Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Shacal
Skeptic Friend

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  20:26:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Shacal a Private Message
quote:
I'm up to my @#$ in alligators at work for a few days, and I miss out on the fun stuff too. TANJ!

heh-heh, Niven reference, what the futz.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that we have accomplished it"
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  21:46:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by serendipitypublishing

You are dreaming right now. Time does not exist. There was no yesterday and tomorrow will never arrive. There is only Now.
What you percieve with your eyes is only what you wish to believe, it has no sense in reality. The moment you realise this is the moment you realise you know nothing of who you were. This is a re:evolution. Your mind is blank and upon it you can now understand everything in the context of the dreamer and not the dream, you will then evolve back to the knowledge of who you are, an awakening if you like. So evolution is really backwards but in a forwards sort of way.
Imagination is important here because now it becomes limitless and your return to Knowledge. That Knowledge is creation, of which no man can remember but his free will gives him the choice to decide when he wishes to remember. Then it's given him in place of what he made. So there is no true evolution just an imagination constrained by the limits of what you believe you are.

1) How can we be dreaming (continuing action) if there is no time?

2) Why can none of us remember who we are?

3) Are we all having the same dream individually? Or do I not exist, and am really only a part of your dream?

4) How were you able to break free of the contrains of reality to realize that there is no time and that you were only dreaming?

5) How do you know whether or not your revelation is part of the dream, and if so, also not connected to any reality?

6) Did you intend your words to make sense, or were you purposely inventing opaque phrases in an effort to sound deep and spiritual without really saying anything?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 01/21/2005 21:48:53
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  01:53:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
Maybe i missed it, but what do the colours on the map of North-America represent? Are they just arbitrary, or do they represent actual geo-physical properties like heights or temperature or vegetation?

It seems those colours were simply chosen to create a better match between the horse-image and the map.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  05:03:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Plyss

Maybe i missed it, but what do the colours on the map of North-America represent? Are they just arbitrary, or do they represent actual geo-physical properties like heights or temperature or vegetation?

It seems those colours were simply chosen to create a better match between the horse-image and the map.

No, yeah he just color coded the map so that you could better see which sections of land matched the cave painting.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  10:03:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Good god-- I'm on vacation for a week and all of a sudden the site's flooded with crazy new posts! Anyhow, welcome to SFN, serindipitypublishing, and, uh, good luck "disproving" evolution with this, uh, "evidence"...
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  13:57:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Good god-- I'm on vacation for a week and all of a sudden the site's flooded with crazy new posts! Anyhow, welcome to SFN, serindipitypublishing, and, uh, good luck "disproving" evolution with this, uh, "evidence"...

So that's where you were! Vacationing! I thought you had left us
Yeah. Logic and reason seem to have been flushed down the toilet - again.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  14:50:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

So that's where you were! Vacationing! I thought you had left us
Yeah. Logic and reason seem to have been flushed down the toilet - again.

We only gave him permission to leave for a week.

Staff.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  11:06:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil
We only gave him permission to leave for a week.

Staff.

Right. They don't tell you what's in the fine print when you take a mod position. In addition to limited vacations, I've got to work here for something like three hours a week! And don't even ask about the pay...
Go to Top of Page

serendipitypublishing
Skeptic Friend

60 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  07:37:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit serendipitypublishing's Homepage Send serendipitypublishing a Private Message
quote:
1) How can we be dreaming (continuing action) if there is no time?

2) Why can none of us remember who we are?

3) Are we all having the same dream individually? Or do I not exist, and am really only a part of your dream?

4) How were you able to break free of the contrains of reality to realize that there is no time and that you were only dreaming?

5) How do you know whether or not your revelation is part of the dream, and if so, also not connected to any reality?

6) Did you intend your words to make sense, or were you purposely inventing opaque phrases in an effort to sound deep and spiritual without really saying anything?

Hello, thanks for the replies.
HH, in answer to your question 6, it's a little of both, I intended my words to make sense in an effort to sound deep and spiritual. But how do you explain something spiritual and deep without sounding spiritual and deep.

Then I would have to answer question 4 : I had an experience a couple of years ago. It happened one night as I was falling to sleep, I cannot explain the experience itself because it was unlike anything I know to explain it with. I can only say that I loved it and wanted more. But I didn't know how to get it back. I interpreted it as the journey's end, the revelation. From then on, I understood that to obtain the real world (the world in which you realise you are the dreamer) it was necessary to give up the world I thought I was living in. So in answer to your question 4, I believe I made the choice to see my interests not apart from anyone else and based on that I was given a glimpse of the reality of that choice. So I think you cannot break free from time, you just need to accept that there is no time.

For question 5 : This is difficult and one of the hardest things I have to deal with as doubts are constantly crossing my mind. However as I learn to go beyond each doubt my foundation of faith becomes stronger, then I begin to believe and this is where I see the connection of all things reflected in my perception. So now I know that what I thought was true before is no longer true and this is all I know. I have opened my mind to the alternative.

Questions 2 & 3 have an answer for me which is linked. There can only be one dreamer. The dream figures that you and I see are all part of that same dream. You are as much apart of my dream as I am in yours. But you possibly perceive me as outside of you as that is the perception you believe in. I believe that we are not seperate but I cannot see that, I must only rely on my faith that this is true and then I will see its effects. We cannot remember who we are until we make our minds ready to accept we are not what we thought we were. This is because the thought systems are different and you cannot have both. This is a hard part, which I have gone through but the rewards are great and the future is infinite.

For Question 1 : Time is a concept, based on the fact that what was is no longer. In reality time does not exist because reality is constant, it does not change. This is a dream based on the belief that everything changes, hence time. Reality is the opposite of what you have in the dream. To awaken to reality we must first awaken to the dream and have everything translated to reflect reality, from there it is an easy step but one which we cannot make as we did not create ourselves.

It does sound a little Matrixish however with one fundamental difference, the Real world is beyond anything we can imagine, it is said that if you can remember your most joyful moment and multiply that by a thousand then you might come a tiny step forward to understand what awaits you, I doubt if you would be trying to remember the taste of that steak afterwards.

I think that the Artists responsible for the Lascaux paintings were hiding in that cave in their last days and leaving a message on the walls. The pictures are from memory. Take a test for yourself, draw a map in your mind of America, Canada & Greenland. Put in Cuba and Nova Scotia. Mark on it the gulf stream. Was it difficult ? Now imagine the shape of a horse and try the same thing.

'We're all in the gutter but some of us are looking up at the stars'
Oscar Wilde

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/freeflowpyramids/
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  08:20:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
Time is a concept, based on the fact that what was is no longer. In reality time does not exist because reality is constant, it does not change.

Time is a dimension; like length, width and height. To determine our position in this 4th dimensional space-time continuum, you need to use the 4 dimensions.
Time is nothing magical anymore than length is magical. Time and length are both affected by relativity using the same equations.
The arrow of time is pointed in one direction as seen by cause and affect.
Saying time does not really exist is akin to saying "length does not really exist".
If you wanted to prove that time does not exist I would suppose all you have to do is violate the law of cause and effect.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  09:28:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Then I would have to answer question 4 : I had an experience a couple of years ago. It happened one night as I was falling to sleep, I cannot explain the experience itself because it was unlike anything I know to explain it with. I can only say that I loved it and wanted more. But I didn't know how to get it back. I interpreted it as the journey's end, the revelation.

I've also had such a revelation just as I was about to fall asleep. For an instant, everything makes sense, the ultimate questions about the Universe and Existence, and the purpose of it all.
It's a really cool trip.
But I tell you, it's nothing special but a trick of the mind. I suppose anyone can have it if the conditions are right.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  09:56:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Your thoughts are nothing new.
They've been thought and conceptualized before by Plato, Siddharta, Descartes, brothers Wachowski, etc.

That there is a possibility of the non-existence of time, I agree. But, we'd have to extrapolate and say nothing truly exists. That there is a possibility that we may be as well be a dream within a dream (to quote Edgar Allan Poe), I agree, too.

However, there is also a possibility that everything is as it is.

If everything's an illusion, we cannot prove it, and whatever attempt towards knowledge of reality is futile. Your dreamy revelation could as well be another illusion - how can you prove to me that is wasn't an eddie in Reality? You, yourself, may not exist. The artists of Lascaux, too, might have been fooled by Reality itself into painting a false message. Or they might's just been paiting dinner.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  10:17:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
From then on, I understood that to obtain the real world (the world in which you realise you are the dreamer) it was necessary to give up the world I thought I was living in.

Ah! A testable hypothesis!

Great work SP. Now, all you have to do to examine this and determine the reality of it or not is simple.

Sign over all your property to me, and start having your paychecks forwarded to me as well.

After a couple months we'll evaluate your hypothesis and see how it pans out, see if your understanding of the world has increased.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  13:24:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Sign over all your property to me, and start having your paychecks forwarded to me as well.

Are you still waiting on that previous $1,000 that was promised to you, Dude?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  14:33:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:

[quote]Then I would have to answer question 4 : I had an experience a couple of years ago. It happened one night as I was falling to sleep, I cannot explain the experience itself because it was unlike anything I know to explain it with. I can only say that I loved it and wanted more. But I didn't know how to get it back...

Welcome, serendipitypublishing. Please consider Hypnagogic hallucination as a possible explanation.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds.