It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  09:06:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

No. I haven't figured it out yet.

http://www.borrett.id.au/computing/petals-j.htm

I did 23 tries and for it right 3 times. I was on a run of 2 for 3 and thought I'd figured it out, but then went 0-5 more and realized that I didn't. Oh well-- another distraction!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  13:18:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I got it!

Edit:

PM or email me if you want a hint, but I am not going to give out the solution.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 02/20/2005 13:19:28
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  14:10:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
YA! I figured it out and became a Potentate of the Rose. Of course now I am not suppose to tell you guys how to do it....

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  19:09:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Way cool:

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  19:48:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
It took me 10 mins to solve this one about 6 months ago. I'm an engineer (Edit: I only include this because the puzzle is supposed to show how different types of people think differently). But it was from a different website. The maintainer was a Professor and he would introduce the game to his students and say, "The smarter you are, the longer it takes for you to figure it out." I email him and get a standard response back. Turns out, he had taken the problem home to show his wife. She solved it rather quickly, it took him a whole year!

I think that there are far too many clues for this representation of the game. Easier without them I think.

Edit:
The page I saw: http://personal.baker.edu/web2/cdavis09/roses.html
Correction: The Professor who introduced the game to Chirs Davis (who is a Dr.) showed it to his wife and took a year to solve it.
Edited by - woolytoad on 02/20/2005 20:02:22
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  19:54:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Dam perfesser is calling me stoopid.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  20:29:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Ok, so I finally got it. All told, I did about 60 rolls. One thing still confuses me: how is the name significant? That hint is still very lost on me...
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  21:34:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Can't quite answer that without giving the entire answer away...

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  22:11:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Well, now you've given it away, Ricky. Sheesh.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

sumnihil

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  01:07:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sumnihil a Private Message
ok, i've gotten it. and in 17 tries, i became a potentate of the rose. i won't give away the answer, and i doubt if the following will really help anyone who wouldn't have thought of this straight away anyway, but i will tell the basics as to how i discovered it.

i looked at the source code. simple, no security, and no script files to look up. all right there in black and white, if one is able to read javascript. (i say that this won't give anything away, because surely anyone who would use this method, and had enough knowledge of javascript to use the method, would already have used it). the only reason i post is because i am wondering if this would be classified as "cheating". i submit to you the point of the entire exercise is a way to show how different people think and learn. well, i learn by taking things apart and tinkering about.

so, is my method cheating, or unethical, or merely another way of looking at the problem? i am eager to hear some responses.

all great truths began as blasphemies.
--g.b. shaw

yes, i am aware that i do not use capital letters. it is discrimination, and discrimination is wrong. period.
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  04:27:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
Cheating. The puzzle was (supposedly) orignially played with just dice. You can't really look at the source for dice. And its clearly against the rules.

But that would be a valid solution for other types of problems.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  04:32:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Yes, I know that some people have posted the answer on their web sites if I wanted to stretch the idea of thinking outside the box. But I do admit that if I knew how to do it I would have since you said that.

I must be a genius, because it makes no sense to me.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  04:53:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I can read Javascript, but I won't look. Stupid rose...

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  05:20:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sumnihil

ok, i've gotten it. and in 17 tries, i became a potentate of the rose. i won't give away the answer, and i doubt if the following will really help anyone who wouldn't have thought of this straight away anyway, but i will tell the basics as to how i discovered it.

i looked at the source code. simple, no security, and no script files to look up. all right there in black and white, if one is able to read javascript. (i say that this won't give anything away, because surely anyone who would use this method, and had enough knowledge of javascript to use the method, would already have used it). the only reason i post is because i am wondering if this would be classified as "cheating". i submit to you the point of the entire exercise is a way to show how different people think and learn. well, i learn by taking things apart and tinkering about.

so, is my method cheating, or unethical, or merely another way of looking at the problem? i am eager to hear some responses.

Oh-- it's like Kirk's solution to the no-win Kobayashi Maru scenario, which "had the virtue of having never been tried"!!
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  06:08:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
Ah, finally solved it. Now to drive my friends insane with it

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.