Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  14:53:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Are you still waiting on that previous $1,000 that was promised to you, Dude?

That guy still has a couple of months to pay up :P

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3209&whichpage=5

We'll see if I get my $$ in April or not.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  17:43:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

quote:
Sign over all your property to me, and start having your paychecks forwarded to me as well.

Are you still waiting on that previous $1,000 that was promised to you, Dude?

It hasn't been a year yet, Ricky.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  19:43:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
6 months! I'll PM him in April.

I'm betting I don't get a response... heh.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

serendipitypublishing
Skeptic Friend

60 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  04:09:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit serendipitypublishing's Homepage Send serendipitypublishing a Private Message
I'm not here to disprove anything really, that, I realise now with your help is a mistake, a big one. My lack of understanding of your arguement is obvious. However, Creation vs Evolution can perhaps be solved by taking note of both sides of the arguement and finding a new paradigm that fits.

Wendy, please consider Hypnagogic hallucination as evidence that when you are in a dream state it appears real. Also as evidence that you do not need your eyes to see, this in itself is an illusion and creates the dream within the dream.

Dude, the only property I have which I would love to hand over to you are my debts. I hope your offer applies to these as well ?

There's one important detail that I missed out. You cannot awaken from a dream state by yourself. Once you make the decision then you will be given help. Without sounding religious it is difficult to descibe this friend. Some would say it's the spirit which mediates between the 2 worlds, others describe the friend as the Wholly Spirit as this is the spirit that knows everything. This friend can see who you think you are but knows who you really are. So this means that your mind is split. One part knows the truth and the other part has forgotton.
If you believe as a skeptic that you have an open mind then feel free to ask a question to this spirit. But only ask a question which will have an answer, remember it is his task to bring you to the real world and everything will be used for this. Ask to see and you will be answered. Ask for something in this world and you will answer yourself as that is your will but it is not shared.
I remember when I first started learning I was cycling to work and I tested the spirit by asking 'If the next traffic light turns green before I get there' then I have a gaudian angel by my side. Anyway, sure enough just as I was thinking it's not going to turn green, it did. So I tested it again and again on the same journey and each time it was green. The first time I had cycled all the way with green lights and this was the centre of the city. This was enough for me to see that there are signs out there to guide us but I wanted to see more and so as I cycled to the last light before arriving I opened my mouth and once again said 'Turn Green' but this time a fly entered my mouth and I saw that as an omen that everthing has a timing and that it's important to realise that the spirit is not just there for me.

Siberia, I realise that this is nothing new. In some ways it gives me great hope to know that these ideas have been thought and conceptualized before. But application and practice is another thing. and only a few have done this. The important thing before beginning any application is to be certain that you are not alone that you believe there is a guide there which exists in everyone and everything. Remember the universe will conspire to do you good if you follow it's plan.
Also, Siberia, you cannot as I have learnt prove this is a dream. In the beginning you gave up everything for the dream now you must first give up the dream and then recieve everything. It's hard to prove that darkness is actually light but it's easier to prove that darkness isn't darkness and then you see the light.
One of the members had a quote, something like ' if you are comfortable with a lie why would you want the truth ?' , this is so important, as it has to be believed for you to relinquish the dream. The undoing is painful but also ironically at the same time pleasurable, reminds me of that REM song quote 'the days that I'm dying are the best days of my life', it's the hope of something New.

Dr Mabuse, everybody has had a glimpse of reality, most have dismissed it and covered it up but a few have explored it and reached great heights. The only trick of the mind is that which says it didn't happen.

Back to the Lascaux caves, which happen to be the most exiciting part of the dream. Have another look at that horse without the front legs and ask yourself is it in anyway possible that this painting represents something more meaningful ?

'We're all in the gutter but some of us are looking up at the stars'
Oscar Wilde

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/freeflowpyramids/
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  07:53:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I don't know about dreams, but the horse is marvalous. And I've little doubt that it had certain meanings to the artist. Perhaps it was a part of a hunting story. Or that it was done with such care in those difficult conditions because he wanted to bring himself luck on a hunt, and perhaps kill just such a horse. Or it could be a fetish; or a charm against enemies. The list of 'could bes' is endless -- hell, maybe he just liked to paint equines.

Me, I'll just love it for the art.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  08:41:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
SP wrote:
quote:
I remember when I first started learning I was cycling to work and I tested the spirit by asking 'If the next traffic light turns green before I get there' then I have a gaudian angel by my side. Anyway, sure enough just as I was thinking it's not going to turn green, it did. So I tested it again and again on the same journey and each time it was green. The first time I had cycled all the way with green lights and this was the centre of the city. This was enough for me to see that there are signs out there to guide us...

I would say you are very lucky.

If there had been a cyclist coming in the cross traffic who also had a guardian angel, then the light would have turned green both ways and you both could have been killed.

When you have the power to mold the physical world to your whim you must realize that with this awesome power comes an awesome responsibility.

Of course there is the other possibility that you are just goofy. But either way be careful not to harm your fellow man.

edited to fix the quote.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Edited by - furshur on 01/25/2005 08:42:43
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  08:49:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by serendipitypublishing

I remember when I first started learning I was cycling to work and I tested the spirit by asking 'If the next traffic light turns green before I get there' then I have a gaudian angel by my side. Anyway, sure enough just as I was thinking it's not going to turn green, it did. So I tested it again and again on the same journey and each time it was green. The first time I had cycled all the way with green lights and this was the centre of the city. This was enough for me to see that there are signs out there to guide us but I wanted to see more and so as I cycled to the last light before arriving I opened my mouth and once again said 'Turn Green' but this time a fly entered my mouth and I saw that as an omen that everthing has a timing and that it's important to realise that the spirit is not just there for me.

Nope, it's there for me, too. I too have traveled through my city and encountered only green lights. I too have known the sense of euphoria that this brings. It means I get to work on time. It does not mean I have a spirit, or that a horse is a map, or that dots are the Gulf Stream. It does not disprove evolution.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  09:46:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Funny how a little science can be used to program lights so that high traffic routes can not hit any red lights if driving a constant speed. Never heard of an algorithim I suppose. My local street needs to be drivin at 35MPH and you can hit like 16 lights in a row.

I love how atheletes thank god when in fact it was they who did the endless hours of training and not god.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

serendipitypublishing
Skeptic Friend

60 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  09:48:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit serendipitypublishing's Homepage Send serendipitypublishing a Private Message
I was using the analogy of the Traffic Lights to describe the answer to the question 'Is this real ?'. It only happened to me once because I only ever needed to see it once. I don't even try it anymore. In fact I believe that all things happen for reason and therefore a red light is not a negative thing.
I would agree with Furshur, that with great power comes great responsiblity. Only I might re phrase it slightly, 'Once you become aware of the power which is in us but not of us then becomes great responsibility to no longer deny the truth but to trust in it'
It is this reason that I will not post any further. As I said, I made a mistake with my discussion heading 'A photo that disproves evolution'. It is not my goal to disprove anything and that I have learnt from my Skepical friends.

This year is a New Beginning for me in my acquisition of true perception. I am starting a blog which I will post to on a regular basis.

It's been enjoyable and thought provoking talking with you all.

Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  09:59:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
SP you said that you used to need scientific evidence to believe something. It appears that you have abandoned any notion of the scientific principle. Repeatability is vital to proving a phenomina. You only 'changed the lights' with your mind once?? To prove it you would need to do several replicates of the experiment.

I actual believe I know why you only 'changed' the lights once. You know that if you tried it again it would not work in which case you would be forced to face the fact that this hocus pocus is bull shit. You apparently will do what is neccessary to blind your self from the truth to continue to believe this woo woo crap.

Good luck, I will continue to open my eyes and LOOK for truth.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  10:07:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:

There's one important detail that I missed out. You cannot awaken from a dream state by yourself. Once you make the decision then you will be given help. Without sounding religious it is difficult to descibe this friend. Some would say it's the spirit which mediates between the 2 worlds, others describe the friend as the Wholly Spirit as this is the spirit that knows everything. This friend can see who you think you are but knows who you really are. So this means that your mind is split. One part knows the truth and the other part has forgotton.
If you believe as a skeptic that you have an open mind then feel free to ask a question to this spirit. But only ask a question which will have an answer, remember it is his task to bring you to the real world and everything will be used for this. Ask to see and you will be answered. Ask for something in this world and you will answer yourself as that is your will but it is not shared.

Siberia, I realise that this is nothing new. In some ways it gives me great hope to know that these ideas have been thought and conceptualized before. But application and practice is another thing. and only a few have done this. The important thing before beginning any application is to be certain that you are not alone that you believe there is a guide there which exists in everyone and everything. Remember the universe will conspire to do you good if you follow it's plan.
Also, Siberia, you cannot as I have learnt prove this is a dream. In the beginning you gave up everything for the dream now you must first give up the dream and then recieve everything. It's hard to prove that darkness is actually light but it's easier to prove that darkness isn't darkness and then you see the light.
One of the members had a quote, something like ' if you are comfortable with a lie why would you want the truth ?' , this is so important, as it has to be believed for you to relinquish the dream. The undoing is painful but also ironically at the same time pleasurable, reminds me of that REM song quote 'the days that I'm dying are the best days of my life', it's the hope of something New.

