Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  17:33:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
quote:
Except when a parent makes a mistake, our law does not kill their children as punishment, much like God did with the 10th plague.

Are you suggesting Ricky that you believe that God caused the 10th plague?
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  17:53:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

God hates Sweden.
Now, how do you think my Swedish friend, who lost her sister and nephews, is feeling right now after she saw that (and brought to my attention)?

It's things like that that make me want Hell to exist just so those people could rot in it.

Check out what the people over at Rapture Ready think about that despicable site.

In the third post we have a winner:
quote:
God doesn't just hate Sweden or gays, but all of us (including you, me, and Pastor Phelps) because of our sin.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  18:02:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Verlch has already made the assumption that God exists. I simply took this assumption, and make a statement if it were true.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  18:21:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy

Okay, verlch, just so I'm sure I understand you correctly, please clarify. You do not deny God hates these people, you simply justify His hatred by saying He has laws and rules?

Did I get it right?

quote:
Originally posted by verlch
Yes, Just as a parent would ask their child not to engage in said behavior. When the do there will be a decree that was broken by the child. Just as God, in His bible, asks us not to engage in certain sinful behavior. Thank goodness for Jesus, God cannot stand the sight of evil. Jesus is standing in the way of the wrath of the Father and asking for more time that all might be saved.

verlch, I have three children and two step-children. They have the ability to anger me, and even to disappoint me, but there is nothing any of them can do that would make me hate them. Nothing.

You don't seem to know much about being a parent, and your God knows even less.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  18:26:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Can't access the RR site without registering -- something new.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  20:03:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
verlch wrote:

Jesus is standing in the way of the wrath of the Father and asking for more time that all might be saved.

But Jesus is God. So God is standing in his own way preventing himself from kicking our asses? You don't have a clue how absurd this is, do you?

<releases Kinnison-like scream>

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  23:13:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
The "God as an actual father" idea doesn't fly unless all "good Christian" fathers, when disappointed with their children at some arbitrary deadline (like their 18th birthday), throw them out on the streets forever, with no chance of reconciliation.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  01:12:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Okay, verlch, just so I'm sure I understand you correctly, please clarify. You do not deny God hates these people, you simply justify His hatred by saying He has laws and rules?

Did I get it right?

quote:
Yes, Just as a parent would ask their child not to engage in said behavior. When the do there will be a decree that was broken by the child. Just as God, in His bible, asks us not to engage in certain sinful behavior. Thank goodness for Jesus, God cannot stand the sight of evil. Jesus is standing in the way of the wrath of the Father and asking for more time that all might be saved.

verlch, I have three children and two step-children. They have the ability to anger me, and even to disappoint me, but there is nothing any of them can do that would make me hate them. Nothing.

Great, now another Liberal Female thinks I hate children and want to send a natural disaster to teach my children a lesson because I hate them. There is text in the bible that says that God has more thoughts than the sands of the sea about each human that loves Him. With that kind of thought power I think He is light eternity ahead of you! I don't think my God has to stop and ask his creation you for that matter or me for directions on how to referee His planet or universe!

http://www.ldolphin.org/signs.html

Natural disasters are the begining of birth pangs when the Son of Man touches down on the mount of olives.

I don't believe in the rapture. If the rapture that millions of labeled Christians don't have to taste death and God will snatch them up is silly to me. Even the great prophet and many other prophets sleep in the earth, why are millions of Christians greater than them and should have a rapture, wishful thinking! I think it is destructive to tell Christians that they will not be on earth as the Anti-christ makes his rounds is luducrous and potentially soul destroying!

What came first the chicken or the egg?

How do plants exist without bugs in the soil, and bugs in the soil without plants producing oxygen?

There are no atheists in foxholes

Underlying the evolutionary theory is not just the classic "stuff" of science — conclusions arrived at through prolonged observation and experimentation. Evolution is first an atheistic, materialistic world view. In other words, the primary reason for its acceptance has little to do with the evidence for or against it. Evolution is accepted because men are atheists by faith and thus interpret the evidence to cor-respond to their naturalistic philosophy.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. II Timothy 4:3,4

II Thess. 2:11 And for this cause God shall
send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

You can not see the 'wind', but you can see its effect!!!!

Evolution was caused by genetic mistakes at each stage?

Radical Evolution has 500 million years to find fossils of fictional drawings of (hard core)missing links, yet they find none.

We have not seen such moral darkness since the dark ages, coencides with
teaching evolution in schools. (Moral darkness)

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places, EPH 6:12.

"Thus, many scientists embracing naturalism find themselves in the seeming dilemma recently articulated by biochemist Franklin Harold: "We should reject, as a matter of principle, the substitution of intelligent design for the dialogue of chance and necessity [i.e., Darwinian evolution]; but we must concede that there are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any biochemical system, only a variety of wishful speculations."
Edited by - verlch on 01/09/2005 01:31:55
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  08:56:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Great, now another Liberal Female thinks I hate children and want to send a natural disaster to teach my children a lesson because I hate them.

No, I have no thoughts on that issue as we have not discussed it. (Wait, you're not claiming to be God here, are you verlch?)

Please read carefully. I asked:
quote:
You do not deny God hates these people, you simply justify His hatred by saying He has laws and rules?

Did I get it right?

You replied:
quote:
Yes, Just as a parent would ask their child not to engage in said behavior. When the do there will be a decree that was broken by the child.
(emphasis mine)

In other words, when we break God's rules, He hates us. Good parents don't hate their children. It is wired into most parents to nurture and protect their children so our species will continue. Abusive parents may well hate their children, at least some seem to experience it during abuse.
quote:
I don't think my God has to stop and ask his creation you for that matter or me for directions on how to referee His planet or universe!

He should certainly ask somebody - preferably not you.
quote:
I think it is destructive to tell Christians that they will not be on earth as the Anti-christ makes his rounds is luducrous and potentially soul destroying!

What? As opposed to God murdering innocent people?? THAT'S not soul destroying?!

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  15:49:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Can't access the RR site without registering -- something new.

Damn, I forgot...
The Apologetics section is for registered members only.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  04:54:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Morality, after all, religion gives the world morality.

Hatred--OK
Bigotry--OK
Cruelty--OK
'God given' genetic tendency to prefer one's own sex--SINNER!! God will put you in hell for having inherited this 'god given' gene.

Siberia, I'm really sorry to hear about your friend's loss. I just lost my sister-in-law to sudden cardiac arrest a few weeks ago. It's especially hard when they're young and it is 'just like that' they're gone.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 01/10/2005 04:58:52
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  08:50:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Did I get it right?

quote:

Great, now another Liberal Female thinks I hate children and want to send a natural disaster to teach my children a lesson because I hate them. There is text in the bible that says that God has more thoughts than the sands of the sea about each human that loves Him. With that kind of thought power I think He is light eternity ahead of you! I don't think my God has to stop and ask his creation you for that matter or me for directions on how to referee His planet or universe!

http://www.ldolphin.org/signs.html

Natural disasters are the begining of birth pangs when the Son of Man touches down on the mount of olives.

I don't believe in the rapture. If the rapture that millions of labeled Christians don't have to taste death and God will snatch them up is silly to me. Even the great prophet and many other prophets sleep in the earth, why are millions of Christians greater than them and should have a rapture, wishful thinking! I think it is destructive to tell Christians that they will not be on earth as the Anti-christ makes his rounds is luducrous and potentially soul destroying!

My goodness, didn't bother to read her post, did you? No. Of course not. After all, she must be a "liberal female" who spent all her time divorcing her husband, killing her children, and practicing witchcraft.

What was said was that she was incapable of hating her children. Given the premise that we are all God's children, God should not be able to hate any of us. Yet, Phelps and his hateful followers claim that God hates some of his children based on genetic predispositions.

Oh, wait. You were speaking as God again, weren't you.

Get used to the smell of brimstone, verlch. It's gonna be hot where you're going.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  08:11:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Did I get it right?

quote:

My God seems to know how to populate a plant with billions of life forms. Something I haven't seen your god, science can't even duplicate the life of a mustard seed let alone tell us how life starts or started!!!

You've tuned God out of your heart completly. How would you know anything about the God that made you. You deny your complexity to mere chance. What do you know about raising a child except what your parents taught you. Who taught the human family? Language and how to be a parent. If you put a baby alone in a closet and you don't let them learn language they will grunt the rest of their lives. God was the first teacher of language to the human family. It makes your heart fill with joy when you try to explain your earthly existance void of a human maker. The funny thing is God could live right next door to you and you would still not believe! So if you can't accept the proof of God you do see, how would you believe in my creator, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob if He even dwelt above your house? My heart desires to try and do the will of my Maker. You couldn't even pay us to believe in your "Doctrines of Devils"!!

What came first the chicken or the egg?

How do plants exist without bugs in the soil, and bugs in the soil without plants producing oxygen?

There are no atheists in foxholes

Underlying the evolutionary theory is not just the classic "stuff" of science — conclusions arrived at through prolonged observation and experimentation. Evolution is first an atheistic, materialistic world view. In other words, the primary reason for its acceptance has little to do with the evidence for or against it. Evolution is accepted because men are atheists by faith and thus interpret the evidence to cor-respond to their naturalistic philosophy.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. II Timothy 4:3,4

II Thess. 2:11 And for this cause God shall
send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

You can not see the 'wind', but you can see its effect!!!!

Evolution was caused by genetic mistakes at each stage?

Radical Evolution has 500 million years to find fossils of fictional drawings of (hard core)missing links, yet they find none.

We have not seen such moral darkness since the dark ages, coencides with
teaching evolution in schools. (Moral darkness)

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places, EPH 6:12.

"Thus, many scientists embracing naturalism find themselves in the seeming dilemma recently articulated by biochemist Franklin Harold: "We should reject, as a matter of principle, the substitution of intelligent design for the dialogue of chance and necessity [i.e., Darwinian evolution]; but we must concede that there are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any biochemical system, only a variety of wishful speculations."
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  08:41:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Did I get it right?

quote:

My God seems to know how to populate a plant with billions of life forms. Something I haven't seen your god, science can't even duplicate the life of a mustard seed let alone tell us how life starts or started!!!

You've tuned God out of your heart completly. How would you know anything about the God that made you. You deny your complexity to mere chance. What do you know about raising a child except what your parents taught you. Who taught the human family? Language and how to be a parent. If you put a baby alone in a closet and you don't let them learn language they will grunt the rest of their lives. God was the first teacher of language to the human family. It makes your heart fill with joy when you try to explain your earthly existance void of a human maker. The funny thing is God could live right next door to you and you would still not believe! So if you can't accept the proof of God you do see, how would you believe in my creator, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob if He even dwelt above your house? My heart desires to try and do the will of my Maker. You couldn't even pay us to believe in your "Doctrines of Devils"!!

If God lived right next door and he was really God, not some jack-leg, motor-mouth preacher, of course I'd believe. It would be in defiance of logic and reason to not believe. And so it is with acceptance of the Theory of Evolution. The evidence in it's favor is overwhelming and accurate, as you have been shown ad nauseum. But in defiance of logic and reason, you refuse to look at it. And that's Freedom. I'll lead the horse to water, but if it ain't thirsty, I'll not drown it.

I raised 2 daughters as a single parent. No problems beyond the usual. I'd seen days when I could have cheerfully throttled them both. But, that's pretty much 'the usual' for everybody.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Rubicon95
Skeptic Friend

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  09:12:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rubicon95 a Private Message
Fred Phelps is one of those people my friend would call gene-joke.

quote:
Originally posted by filthyIf God lived right next door and he was really God, not some jack-leg, motor-mouth preacher, of course I'd believe.

Maybe or Maybe not. When you look at the OT the Hebrews saw his power, and were guided by him, yet they distrusted, whined, and complained and disbelieved he could do what he said he would. Only a few stuck by.... Maybe I should call you Joshua? No offense please.

BTW, bravo on raising 2 kids. I mean it. I've been married for 7 months now and the children issue is being banted around. It looks...difficult.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds.