Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Grand Nubian
Skeptic Friend

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2001 :  17:58:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Grand Nubian's Homepage  Send Grand Nubian an AOL message  Send Grand Nubian a Yahoo! Message Send Grand Nubian a Private Message
I agree with female too.

I think that Powell being black isn't exciting enough to become president when there are men that are just as competent.

But a woman that is as competent as powell and these "other" men would IMO be very exciting. Exspecially if it happens in the next few elections.

One thing that makes me skeptical of my own opinion is that this woman is a public figure yet.

Or is she?

Go to Top of Page

Donnie B.
Skeptic Friend

417 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2001 :  19:18:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Donnie B. a Private Message
quote:

C'mon, you guys don't think Colin Powell's got a fighting chance in 3 years if he decides to run?

Powell has a couple problems other than his skin tone. He's never held any elective public office, and he's a Republican so he'd have to run against his boss Dubya (at least in 2004; 2008 is a different story).

Besides, can you name one former Secretary of State who went on to become President? There may have been one, but it hasn't happened in at least 50 years, if ever.

I also believe that there are more bigots who would never vote for an n-word, but fewer bigots who would never vote for a w-word. That's just gut-feeling, no real evidence. But a black woman is right out... [/montypython]

-- Donnie B.

Brian: "No, no! You have to think for yourselves!" Crowd: "Yes! We have to think for ourselves!"
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2001 :  19:45:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
quote:

quote:

C'mon, you guys don't think Colin Powell's got a fighting chance in 3 years if he decides to run?

Powell has a couple problems other than his skin tone. He's never held any elective public office, and he's a Republican so he'd have to run against his boss Dubya (at least in 2004; 2008 is a different story).

Besides, can you name one former Secretary of State who went on to become President? There may have been one, but it hasn't happened in at least 50 years, if ever.

Maybe not, but how many Secs of State have even sought the presidency in that time?

quote:

I also believe that there are more bigots who would never vote for an n-word, but fewer bigots who would never vote for a w-word. That's just gut-feeling, no real evidence. But a black woman is right out... [/montypython]

I hear you, but my other concern is the image that ambitious/powerful women project. Rather, I should say the image that some attribute to said women. Hillary Clinton comes immediately to mind. A polarizing figure at present if there ever was one. But is it because she's genuinely callous or is it that she has to work twice as hard to get where she's going? Less-than-critical thinkers are ofttimes willing to call her a 'conniving bitch' and be done with it. Now, I have no special place for her in my heart; to me, she's just another politician. But Powell seems more the "I'll try to be all things to all people" type, whereas HRC is quite unabashedly WYSIWYG, not unlike her husband. See Bill Maher's HBO special Be More Cynical for a humorous take on Clinton.

There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! It wasn't my fault, I swear to god! - Jake Blues
Go to Top of Page

Dr Dreadful

USA
1 Post

Posted - 03/09/2002 :  14:11:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dr Dreadful a Private Message
quote:

Our Constitutional liberties and guarantees are an anathema to these inhuman barbarians. (Name one Islamic state/country that is democratic. Turkey may come the closest...and it has huge internal problems of its own.)

I can think of several at least nominally democratic Islamic states, including - believe it or not - Libya. A lot of Americans seem to be uncomfortable with the fact that just because a country has a democratic constitution doesn't mean it has to be an ally of the US... or that its leaders must be sober, responsible people. It's unfair to brand an entire religion as barbaric because of a few charismatic lunatics. I agree with you, though, that the West tends to turn a blind eye to Turkish atrocities because of their NATO membership.

Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2002 :  21:37:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
quote:

[quote]
1. It's unfair to brand an entire religion as barbaric because of a few charismatic lunatics.

2. I agree with you, though, that the West tends to turn a blind eye to Turkish atrocities because of their NATO membership.

1. Absolutely. I was told by a former RAF officer that the IRA, as mentioned earlier, is a relatively small band of thugs with a minority following, and that most Irish would prefer not to break off as they'd no longer qualify for support from England in terms of health care, etc. If true, in some regards it's a minor and less malignant version of Bin Laden and his supporters. That's anecdotal, of course, but it's reasonably possible. I agree that the root cause depends on what level one looks at it. Airport security, etc. is superficial, militant religious fanatics secondary, and just our very involvement as it is, and has been, in the region above that. Whether out of economic/material necessity , military/strategic thought, or philanthropic goals, just getting involved in such a volatile situation opens us up to such ugly possibilities. It just comes with the territory.

2. We're pretty schizoid in who we help, when, and how, which can breed a lot of resentment and anger. "Helping" with bombs and troops is especially touchy business.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

scumbagio

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2002 :  18:28:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit scumbagio's Homepage Send scumbagio a Private Message
Militant perhaps... or religious freaks. Oops, I mean fanatics. I have personally met people who were willing to die for their relogion. Believe it or not they were Baptists.

"The truth is seen through keyholes"
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2002 :  19:07:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
quote:
Militant perhaps... or religious freaks. Oops, I mean fanatics. I have personally met people who were willing to die for their relogion. Believe it or not they were Baptists.

Oh don't tease me! The more that die for a religious cause the better as long as they don't take anyone else out. I like the Jonestown model for the realization of this lofty goal. But in reality, talk is cheap and few ever go that far.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.