New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  03:31:59  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
This is not something I've followed with much attention, but I suppose that a goodish dose of religion might well make alzheimers patients more comfortable.
quote:
Two studies released Wednesday are adding to the growing body of research that religion is good for your health.

A study of 68 Alzheimer's disease patients found that going to church and other religious activities slowed cognitive declines, Canadian researchers reported at a meeting of the American Academy of Neurology.

And University of Chicago researchers reported that African Americans who strongly believe in God were less likely to be depressed than nonbelievers.

Whatever the crutch that keeps you from falling is the one to use, I suppose.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  03:51:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Not very surprising really.
Social interaction, and other activities (which being part of a religion offers) is good for your health.
Being part of a community feels good.
Doping your brain with the bible reduces the need for other drugs.
quote:
Suggesting that religion is good for health could harm nonreligious patients who might believe their illness is due to their own moral failures, Sloan wrote.
This is as irrelevant as the claim that evolution is the foundation of an immoral worldview.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  21:01:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Just like Starman says, the data, minimal as it is, shows a correlation between church attendance and outcome, and in the latter between belief and outcome. But the data says nothing about why the correlation exists.
Go to Top of Page

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  11:33:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
Religion offers a lot of things for those who partake in it. It offers false hope, but for those who believe actually think it is real. It offers a network of people who can help you through hard times and can give you support. In reality, religion is something to model except instead of its false attributes more real attributes.

I chose a while ago that I was going to continue going to church even as an agnostic because having an extra network of people to socialize with is beneficial, even if you don't agree with what they have to say all the time.

tk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds.