Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2004 :  22:54:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

But, as this page notes, the planet receives the energy equivalent of a 160-teraton explosion each and every day from the Sun. Obviously, how and where that energy is distributed makes a difference in its effects.

Yes, Kil, the Sun is obviously producing ghosts, otherwise how would we deal with that energy. The energy doesn't just die, does it. I mean, it can't just stop living? I may not exactly know what I am talking about, what energy is, or how the sun works, but it does produce ghosts? Go look it up for yourself?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  06:17:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Man with such a release of spirit energy, my parameter was off the charts. A 6.2 on th WW scale.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 12/28/2004 06:17:48
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  08:07:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I think Ricky has just proven that the Sun is alive. Or, maybe not. It's so difficult to tell.

Back to Sumatra: whether or not the island moved 100 feet (and nobody on the TV news has yet mentioned that while I was watching), the news this morning reported that at least 9,000 people have died on Sumatra. Yeah, Jesus saves.

On of my brother-in-law's friends was in Thailand. On the beach. Nobody has been able to contact him yet.

CNN was, just a moment ago, listing celebrities who survived the tsunami. Jet Li injured his foot on a piece of furniture when his hotel room flooded.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  08:37:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
I wish this was in place in the Indian Ocean instead of the north west coast of the US. These people need to work faster.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/205500_warn28.html

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  14:37:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

I think Ricky has just proven that the Sun is alive. Or, maybe not. It's so difficult to tell.
Well, it increases and decreases it's diameter ever so slightly, periodically. If that isn't breathing, or heart-beat, I don't know what it would be. It's proof that the Sun is alive!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  15:01:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Death toll, per MSNBC's website, is over 50,000 and still rising. The threat of communicable disease in many areas may kill 50,000 more. No clean water, floods mixing the sewage systems into the drinking water, no access to minimal medical treatment, lack of proper (or any in some cases) nutrition, ect...

The majority of the people killed..... are children. As will be the majority claimed by disease in the aftermath.

Just waiting for Doomar to explain how the death of so many children is an example of his "the LORD"'s mecry and justice....

...and the RR people? What a bunch of assholes.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  15:47:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Does anybody have any sites with listings on people found in the Asian quake? My swedish friend's sister was there with her children, and she's desperate.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  16:07:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I read today that the quake was detected by US scientists and a warning was sent to Indonesia. Going through the normal channels, it took about 20 minutes to get the message warning of a possible tsunami sent (it wsn't explained why so long). From there, no one seems to know what happened to it.

Was it not recieved? Doesn't seem likely. Ignored? Posssibly; it was a nice day for the beach.

Our country has been called stingy in it's aid. I don't know the truth of that at the national level, but a local church is collecting money for it. I've promised some after the 1st. I'm told that this is going on throughout the country. Doesn't sound stingy to me, at least not at the grassroots.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

gtpooh

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  16:18:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gtpooh's Homepage  Send gtpooh an AOL message  Send gtpooh a Yahoo! Message Send gtpooh a Private Message
I just hope that if he exists and is coming, that he do it soon. I'm getting really tired of these freaks. JESUS, save us from your followers.

Gwenny

Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. YES, is the answer!
Go to Top of Page

NubiWan
Skeptic Friend

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  17:48:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send NubiWan a Private Message
Well the toll is 60 thousand and expected to climb, ATM. Has anyone heard if Arthur C. Clark made it, or not..? Think he squats over there, somewheres.

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  18:09:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NubiWan

Well the toll is 60 thousand and expected to climb, ATM. Has anyone heard if Arthur C. Clark made it, or not..? Think he squats over there, somewheres.

Read my mind. I'm anxious to know what became of Clarke.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  18:12:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Found out about the stingy part of and am inclined to agree.

quote:
U.N. official slams U.S. as 'stingy' over aid

By Bill Sammon
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The Bush administration yesterday pledged $15 million to Asian nations hit by a tsunami that has killed more than 22,500 people, although the United Nations' humanitarian-aid chief called the donation "stingy."

Bush's fucking inaugration party will cost well over double that and will be worth one hell of a lot less.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  20:12:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Fox News (yeah, I know... I didn't have the remote) just reported that 27,000 people died on just Sumatra. I imagine that crews finally got to the remote parts, which happened to be the worst-hit areas, too. The jump from less than 40K dead to over 60K in under six hours could be explained by that.

Anyway, I don't have the stomach to check the RR thread again. They'll probably be discussing how 27K people is less than 0.1% of the total population of the island, "proving" that God is merciful.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

NubiWan
Skeptic Friend

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  20:56:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send NubiWan a Private Message
A bit of good news for fans, Clark is alive and well, although some of his staff is AWOL.

Clark's webpage: http://www.clarkefoundation.org/

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  01:38:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NubiWan

A bit of good news for fans, Clark is alive and well, although some of his staff is AWOL.

Clark's webpage: http://www.clarkefoundation.org/

Except for the missing staff part, that's good news; the first I've heard out of there in a while.

I wonder about the Ring of Fire. Might there be some volcanic activity resulting from this quake? It sort of seems likely -- that was one hell of a jolt. What would it take to produce another Krakatoa? How would a deep-water eruption be detected among the aftershocks?

"When the gods are amused, mortals despair."

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.