Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ZaphodBeeblebrox
Skeptic Friend

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2001 :  01:17:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ZaphodBeeblebrox's Homepage Send ZaphodBeeblebrox a Private Message
quote:

When an enemy is committed to dying and is actually eager (mentally preconditioned) to do so for his/her belief system, then about the only, and best, recourse is to help as many of them as possible to find their desired after life by whatever means get the job done the quickest.

Or, as General Patton put it, "The objective in warfare is not for you to die for your Country, but to make your Enemy, die for his."

But then again, Patton also said that the Nazi Party was just like the Republican, and Democratic, Parties in America, and we know that he was wrong, don't we ...

If you Ignore Your Rights, they WILL, go away.
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2001 :  01:59:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
But then again, Patton also said that the Nazi Party was just like the Republican, and Democratic, Parties in America, and we know that he was wrong, don't we ...

Was he? Each party vies for control of two major portions of the federal government - the Presidancy and the Congress. If you have control of both - what could you not get passed - if it fits with your agenda. Each has an agenda - maybe not the genocide of an entire portion of the population - but an agenda none the less. We are just fortunate that these opposing parties keep each other in check.

This is why I am a registered Independent (read: non-affiliated voter).

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying." ~Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

ZaphodBeeblebrox
Skeptic Friend

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2001 :  02:09:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ZaphodBeeblebrox's Homepage Send ZaphodBeeblebrox a Private Message
Bearing that in mind, Trish, what do you think of the current spate of Nationalism in the US, and how it has resulted in there being, at most, the equivalent of only 1.5, Pollitical Parties?

If you Ignore Your Rights, they WILL, go away.
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2001 :  03:33:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Ah, but there are enough fundamental differences between the two parties to suffice for now. And in another year the WTC mess will be cleaned up (we'll still be fighting, but it won't be headlines anymore) and America will be back to business. The partisan politics will come into play again and you'll have two opposing parties again. This unity will only last for so long before they are back to fighting about abortion and preserving medicare and every thing else that republicans and democrats disagree about.

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying." ~Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

TFarnon

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2001 :  20:22:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send TFarnon a Private Message
Of the choices listed, I think that lax airport security, primarily the result of airlines' frenzy to cut costs and increase an already obscene profit margin, is to blame. The nuts and the beeleevers will always be with us. We can't prevent insanity or religious fervor. We can increase airport security. Sure, it means that flying to Disney World for a vacation with the kids will no longer be cheap or easy, but I'm old enough to remember when it wasn't that way to begin with. (Which is long before there was Disney World, but hey..)

Bacteria RULE, Hominids drool
Go to Top of Page

andysnape

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2001 :  05:04:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit andysnape's Homepage  Send andysnape a Yahoo! Message Send andysnape a Private Message
I just think that we have treated Muslims so badly in foreign policy that something was bound to break. After all, back in the 60's the UK government did not exactly treat Northern Ireland Catholics with much respect and look at what happened there? By the way, it is a little ironic that America is the primary soucre of funding for terrorism against its BEST FRIEND and closest ally in this war. It is also a little ironic that the two cities that produce the most funding for the IRA, Continuity IRA and Real IRA are New York and Boston, 2 of the 4 cities at the heart of this crisis.

Go to Top of Page

Garrette
SFN Regular

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2001 :  06:48:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Garrette a Yahoo! Message Send Garrette a Private Message
Welcome, Andy

quote:
By the way, it is a little ironic that America is the primary soucre of funding for terrorism against its BEST FRIEND and closest ally in this war. It is also a little ironic that the two cities that produce the most funding for the IRA, Continuity IRA and Real IRA are New York and Boston, 2 of the 4 cities at the heart of this crisis.

True, but the funding is private, not state.

I believe (without real reason to believe so other than personal experience) that most Americans are simply too uninformed to realize these linkages exist. Simply a call to help the poor laddies back home.

I say this having had a Catholic upbringing and a significantly Irish background.

My kids still love me.
Go to Top of Page

andysnape

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2001 :  07:43:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit andysnape's Homepage  Send andysnape a Yahoo! Message Send andysnape a Private Message
And I'm sure a lot of Muslims are saying the same thing about the NY attacks. There's nothing poor about the laddies hwen they blow up 30 people in Omagh or 15 in Enniskillen on Rememberance Sunday or plant a bomb in Canary Wharf that, had it gone off, would have killed '000's. As for the money being private and not state, the US government has known about organisations like Noraid for years and have explicitly refused to shut them down. There is an immense amount of hypocrisy in this attitude.

quote:

Welcome, Andy

quote:
By the way, it is a little ironic that America is the primary soucre of funding for terrorism against its BEST FRIEND and closest ally in this war. It is also a little ironic that the two cities that produce the most funding for the IRA, Continuity IRA and Real IRA are New York and Boston, 2 of the 4 cities at the heart of this crisis.

I believe (without real reason to believe so other than personal experience) that most Americans are simply too uninformed to realize these linkages exist. Simply a call to help the poor laddies back home.

I say this having had a Catholic upbringing and a significantly Irish background.

My kids still love me.

Go to Top of Page

andysnape

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2001 :  07:44:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit andysnape's Homepage  Send andysnape a Yahoo! Message Send andysnape a Private Message
By the way, when I mentioned Canary Wharf, I meant to say 'had it gone off PROPERLY'.

quote:

And I'm sure a lot of Muslims are saying the same thing about the NY attacks. There's nothing poor about the laddies hwen they blow up 30 people in Omagh or 15 in Enniskillen on Rememberance Sunday or plant a bomb in Canary Wharf that, had it gone off, would have killed '000's. As for the money being private and not state, the US government has known about organisations like Noraid for years and have explicitly refused to shut them down. There is an immense amount of hypocrisy in this attitude.

quote:

Welcome, Andy

quote:

My kids still love me.

Go to Top of Page

Garrette
SFN Regular

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2001 :  08:20:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Garrette a Yahoo! Message Send Garrette a Private Message
quote:
There's nothing poor about the laddies hwen they blow up 30 people in Omagh or 15 in Enniskillen on Rememberance Sunday or plant a bomb in Canary Wharf that, had it gone off, would have killed '000's.

I'm agreeing with you, Andy, not arguing. If anything, I am bemoaning the sorry lack of knowledge of the average American joe.

My kids still love me.
Go to Top of Page

andysnape

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2001 :  13:10:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit andysnape's Homepage  Send andysnape a Yahoo! Message Send andysnape a Private Message
Well at least your kids still love you mate.

quote:

quote:
There's nothing poor about the laddies hwen they blow up 30 people in Omagh or 15 in Enniskillen on Rememberance Sunday or plant a bomb in Canary Wharf that, had it gone off, would have killed '000's.

I'm agreeing with you, Andy, not arguing. If anything, I am bemoaning the sorry lack of knowledge of the average American joe.

My kids still love me.

Go to Top of Page

Grand Nubian
Skeptic Friend

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2001 :  13:05:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Grand Nubian's Homepage  Send Grand Nubian an AOL message  Send Grand Nubian a Yahoo! Message Send Grand Nubian a Private Message
I wonder what will happen first, a muslim, black, female, or atheist president.

Go to Top of Page

Donnie B.
Skeptic Friend

417 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2001 :  13:17:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Donnie B. a Private Message
quote:

No-brainer. Female. Long before any of the others. My guess is that the female in question is alive today.

-- Donnie B.

Brian: "No, no! You have to think for yourselves!" Crowd: "Yes! We have to think for ourselves!"
Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2001 :  17:33:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
quote:

MO:

1st: Female
2nd: Black
Tied for third right now: Muslim & atheist.

We do know one thing. Star Jones wouldn't vote for an atheist. Solution: we just wait till she's dead, then run an atheist.

"Necessity may be the mother of invention, but laziness is usually the father." -Bailey's First Law
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2001 :  17:44:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
C'mon, you guys don't think Colin Powell's got a fighting chance in 3 years if he decides to run?

There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! It wasn't my fault, I swear to god! - Jake Blues
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.