Religion
 Me and the Mormons
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EnderNow1

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2001 :  01:24:20  Show Profile  Send EnderNow1 an AOL message Send EnderNow1 a Private Message
I always believed that the Mormons coming to your door was a myth or joke. It is not. I talked to the Mormons for five minutes and they gave me the Book of Mormon. I thought that was the end of it. I was wrong. They came knocking EVERYDAY!!!

I finally sat down and skimmed the Mormon text so i could chat with them and satisfy their needs. One of the gentlemen, around my age I suppose, is twenty-two. His name tag read Elder Butts. I discovered Elder was a name that meant "witness" or something to that effect.

After pointing out the obvious flaws in the Moromon book such as the existence of the wheel, silver and gold currency, evolved metalurgy skills, etc that did not exist South America during the time period of the Book of Mormon.

Elder Butts was not aware of these occurences. Something I discovered about Mormons is that they forbid "questioning" of their religion. Elder Butts saw nothing morally wrong with God killing millions of people in the flood, the killing of all the first born in Egypt to punish the Pharoah, and the sickening request God made to Abraham to kill his son Issac. Is it only me that finds this request horribly morbid?

My conclusion is that these people cannot be reasoned with. My point is this...don't waste your time arguing with these people.

Philip

It's a magical world out there, let's go exploring!

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2001 :  08:07:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
I used to work with a mormon. Um, how should I put this. The gentleman (not indicative of mormons) wasn't particulary sharp and he was an engineer. Anyway, when non-engineer me found problems his argument for being correct was that he was the engineer and I wasn't.

When the company was closing its mfg facility in Denver, the gentleman was very angry that he was going to be out of a job. Well, he and I crossed paths, he needed a key from me and I asked him to wait until I was finished with the set of service instructions I was currently working on, less than a minute. I handed him the key to the blueprint room and asked him to make sure he replaced the print in the proper place and locked the door when he was done. Well, he bitched about something. I mostly ignored it - but didn't share my thoughts. The next thing I know is the keys I gave to him were hitting me in the face as he called me a bitch.

This was acceptable behavior to him in the work place? Is this acceptable behavior in the mormon community?

He's YOUR god, they're YOUR rules, YOU burn in hell!
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Skeptic Friend

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2001 :  14:38:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hook a Private Message
quote:

When the company was closing its mfg facility in Denver, the gentleman was very angry that he was going to be out of a job. Well, he and I crossed paths, he needed a key from me and I asked him to wait until I was finished with the set of service instructions I was currently working on, less than a minute. I handed him the key to the blueprint room and asked him to make sure he replaced the print in the proper place and locked the door when he was done. Well, he bitched about something. I mostly ignored it - but didn't share my thoughts. The next thing I know is the keys I gave to him were hitting me in the face as he called me a bitch.

This was acceptable behavior to him in the work place? Is this acceptable behavior in the mormon community?

Gee, Trish, you seem to be a wack magnet. What kind of work did you say you do?

No, this is not Mormon behavior. I have never had to deal with Mormons at the door, but I have known several over the years, including a very good scientist. They are by-and-large polite, cheerful and, in my experience don't get into overt prothelization (though they will mention how happy they are being Mormon).

However, the missionaries I think are a bit different. They spend time in an isolated Missionary training school in Ogden Utah, no contact with outside world (no parents, friends, TV, radio, computers). They learn content courses of course (probably one of the best foreign language academies in the country-- when the military needs linguists, the Mormons are one of the first pools they tap), but I'm sure they get taught missionary techniques.

I always thought the best tactic for missionaries at the door was one a friend of mine used in NYC. He was an artist and fgured that no friend would ever knock on his door before noon, so he would get out of bed (he slept in the nude), strap on a holster with two functioning and loaded six-shooters and answer the door. Sure enough, it was usually the Jehova Witnesses.

(P-)>

We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars.
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2001 :  17:15:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
They learn content courses of course (probably one of the best foreign language academies in the country-- when the military needs linguists, the Mormons are one of the first pools they tap), but I'm sure they get taught missionary techniques.

You mean if I'd actually been allowed to stay in the Marines and go to the Defense Language Institute I would have been dealing with a bunch of Mormon missionaries? Scary thought. Now, I wonder how Mr Bartow dealt with that!

Go to Top of Page

comradebillyboy
Skeptic Friend

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2001 :  18:45:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send comradebillyboy a Private Message
yes the mormon beliefs are just as odd and outlandish as christian or jewish beliefs.

a lot of mormon kids attend my school. they generally are well mannered, disciplined and hard working. my better students are disproportionatly mormon. interestingly, my exchange student last year was a moslem girl from turkey; she liked mormons because she felt they shared her moral values.

comrade billyboy
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Skeptic Friend

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2001 :  22:59:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hook a Private Message
quote:

You mean if I'd actually been allowed to stay in the Marines and go to the Defense Language Institute I would have been dealing with a bunch of Mormon missionaries? Scary thought.

Lol!

Probably not. What I meant was that when Intel needs extra linguists fast, they look to the Mormons. Shortage of linguists, being able to keep up the skills of linguists when their language isn't the hot spot language and getting more linguists through DLI are all hot topics right now in the MI world.

(P-)>

We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars.
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2001 :  09:50:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
Probably not. What I meant was that when Intel needs extra linguists fast, they look to the Mormons. Shortage of linguists, being able to keep up the skills of linguists when their language isn't the hot spot language and getting more linguists through DLI are all hot topics right now in the MI world.

And it took me 4 years to convince the Marines to assign me a spot in DLI. Then I go and blow out my knee - and no Russian. Here's the weird thing - I spoke Russian going into the Marines, scored a 128 on the DLAB and only scored a 126 on the Electronics test and they stick me in electronics - go figure. An MOS manned at 178% v one manned at 54%. What were they thinking?

Don't suppose many missionaries in the former Soviet Union. Maybe they didn't speak Russian.

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2001 :  10:00:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
Gee, Trish, you seem to be a wack magnet. What kind of work did you say you do?

At the time - Tech Illustration with a bit of Tech Writing thrown in for practical purposes.

This is why I no longer date. I really am a magnet for every f***ing whacko out there. If I date my life seems to become way too interesting - so I quit.

Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2001 :  12:22:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
Trish:

There are a lot of stupid fools out there. When I was young and dating, I purposely gave all of them the *independent woman* thing and got rid of most of them on the first date. The other dates (including all of the ones that I did not marry) became good friends (at least) and have kept in touch for many, many years -- either with me, or with both me and my family. Of course, there are men who would take that as a challenge.

I look at troubled men as being slightly dangerous and treat all of them with kid gloves and, in addition, try to bore them to death.

ljbrs

*Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error.* Goethe
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2001 :  12:26:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
Trish:

Find some very, very boring topics and read up on all of them so that you become a master at boring people with trivial details. You will be able to sweetly get rid of all of the jerks. Your only problem is that you might just happen to select a topic of great interest to the person you are attempting to bore. So it can backfire, if you are not careful.

ljbrs

*Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error.* Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2001 :  05:06:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
ljbrs,

I generally begin discussing various problems with horses that require an enema. Very few people find that subject tolerable - let alone interesting.

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction." ~Blaise Pascal
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.