Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  03:32:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I just stumbled across something interesting:
quote:
Now I don't claim to be an expert on seismic activity, but there has been a series of events which led up to the 9.0 earthquake of the coast of Indonesia which can not be ignored. This all could be an enormous coincidence, but one must look at the information and choose for themselves whether there is anything to it.
I will refrain comment because I don't know much about it, either.

The Washington Post (registration required) also has an article on how the administration has been shamed into adding another 20 mil to the kitty. Considering the extent of the disaster (60,000 dead and counting, and nobody's tallying the injured), it's still stingy.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  03:42:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
At the risk of being accused of spamming, here's a list of aid agencies, if anyone would like to chip in:
quote:
Agencies Planning Aid to Tsunami Victims
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: December 28, 2004

Filed at 11:02 p.m. ET

The following aid agencies are accepting contributions for assistance that they or their affiliates are providing for those affected by the earthquake and tidal waves in Asia. U.S. organizations are members of InterAction, a coalition of relief, development and refugee assistance agencies.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  05:52:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Ah, thank goodness Clarke's alive. May he live long.
Still lookin' for listings of identified people for my swedish friend. Still no signs of her sister and children.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  08:18:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Toll up to 80K across 11 countries now, according to CNN, and NPR claimed 32K just on Sumatra. U.N. officials are saying the toll for just Banda Aceh (on Sumatra) may reach 80K.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  08:26:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Toll up to 80K across 11 countries now, according to CNN, and NPR claimed 32K just on Sumatra. U.N. officials are saying the toll for just Banda Aceh (on Sumatra) may reach 80K.

It'll be over 100,000 before the sun sets on this day. I would not be suprised if the butcher's bill tops i/2 million.

And Bush remains on one of his endless vacations instead of taking the lead in the rescue efforts as an American President should!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  09:08:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
A 6.1 aftershock rocked Banda Aceh within the last hour.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  09:27:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

A 6.1 aftershock rocked Banda Aceh within the last hour.

Oy veh! The end ain't even in sight! I don't know much about this but damn, 6.1 is greater than a lot of actual quakes.

How long, I wonder, will it continue?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  09:55:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:

It'll be over 100,000 before the sun sets on this day. I would not be suprised if the butcher's bill tops i/2 million.

And Bush remains on one of his endless vacations instead of taking the lead in the rescue efforts as an American President should!

Great minds think alike. Here's The Rude Pundit:
quote:
12/29/2004
Disasters Big and Small:
Maybe if someone informed the President that resorts filled with rich people were involved in the tsunami disaster, he'd be paying more attention. 'Cause, you know, c'mon, this ain't like the Bam earthquake in Iran a year ago, when it was the usual array of screaming vaguely brown people we're used to seeing and shaking our heads at. There were Americans and Europeans involved, and India, proud supplier of talent to outsourcers everywhere, including, as we all know, the Republican Party. Yeah, yeah, Indonesia has its little terrorism problems, but, you know, it also has resorts, filled with Aussies, and they love us, or, you know, their PM does. And, generally, where there's rich people involved, Bush is right out there in front.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  10:02:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
CNN just reported that the sea level in San Diego, California, went up by 22 cm temporarily (sometime, I missed when), which means that part of the tsunami crawled clear across the Pacific.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  10:58:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

CNN just reported that the sea level in San Diego, California, went up by 22 cm temporarily (sometime, I missed when), which means that part of the tsunami crawled clear across the Pacific.

Just finished reading about that here:

quote:
Tsunamis and Nuclear Power Plants
By RUSSELL D. HOFFMAN

More than 80,000 people are dead. Bodies wash ashore in a dozen countries. A train, loaded with a thousand passengers and their luggage, is swept away, engine, tracks, and all. Cars, trucks, buses, and boats are pushed more than a mile inland by the rushing water. Some of the waves were reported to be 40 feet high.

The ocean in San Diego, 1/2 a world away, rose 10 inches. It IS a small world, after all.

The "sea wall" at San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station ("SONGS") in Southern California is 35 feet tall, and about 35 years old. It could not have withstood Sunday's worst.

Chilling....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  11:37:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
And the more I think about the billions of dollars being spent in/on Iraq, compared to the $35 million which had to be squeezed from Bush and company for help in a disaster of nobody's making, the more I find myself amused (and disgusted) by the very idea of "Christian charity." A perfect chance for the supporters of the proposition that the United States of America is a Christian nation to show that the USA does, indeed, follow those ideals, yet the government has to be shamed into handing over anything even resembling a substantial amount of aid. Gah!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  13:14:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Suspitions confirmed! Or if not 100% confirmed, then at least very damned close.
quote:
Swedish paper reports tsunami warning halted out of concern for tourist industry

Tsunami warning halted ‘for tourist industry'

12/28/04 -- This from the Swedish paper Expressen.

Just minutes after the earthquake in the Indian Ocean on Sunday morning, Thailand's foremost meteorological experts were sitting together in a crisis meeting. But they decided not to warn about the tsunami “out of courtesy to the tourist industry,” writes the Thailand daily newspaper The Nation.

The experts got the news around 8:00 am on Sunday morning local time. An hour later, the first massive wave struck. But the experts started to discuss the economic impacts when they discussed if a tsunami warning should be issued.

The primary argument against such a warning was that there had not been any floods in 300 years. Also, the experts believed the Indonesian island Sumatra would be a “cushion” for the southern coast of Thailand. The experts also had bad information; they thought the tremor was 8.1. A similar earthquake occurred in the same area in 2002 with no flooding at all.

Got to keep that cash flowing, now don't we? Some 'experts' these are. Further, what the hell do metorologists have to do with geological phenomena such as earthquakes?

Idiots.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  13:48:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Indeed. And now CNN is reporting that for every Thai killed by the tsunami, two tourists were killed. How much of a dent in the tourist industry is that claim to fame going to make?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  13:51:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Bush Criticizes U.N. 'Stingy' Comment

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  14:15:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Suspitions confirmed! Or if not 100% confirmed, then at least very damned close.
quote:
Swedish paper reports tsunami warning halted out of concern for tourist industry

Tsunami warning halted ‘for tourist industry'

12/28/04 -- This from the Swedish paper Expressen.

Just minutes after the earthquake in the Indian Ocean on Sunday morning, Thailand's foremost meteorological experts were sitting together in a crisis meeting. But they decided not to warn about the tsunami “out of courtesy to the tourist industry,” writes the Thailand daily newspaper The Nation.

The experts got the news around 8:00 am on Sunday morning local time. An hour later, the first massive wave struck. But the experts started to discuss the economic impacts when they discussed if a tsunami warning should be issued.

The primary argument against such a warning was that there had not been any floods in 300 years. Also, the experts believed the Indonesian island Sumatra would be a “cushion” for the southern coast of Thailand. The experts also had bad information; they thought the tremor was 8.1. A similar earthquake occurred in the same area in 2002 with no flooding at all.

Got to keep that cash flowing, now don't we? Some 'experts' these are. Further, what the hell do metorologists have to do with geological phenomena such as earthquakes?

Idiots.

While the Swedish Expressen is the largest, or second largest evening-paper in the country, they have been known to stretch the truth more than once for good headlines/stories.
It's a tabloid for all practical purposes, and should not be trusted.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds.