, clearly nothing you can do about it at this point.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  08:42:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Why do you think ricky I have not thought it does not exist at all/ Of course I thought of that. I do not just think and believe things because I am told. I decipher my knowledge through myself my thought patterns. As far as replication, although ghostly phenomenon has not been able to be duplicated in the lab it sure is in the real world. The everyday world of you and I. I do not find the word paranormal not to be normal
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  08:58:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:

I decipher my knowledge through myself my thought patterns.

But what's true for you might not be true to the rest of the world, much like Cune's Magical Pink Unicorn (blessed be his horn).

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  09:23:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:

Why do you think ricky I have not thought it does not exist at all/ Of course I thought of that. I do not just think and believe things because I am told. I decipher my knowledge through myself my thought patterns. As far as replication, although ghostly phenomenon has not been able to be duplicated in the lab it sure is in the real world. The everyday world of you and I. I do not find the word paranormal not to be normal

Storm, are you by any chance related to the President? You have a real gift for talking without saying anything. Gobbledygook.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  11:29:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

Then why when we say we haven't seen the paranormal, your automatic response is we need to, "get out more"? And you end by assuming that I see paranormal events just as well as you do. But I don't. In my memory I never have. But you assume that I do. Why?

Before, Storm, I talked about a picture which I said looked just like it was burned. But you said that it very well maybe, but you don't know that it wasn't caused by a ghost. Right here, you deny the probability of a natural explaination.

Apply this to the real world.

Oh, the Sun maybe is a giant ball of mass undergoing nuclear fussion, but it could also be where all the dead souls go, and what we get is their releasing energy.

The light switch might work by allowing electricity to go to a light, but it could also be an inter-dimensional portal which allows energy to come in from other worlds to make light.

The car may run on gas, or maybe the gas is just needed to attract dead horse ghosts to come and pull the car (or something like that..)

In each of these situations, I have done just as you did. I deny the natural explaination and look solely to the supernatural. Do you not see how wrong this is?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 12/20/2004 11:33:38
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  14:14:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Hey Dude,
Although my puncuation and grammar are far from perfect. I think you can decipher my posts. Sometimes I like us all here have made grammatical errors. Sometimes when you are in ferver and zeal about a certain subject like all of mine you tend to type fast and grammar goes out the perverbial window screen. So I will work more on my grammar and you stop being such a tight ass to me about it

Just to clear this up, he wasn't talking about just any grammar mistakes. For example, look at these:

Cold Fusion is the way of the future.

Cold Fusion is the way of the future?

Do you see how the difference of '.' and '?' change the entire tone of the sentence? I have seen many times where I think you meant '.' instead of '?' and vice versa. But these small mistakes completely change the meaning of your post. So when we try to understand what it is you mean, it makes it very hard.

Hopefully, you understand that Dude was not just being a grammer nazi, but trying to just understand you.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.