New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

sumnihil

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  20:32:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sumnihil a Private Message
i have just come from a fairly long (and infinitely disturbing) examination of evolutionfairytale.com. the self righteousness there is actually physically nauseating. especially this fred williams character. his haughty air is what disturbs me most. i've heard the arguments he holds for creationism many times (who hasn't?), but rarely have i ever seen them defended with such malignant glee. he is a master of the "get 'em good and pissed and then be righteously indignant when they get mad, because you never actually said anything insulting or condescending to them, they just took it that way" school of debate. i did some research on the site, had a whole list of questionable calls, as an administrator--and as a decent human being--cut and pasted to notepad, ready to try a lengthy post citing every one of his faux pas (and i still might, possibly in a new thread. i'll have to work on it a while, i want it to be a good post. who knows, i might even go for some capitalization....nahhhh.) but then i found a post which tells anyone anything and everything they need to know about fred williams:

http://www.evolutionfairytale.com/articles_debates/hager_debate_page.htm

after reading this post, i am glad he declined the invitation. if this guy had actually shown up here, my head would have exploded in frustration. literally.

all great truths began as blasphemies.
--g.b. shaw

yes, i am aware that i do not use capital letters. it is discrimination, and discrimination is wrong. period.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  04:57:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
He does come off as a tad snotty, doesn't he?

My dissapointment that he'll not grace us with his wisdom and insights grows. I was really hoping to have an enlightening discussion with him, as I'm sure were some (most?) others of us.

Perhaps he or some of his minions will begin to feel challenged and show up yet. One can only hope.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  10:53:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
The only purpose I see in such a debate is to tone my knowledge, and secondly to perhaps reach the fence-sitting observer. Given the title of your forum, I suspect there would be very few of those folks.
And naming a forum evolutionfairytale.com would attract any fence-sitters?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

David Mc
Skeptic Friend

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  12:20:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send David Mc a Private Message
My thoughts on Mike's reply:
"How to Argue With A Fundamentalist"

"I refer you to your own beliefs and advise you to look to the beam in your own eye." TOUCHE', Mike. Right down the throat of context.

There is no "scientific" argument against creation. God/Earth Creation requires intelligence beyond the existence of mass. To my knowledge, science has not addressed the possibility. (personal note to Beskeptigal )

"I must maintain that argument against evolution is not evidence in favor of creationism." Mike spoke as if he were the type of Christian I am... whatever that is.

And they wonder why I choose to spend my time with Evolutionists. Nice job by Mike.

Of course we'll disagree on the Creation thing but, hey, what's one small point?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  12:41:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
The thing that we must not forget in these discussions is that evolution and creation are mutually exclusive. The Theory of Evolution states nothing about the beginnings, only about what happened afterward.

Why do creationists have such difficulty understanding this? Nobody gives a dingo's kidney as to how it all started, except those researching abiogenesis and we'll get their findings in due course.

If it's the only ammunition they have, it's a puffer load.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  13:09:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
And Fred replies:

quote:
Hi David,

Your forum may be as you claim, I apologize for assuming the worst since I haven't even been over there except for a few cursory glances. But to be honest I just don't have the time or desire to visit it. It is nothing personal against you at all. Heck, I barely have time to keep tabs on my forum, I am easily the least active of *all* my current Admins! The only reason I started a forum was because my guestbook was becoming just too hard
to manage, and via encouragement of my friend who owns the server company I use, I decided to give the forum a shot.

As far as Peptide and Tomk80, I don't know all the specifics on the Peptide ban, but I trust the judgment of my admins. I do know that he was not banned just because he was identified with your forum. I also know that Tomk80 was already on thin ice with three Admins, including myself. But I don't really need to explain anything, the great majority of time there is going to be a good reason and we are not required to share our reasons with anyone, especially anonymous posters such as these two. I'm sure there will be a few that get caught in our cranked-up filter that perhaps didn't deserve their fate, we are going to make mistakes. But I'd rather err on the heavy filter side than the soft mod side. We are looking for quality over quantity, and
foremost for me is to remove anyone who is simply out to waste other's time, subconsciously or otherwise.

Good luck with your forum.

Sincerely,
Fred Williams

I will probably not respond to this one. Any further communication with Fred would be an exercise in futility. That much is clear. His closing statement amuses me, though.
quote:
We are looking for quality over quantity, and
foremost for me is to remove anyone who is simply out to waste other's time, subconsciously or otherwise.

I especially like “subconsciously or otherwise” whatever the hell that means. Hey Peptide, stop subconsciously wasting other peoples time!

I would really like to hear from Peptide and Tomk80 for a blow by blow of exactly what went down. I am thinking of writing an article about creationist forums in a sort of general way, and using Fred's forum specifically as the example of what kind of treatment can be expected for those who feel the need to argue with creationists on their turf.

Edited to add:
quote:
sumnihil:
i did some research on the site, had a whole list of questionable calls, as an administrator--and as a decent human being--cut and pasted to notepad, ready to try a lengthy post citing every one of his faux pas (and i still might, possibly in a new thread. i'll have to work on it a while, i want it to be a good post. who knows, i might even go for some capitalization....nahhhh.
Hey sumnihil. Perhaps what you write can be included as a companion piece. Or, as part of the same article. You would have to capitalize however…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

David Mc
Skeptic Friend

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  13:33:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send David Mc a Private Message
I sincerely believe that (if my history is correct and Darwin excluded intelligence from Evolution) my "Faith" is still reeling from the original concept. They have completely lost sight of the exploration ever since.