Dr Mabuse, everybody has had a glimpse of reality, most have dismissed it and covered it up but a few have explored it and reached great heights. The only trick of the mind is that which says it didn't happen.

Back to the Lascaux caves, which happen to be the most exiciting part of the dream. Have another look at that horse without the front legs and ask yourself is it in anyway possible that this painting represents something more meaningful ?

Has it ever occurred you that the paint might've been ruined by time - the one that allegedly doesn't exist?

This is the Possibility of the Matrix all over again, and I happen to be reading the book, The Matrix - welcome to the desert of real, right now. It explains and somewhat analyzes the philosophy behind the movie and the concepts in it, drawing parallels with the works of the aforementioned philosophers. Some call it spirit, some call it the Matrix, some call it a malevolent devil or a brain in a bottle; some call it the gods - and some, such as Siddartha, call it Nirvana.

But if this world is a continuous dream, then all your experiences are illusions, therefore, not real. And if your experiences are not real, how can you trust them? How can you tell the difference between a guardian angel and a mere illusion - that may or may not been provoked by the very own reality?
Excuse me if my english isn't clear, but I'm foreigner and self-taught

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  13:06:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

I'm not here to disprove anything really, that, I realise now with your help is a mistake, a big one. My lack of understanding of your arguement is obvious. However, Creation vs Evolution can perhaps be solved by taking note of both sides of the arguement and finding a new paradigm that fits.
I think that has been done already. The result would be intelligent design. Which is crappy bad from both scientific and religious perspective.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  13:14:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Dude, the only property I have which I would love to hand over to you are my debts. I hope your offer applies to these as well ?

So you don't REALLY believe all that bullshit you're posting then. I didn't think so.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

serendipitypublishing
Skeptic Friend

60 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  03:54:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit serendipitypublishing's Homepage Send serendipitypublishing a Private Message
I believe there is a lot I can learn from the members of this forum. However as Skeptics it is important that misinterpretation does not form the foundation for confusion and arguements. It is possible that I was not clear in my initial expressions or that you are seeing what you wish to believe I am saying.

Furshur, I don't have the power to change things with my mind, I only have the power to change my mind about the things I am seeing. I also have the power to recognise the plan of the universe. Which ultimately means that I have vision, the ability based on faith to know that I am safe and that no matter what mistakes I make my goal is attainable because I've already seen the journey's end.

Mr Mabuse, Creation is Knowledge, the source of all things. Evolution is the dream. To awaken to creation you must first evolve from the dream to the dreamer and then you are ready to take the big step into creation where the dream is forgotton. This is the paradigm that fits.

So Dude, by your rules, recieving my paycheck will prove my theory to you, (rational thought has just left the building) but my intention is not to prove anything to you, so what will it do for me ? There is no gain is one loses.
Money has a value in this world, not as an end but only as a means to an end. It's use is in helping you on your spiritual path not in hampering you.
Remember, nothing changes when you awaken only your mind about what you think you are and all things are relative based on this truth.

Siberia, trusting the guardian angel takes great learning and skill. You will make many mistakes on the way and self doubt will rise and then rise again but if your faith is there and your will to learn and recognise each lesson is strong then you will gain confidence. In answer to your question, how do you recognise spirit and not flesh, it comes down to consistency and illusions are not consistent. I have done it over the last 2 years. It's an experiment I did with everyone that knows me. When I let them know what I did I'm hoping it will help them to see but until then I still have much work to do in opening that door to my freedom.

I have considered that the paint has been ruined over time but I use this as an arguement for rather than against. Ask yourself why they painted chinese horses in France ? Ask yourself why they didn't paint the front legs ? ask yourself why the yellow objects are the same shape and positions of the islands along the coastline. Ask yourself why the black outline doesn't go all the way round the horse ? Inconsistencies.

Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  04:50:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
I have considered that the paint has been ruined over time but I use this as an arguement for rather than against. Ask yourself why they painted chinese horses in France ? Ask yourself why they didn't paint the front legs ? ask yourself why the yellow objects are the same shape and positions of the islands along the coastline. Ask yourself why the black outline doesn't go all the way round the horse ? Inconsistencies.
Mainly because it was painted by a human being, one of us, and inconsistency is our best riff.

Chinese horses? Who sez the horse is an Asian species? As I recall, equines were native to Europe in those times.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds.