Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

I Doubt It

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  07:25:04  Show Profile Send I Doubt It a Private Message
Is it only me or is anyone else extremely unsettled by the Sept 13 Proclamation by the President quoting Scripture and proclaiming "One Nation Under God"? It is not a time to argue about religion in the US but if I was a non-Christian religion (especially Muslim), I would be offended by this attitude and fear it would be almost endorsing persecution of non-Christians. I feel this is serious. What does anyone else think. (Perhaps this should be in the Religion section but it is pertinent to the terrorist events.)

Marc_a_b
Skeptic Friend

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  07:34:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Marc_a_b an AOL message Send Marc_a_b a Private Message
The Freedome From Religion Foundation has today put out a statement on this. Noting how the 'god is on our side' mentality is exactly what the terrorists believe too.

http://www.ffrf.org/news/sept11.html

Go to Top of Page

Bozola
Skeptic Friend

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  07:49:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Bozola's Homepage Send Bozola a Private Message
Let's not forget who our favorite scumbag fundamentalists' think is really to blame

quote:

The Rev. Jerry Falwell said yesterday that the American Civil Liberties Union, with abortion providers, gay rights proponents and federal courts that had banned school prayer and legalized abortion, had so weakened the United States spiritually that the nation was left exposed to Tuesday's terrorist attacks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/14/national/14FALW.html

Bozola

- Practicing skeet for the Rapture.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  08:45:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
But Jerry Falwell says that the cause of common cold and smelly socks, too. Typical!

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  09:01:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
Ah, Bozola, ya beat me to the punch.

Anyway, here's another story with that jackass's comments: Falwell blaming everyone but the kitchen sink for Tuesday's attacks

I hope he rots/burns/suffers(take your pick. More than one pick is recommended) in hell.

The way I see it, christians are godless too...they just don't know it yet.
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  09:18:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
They are broadcasted centerwide the National Prayer Meeting here at NASA.

It made me very angry when the first speaker (a lady Bishop in D.C., I believe), basically implied that only people of religious faith want "love to conqueor hate". They have representatives from just about every major religion there.

I wonder if any Secular Humanists were invited?

------------

Hope springs eternal but there's no conviction
Actions mistaken for lip service paid
All this concern is the true contradiction
The world is insane...
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  09:20:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
I go along with Robin Quivers of The Howard Stern Show who asked. "Why is the President talking about god? Not everyone in this country believes in his god--and anyway, their god beat his god yesterday."
Never mind the number of Moslems in the US, Atheists/Agnostics make up over 11 percent of the population.
In comparative terms--there are more Atheists in the USA than there are Jews in the world.

But, on the other hand, if it pisses off these AK-47 toting idiots who don't know the difference between a beach towel and haberdashery then I say

PRAISE JESUS! WOOOOO-O!

Brothers and Sisters let us make the holy sign of the MIDDLE FINGER halleluiah.

-------
The brain that was stolen from my laboratory was a criminal brain. Only evil will come from it.
Go to Top of Page

Greg
Skeptic Friend

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  09:55:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Greg an AOL message Send Greg a Private Message
quote:
Anyway, here's another story with that jackass's comments: Falwell blaming everyone but the kitchen sink for Tuesday's attacks.

I guess Falwell, Roberston, et al could be considered the American version of the Taliban.

Greg.

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  09:58:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
quote:
I guess Falwell, Roberston, et al could be considered the American version of the Taliban.

Wellllll, I wouldn't go that far! Elect those guys to office and who knows. Fortunately they are not elected and the US has some separation of church and state. Things could be far worse.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

I Doubt It

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  10:32:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send I Doubt It a Private Message
I watched the National Prayer Service too. I wanted to hear the Muslim leader say more but he didn't say much. I truly wished for a Secular Humanist. Didn't happen.

In spite of myself, I laughed at the preceeding posts. Middle finger it is.

Go to Top of Page

Greg
Skeptic Friend

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  10:54:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Greg an AOL message Send Greg a Private Message
quote:
Wellllll, I wouldn't go that far! Elect those guys to office and who knows. Fortunately they are not elected and the US has some separation of church and state. Things could be far worse.
@tomic

Let me clarify my comment. The difference between the American fundamentalists and those in Afghanistan is not in their self-righteousness, or their appeal to dogma, or their unflinching attachment to any means to their ends. The difference lies only in the political and military power each wields.

If the result of the attacks were to be all of the restrictions on our freedoms that the US televangelists are flogging, then the terrorists have won.

Greg.

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  12:10:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
quote:
If the result of the attacks were to be all of the restrictions on our freedoms that the US televangelists are flogging, then the terrorists have won.

That is one of my biggest fears.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

shewisd

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  18:02:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send shewisd a Private Message
quote:

Is it only me or is anyone else extremely unsettled by the Sept 13 Proclamation by the President quoting Scripture and proclaiming "One Nation Under God"? It is not a time to argue about religion in the US but if I was a non-Christian religion (especially Muslim), I would be offended by this attitude and fear it would be almost endorsing persecution of non-Christians. I feel this is serious. What does anyone else think. (Perhaps this should be in the Religion section but it is pertinent to the terrorist events.)

Go to Top of Page

Zandermann
Skeptic Friend

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  18:15:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Zandermann an AOL message Send Zandermann a Private Message
quote:
... What does anyone else think?
The first thought into my mind, Doubt, is how you get from the proclamation of a day of remembrance (and of prayer, an exhortation which by its very nature is directed at believers, but at believers of *any* religion) to "almost endorsing persecution of non-Christians." Particularly when the actual prayer service was as inclusive as it was (Christian prayers predominated, but both an iman and a rabbi spoke).
Go to Top of Page

Zandermann
Skeptic Friend

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  18:30:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Zandermann an AOL message Send Zandermann a Private Message
quote:
... It made me very angry when the first speaker (a lady Bishop in D.C., I believe), basically implied that only people of religious faith want "love to conqueor hate".
TD, I searched all over to find the comment you refer to here. The closest I could come to it comes from the AP's story:
quote:
"Those of us who are gathered here - Muslim, Jew, Christian, Sikh, Buddhist, Hindu - all people of faith want to say to this nation and to the world that love is stronger than hate," said Bishop Jane Holmes Dixon, opening the service on what Bush had decreed a national day of prayer and remembrance.
I don't see the implication that you referred to in her statement, as she was of course making reference to those who were attending the service.
quote:
I wonder if any Secular Humanists were invited?
Is SH now a religion?
Go to Top of Page

theatheistknight

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  18:56:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit theatheistknight's Homepage Send theatheistknight a Private Message
I watching Larry King right now, and there is some preacher spewing his, "God loves us" bullshit. There has been all kinds of reports on how people are using prayer to cope with the tragedy. Will they do a report on how atheists cope with the tragedy.

No. It is obvious that in the eyes of the press and President Bush himself, that atheists and other non-religious persons do not exist in national tragedy.

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.