Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2001 :  03:06:24  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
http://netscape.eonline.com/Gossip/Morton/Archive/2001/010922.html

"I was crying so much I could not see, and the other diners joined in, and I thought, What do you do with such atheistic evil? Can you use an atom bomb against it? Or is it the end of days? Imagine thinking about Satan while eating shrimp at the Yale Club. Maybe these really are the final days."

This is Comedy Central game show host, movie actor and former Nixon employee Ben Stein talking about the attacks on 9/11.

Atheistic Evil? How absurd and insulting! I see a lot of phrases being thrown around and I wonder how much people think about them. "We must bring these terrorists to Justice!" One look at the prisons in the U.S. and anyone can see that we don't have a clue what "justice" is. They're just places to throw our poor and people of color so that someone can get re-elected. Terrorism? Terrorism is the U.S. support of torture and death squads in Central America, the targeting of infrastructure in Iraq, then ten years of denying things like chlorine (see Nagy article in the Progressive. http://www.progressive.org/0801issue/nagy0901.html

Let's take some time to think rather than rush to make things worse.

Stop the murder of the Iraqi people.
http://www.endthewar.org

Edited by - Gorgo on 09/26/2001 10:37:44

theatheistknight

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2001 :  05:24:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit theatheistknight's Homepage Send theatheistknight a Private Message
Well, I'm never watching "Win Ben Stein's Money" ever again. Not that I could take much more of his stupid monotone voice.

Atheistic evil. I wonder what exactly he means by that. Does he mean that atheists were responsible or does he mean that the attacks were against god.

If he means the former, than he is no better off than Foulwell or Robertson.

If he means the latter, then he should think off a better term than, "atheistic evils".

It's all in his initials really. B.S.

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2001 :  05:40:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Well, if we are to accept what 'W' is saying, this is the most extreme example of theistic "evil" this country's seen in a long time.

quote:

Well, I'm never watching "Win Ben Stein's Money" ever again. Not that I could take much more of his stupid monotone voice.

Atheistic evil. I wonder what exactly he means by that. Does he mean that atheists were responsible or does he mean that the attacks were against god.

If he means the former, than he is no better off than Foulwell or Robertson.

If he means the latter, then he should think off a better term than, "atheistic evils".

It's all in his initials really. B.S.

Stop the murder of the Iraqi people.
http://www.endthewar.org
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2001 :  13:07:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Let's take some time to think rather than rush to make things worse.

That's what more people, everywhere in most situation don't do. So what else is new?
I try not to be cynical but IMO, things don't seem to be changing for the better in that respect(people 'seeing' and understanding what's around them). And as we see they are getting worse. The schools need to be teaching logic and critical thinking and elevating education instead of catering to the 'Feelings' of kids.
nlm

Rap Crap is to music what Paint by Numbers is to art.
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2001 :  20:34:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
As I have seen it, most of the evil in this world has been brought about by religious people who disagreed with other, equally indignant, religious people. To me, there is nothing more evil than the irrationally held ideas learned before one was old enough to understand their nasty implications.

I do not know of any true non-believers who are murderous villains. (I do not consider the Soviets to have been atheists, because their entire culture was a religion of the proletariat.)

Good grief. A bunch of madmen, at the urging of another madman, kill themselves while taking a great many innocent civilians along with them. All of these murderous madmen were religious in the worst way. True believers seem to be able to perform any and all kinds of attrocities in the name of their favorite deity.

Now, we are supposed to be skeptic friends. Or are we? If we all were truly rational, we would be discussing these topics without the rancor of true believers.

ljbrs

*Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error.* Goethe
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2001 :  20:37:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
Oops. I almost forgot:

Amen!

ljbrs

*Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error.* Goethe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.