Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  07:43:51  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
I thought I'd throw this out there as a place where people who are interested in or otherwise following the Catholic conclave to elect the next Pope. Some links to read up on it:

Top Cardinal Extols Catholic Doctrine as Conclave Begins
Cardinals hold pre-conclave Mass
Cardinals assembled to elect a pope
America Magazine (the national Catholic magazine)

The process should be over in less than a week, but who knows. Feel free to add more links and news if you like!

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  07:48:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

The process should be over in less than a week, but who knows.
NPR this morning claimed that no Pope selection in the last 100 years had taken longer than "5 days or 14 votes" (if memory serves). Though the reporter did point out that one conclave back in the 1300s took three years.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  07:54:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:

NPR this morning claimed that no Pope selection in the last 100 years had taken longer than "5 days or 14 votes" (if memory serves). Though the reporter did point out that one conclave back in the 1300s took three years.

Heard the same thing, Dave, so I expect we'll know by Friday or so.

And CNN has an article on Papal odds.

(ETA this link)
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 04/18/2005 07:57:10
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  08:03:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Dunno what this might have to do with anything....
quote:
NAZI PAST HAUNTING CARDINAL

By TODD VENEZIA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email Archives
Print Reprint

April 17, 2005 -- A "fuhrer" furor is dogging the papal candidacy of Germany's top Roman Catholic cleric — over revelations he was a member of the Hitler Youth.
Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger — a favorite to become the next pontiff — joined the Nazi children's corps in 1941 as a 14-year-old and was later an anti-aircraft gunner.

At one point, he guarded a factory where slaves from a concentration camp were forced to work. He was later shipped to Hungary, where he reportedly saw Jews persecuted.

Ratzinger, a staunch conservative dubbed "God's Rottweiler," has said he joined the Hitler Youth when membership became compulsory. He and his brother were later drafted but deserted. The cardinal claims he never fired a shot and that resistance would have meant death.

Not so, Germans from his hometown of Traunstein told The Times of London.

"It was possible to resist, and those people set an example for others," recalled Elizabeth Lohner, 84. "The Ratzingers were young — and they had made a different choice."

"Gott Mit Uns," eh? Be interesting to see if he gets voted in.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  09:57:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

quote:

And it was after the Conclave in the 1300's, IIRC, when the Vatican changed the living arrangements for the voting Cardinals from the plush digs they used to have to a much more spartan arrangement specifically to encourage/cajole the Cardinals to select a new Pope quickly.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  12:51:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Well, CNN is reporting that the first vote resulted in black smoke and no Pope (yet)...
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  12:57:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Black pope!? I wondered why I hadn't seen Al Sharpton in a while.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  13:54:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

quote:

quote:

And it was after the Conclave in the 1300's, IIRC, when the Vatican changed the living arrangements for the voting Cardinals from the plush digs they used to have to a much more spartan arrangement specifically to encourage/cajole the Cardinals to select a new Pope quickly.

I found it.

http://www.freep.com/news/religion/conclave4e_20050404.htm

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  01:02:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Interesting article, Val. I've read the history of the Borgias, and there was a piece work.

I have a feeling that the Cardinals already know who it's going to be and have for some time; the conclave is just to add a little drama and tradition to the proceedings. But then I've got a nasty, suspicious mind.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  04:13:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
What's up in Rome?

http://www.vatican.va/news_services/television/

Edit : My 666:th post! And its about the papacy. Coincidence? I think not...

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Edited by - Starman on 04/19/2005 04:16:32
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  04:42:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
The spectrum of players in this sop for the masses gets ever wider. It seems that we have a paedophile enabler; an ex Nazi, and now this:
quote:
Papal contender accused of kidnap involvement
Associated Press

VATICAN CITY — Just days before Roman Catholic cardinals select a new pope, a human rights lawyer filed a criminal complaint against an Argentine mentioned as a possible contender, accusing him of involvement in the 1976 kidnappings of two priests.

Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio's spokesman today called the allegation "old slander."

The complaint filed in a Buenos Aires court Friday by human rights lawyer Marcelo Parrilli accused Bergoglio, the archbishop of Buenos Aires, of involvement in the kidnappings of two Jesuit priests by the military dictatorship, according to the Buenos Aires newspaper Clarin. The complaint does not specify Bergoglio's alleged involvement.

It might indeed be old slander, I don't know. But is it not odd that we're hearing all about it now, right at the climax of the Vatican's, political orgasm?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  08:42:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Well, apparently this (Tuesday) morning's two votes resulted in no new Pope. But there are two more this afternoon, so we'll see what happens.

NPR this morning had a feature on Catholic issues in Latin America. And perhaps not surprisingly, the church wasn't always on the side of the good guys.
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  09:39:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
These is a new pope. No word on who it is yet.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/04/19/pope.tuesday/index.html

EDIT: Looks like it is Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany. He is the 265th pope of the Roman Catholic Church. http://www.cnn.com

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Edited by - Paulos23 on 04/19/2005 09:46:01
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  09:48:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Paulos23

EDIT: Looks like it is Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany. He is the 265th pope of the Roman Catholic Church. CNN

And he's taken the name Benedict XVI.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  09:52:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Paulos23

EDIT: Looks like it is Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany. He is the 265th pope of the Roman Catholic Church. CNN

And he's taken the name Benedict XVI.

Am I the only one creeped out with this particular choice?

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  10:21:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

Am I the only one creeped out with this particular choice?

No. Cardinal Ratzinger's past service in the Hitler Youth left me hoping someone else would be chosen.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.