What was impossible? Virgin birth? Science has proven that it's possible.
Life from nothing? Science is in the process of proving that it's possible.

Science continues to pursue every "impossiblity" of my belief.

When it comes to pompous b*st*rds that would exclude themselves from the truth and demean the very people that are leading us closer to it, setting themselves up as God's own judge driving away the very people......... (shit)

I get frustrated with my Fundamentalist brothers sometimes.

What I meant to say was, "You're right, Filthy"
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  13:53:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by David Mc
What science has ever proven that a god can impregnate a woman without intercourse?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 02/24/2005 13:53:50
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  14:25:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:
What science has ever proven that a god can impregnate a woman without intercourse?

Well, some species of whiptails and geckos experience parthenogenesis -- virgin birth..... Aha! God is a lizard!

All has become clear.....

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/24/2005 14:28:32
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  15:00:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
David MC:
When it comes to pompous b*st*rds that would exclude themselves from the truth and demean the very people that are leading us closer to it, setting themselves up as God's own judge driving away the very people......... (shit)

Those pompous bastards need to believe they have the truth. And therefore, all other truths are wrong. Critical thinking is not their strong suit. The idea that science goes where it goes, no matter how uncomfortable where it goes may make some of us, is not a concept that those people can deal with. The reason science does not take God into consideration is because science is in the business of sorting out the natural world. Whether or not God has a hand in it is not relevant to the subject. Whatever ideas we may have about God one thing can be said with some amount of certainty. The idea of God is not falsifiable. And that puts the idea of God outside of the most important tool of the scientific method. And that is the ability to confirm or reject a hypothesis.

I feel sorry for biblical literalists. They have been butting their heads against the same wall since the time of Galileo and probably before. I can't think of a single instance when a literalist view prevailed in this seemingly endless battle with science. Given enough time, they have come to terms with what was obvious only to be thrust into a new battle to save them from having to alter yet another absolute certainty. Putting the cart before the horse is not only a lot of work, it is a loosing proposition.

The arrogance of a Fred Williams or a Kent Hovind is not all that surprising if you think about it. It is the thunder of a storm that will, if history serves, peter out and eventually disappear in the face of the obvious. Given recent advancements in science, I even think that these guys may sense that the end of the debate is coming. I dunno. But their unwillingness to debate on a level playing field must mean they are hip to something, even if they don't really know what it is yet.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  15:59:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Science continues to pursue every "impossiblity" of my belief.
Indeed, this is why some Christian evolutionary biologists are so upset with the fundamentalists and the "Intelligent Design" crowd, both. Every time some "creation scientist" points to a "gap" in scientific knowledge, saying "therefore God did it," and science later fills in that gap, there's less room for God. This makes such pronouncements both bad science and bad religion.
quote:

I get frustrated with my Fundamentalist brothers sometimes.
Kil came close to offering up one of the reasons behind the "disconnect" that's got you flustered.

The fundamentalists, generally, believe the truth to be shown to them by Divine revelation, and as such can never change. But scientific "truths" (of which there really are none) are prone to change with the next iteration of research, in an asymtotic approach towards reality. If what science tells us can change (the YECs reason), then it cannot be the Truth-with-a-capital-T. So it must just be a "belief"; so scientists who insist that evolution is correct are just dogmatic; so it's really a religion; and so our religion should be given equal time in public schools; yadda yadda yadda...

End result: annoyed biologists and annoyed Christians.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

sumnihil

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  18:02:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sumnihil a Private Message
i've been over at that site for two hours reading through fred's articles and poring over the links. i need a bath. ugh....this guy is unbeleivable! he actually links to a site that blames evolutionists for the holocaust!. i will repeat that. he actually links to a site that blames evolutionists for the holocaust!.

and kil- i will be writing a piece on mr. williams, submitted for your approval--before posting, it is your forum after all, and i doubt i'll be able to keep all ad homs out of this one--by the weekend. that way, i can blame you if it shows up here with caps. :)

all great truths began as blasphemies.
--g.b. shaw

yes, i am aware that i do not use capital letters. it is discrimination, and discrimination is wrong. period.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  18:10:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
You dont have to submit a post for my approval. An article was what I was thinking...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  21:00:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
sumnihil, you can submit it to me by email, seeing as I am the editor around here. Copy Kil's email on it, so he can read it while I work.
quote:
he actually links to a site that blames evolutionists for the holocaust!. i will repeat that. he actually links to a site that blames evolutionists for the holocaust!.
Yeah, this is a pretty common tactic for demonizing the nasty "evilutionists." Of course, evolution wasn't really mentioned by the Nazis, but Martin Luther was. And here is a recent Panda's Thumb article which touches on the subject, and the comments go even further into it.

Funny: creationists also blame evolution for communism, which was not only the political opposite of Hitler's fascism, but Stalin was an ardent anti-Darwinist (evolution didn't fit well with dialectical materialism). So, the creationists are rather scatterbrained when it comes to real history and real consistency.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  21:35:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Indeed. I have argued this point ad nauseum.

Floating around here somewhere in a list of quotes taken from Hitler's writings and speechs. Nowhere does he tout the ToE, not even in Mein Kamph.

Hitler was a Catholic and, from his writings and speechs, a pretty serious one, even to the extent of having, "Gott Mit Uns" cast into the German Army's belt buckles.

Codswallop. All codswallop, and typical of those who have no solid argument.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.