Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  08:59:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
It is entirely 100% possible to secure your firearms in a manner that would require the use of a significant ammount of force to unsecure them.

Going back to the main topic, should this also apply to knives and "long, sharp, pointy thingies," but in a less strict manner?

quote:
Anyone who has children and guns, or expects children not their own in their house, has an obligation to secure their firearms.

I would imagine that everyone, not just those who have children around, should exercise the same amount of gun safety, no?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 05/28/2005 11:06:08
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  10:18:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

I would imagine that everyone, not just those who have children around, should exercise the same amount of gun safety, no?

Indeed. I've seen cases of retarded adults shooting other adults by accident, just because they were playing with those shiny dark things that go boom when you press that inviting trigger.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  11:33:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

quote:

Indeed. I've seen cases of retarded adults shooting other adults by accident, just because they were playing with those shiny dark things that go boom when you press that inviting trigger.

And where exactly have you been, young lady? We've been worried!

You are of course correct, however idiots will do their thing and nothing is foolproof. There people who should not be allowed to handle a tongue depressor, let alone a firearm or a knife.

Rare indeed is the child who reaches his/her majority without shedding blood from careless knife-handling. And in the absence of a regular blade, there are such things as broken glass, opened tin cans, barbed wire, fishing hooks, ill-tempered house cats, and many, many other sharp, pointy thingies. I once ran a screwdriver through the palm my hand trying to shuck oysters with it. Stupid, stupid, stupid....

I did my best to teach my daughters about knives as well as firearms. They learned well, I think. Neither has much scar tissue and neither has been accidently nor even on purpose, shot. I look at this sort of thing, teaching a child about that which bites, as one of the prime responsibilities of a parent. It is impossible to keep all of it away by hiding or by legislation, so they need to know when they encounter the potentally dangerous. That is the only way to keep them as safe as possible.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  11:56:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Rare indeed is the child who reaches his/her majority without shedding blood from careless knife-handling.

I was attempting to close a pocket knife with the front of my hand. Problem was, I had it backwards and was pushing on the wrong side. Had a fairly deep cut, nothing that I needed stitches for, but I always double check now.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  12:09:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I can still see the tip of a pencil I jammed into the palm of my hand (accidentally) over 26 years ago. On the back of that hand is a black line of road scum under the skin from where I got cut on a license plate while trying to open the truck of my friend's Triumph TR4 (the trunk handle and license plate were real close together on that model).

Wait, what was the point? Oh, right: I've still got numerous skateboard-related scars. My skateboard was a device much more likely to cause my blood to be spilled than my pocket knives, throwing stars, etc.. And, of course, people have tried (and failed) to ban skateboards, too.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  12:45:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

...I got cut on a license plate while trying to open the truck of my friend's Triumph TR4...My skateboard was a device much more likely to cause my blood to be spilled than my pocket knives...

TR4, nice car - oh, (I was day dreaming,) anyway, with banning stuff for the sake of safety, there's a line somewhere that crosses between the potential to get hurt and living one's life.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  12:58:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

I can still see the tip of a pencil I jammed into the palm of my hand (accidentally) over 26 years ago. On the back of that hand is a black line of road scum under the skin from where I got cut on a license plate while trying to open the truck of my friend's Triumph TR4 (the trunk handle and license plate were real close together on that model).

Wait, what was the point? Oh, right: I've still got numerous skateboard-related scars. My skateboard was a device much more likely to cause my blood to be spilled than my pocket knives, throwing stars, etc.. And, of course, people have tried (and failed) to ban skateboards, too.

My youth was well before the days of the skateboard. It is probably just as well...

Never the less, we had plenty of ways to leave wet smears of our epidermis on various pavements; roller skates, bicyles and steep hills come to mind. There were also mules that didn't much mind plowing, but hated to be ridden. I carry some reminders of that as well. Got thrown and landed on a fence. Not being able to take a licking for an answer, I tried him again a few days later -- but well away from fences, this time. And got tossed again, reopening the wounds.

My mother once made a remark about raising my brother and I in barrels, only letting us out at feeding time.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  13:05:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:

quote:

Aww, I was missed I've been... around. Yes. Ya know... roleplaying, pretending to study, trying to get myself a job (and at last, succeeding!). Don't know why I just randomly stopped frequenting SFN, though. But I know why I came back

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  18:41:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Aww, I was missed I've been... around. Yes. Ya know... roleplaying, pretending to study, trying to get myself a job (and at last, succeeding!). Don't know why I just randomly stopped frequenting SFN, though. But I know why I came back

You've got a gig? That's great! Doing what?

And of course you were missed. Why, you could have had another encounter with sharp, pointy thingies in hospital, and we all know what a bummer that is.

Glad to see you back...

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

skepticality
Skeptic Friend

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  20:56:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit skepticality's Homepage Send skepticality a Private Message
I don't know you, but I missed you too! ;)

Derek Colanduno
host - skepticality
http://www.skepticality.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  21:23:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Going back to the main topic, should this also apply to knives and "long, sharp, pointy thingies," but in a less strict manner?

Knives, in accidental circumstances, generally have less destructive capability than a firearm and therefore less need to be secured so thoroughly. But yes, you can secure anything you deem to be a danger. Knives, guns, skateboards, bleach... you name it.

quote:

Not really. If you expect no other people to be in your house, it isn't necessary to lock everything up so securely.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  22:00:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
Don't forget to ban swimming pools, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  02:30:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I am convinced that far more dangerous than knives and firearms in the household is all of that neat if slightly moldy stuff in the cupboard under the kitchen sink. Strong cleansers, bleach, ammonia, half-cans of paint, dead cockroachs, and so forth are child magnets. I don't know the statistics, but a lot of injuries come from there. My son-in-law is a hospital administrator, and he says that it's very common.

Idiots with firearms redux, or, How To Become Monorchid, Crippled, and Locked Up With All Speed: This is one that Kevin told me about. It seems that Shit-For-Brains burgled a pistol and didn't know how to load it! So, he took it to another crackhead that that did. They purchased a box of cartridges and went through the drill. They fired the piece a few times, then S-F-B stuffed it into his wasteband like Clint Eastwood without securing it, and you already know what happened then. The bullet made a shallow mess of his lower belly and neatly whacked a testicle on it's way to smashing one of his knees (I didn't get which one of either, but it really doesn't matter). The meat wagon brought him into ER with a handful of giggling cops close behind.

Sorta makes one believe in poetic justice, if not God.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  05:03:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Aww, I was missed
Yes, you had us worrying!
quote:

I've been... around. Yes. Ya know... roleplaying, pretending to study, trying to get myself a job (and at last, succeeding!). Don't know why I just randomly stopped frequenting SFN, though. But I know why I came back

You must tell us more! Why not this evening, when we have the Chat?
(evening as in evening where Siberia lives, afternoon in the US and late evening/midnight in Europe)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  06:26:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You've got a gig? That's great! Doing what?

And of course you were missed. Why, you could have had another encounter with sharp, pointy thingies in hospital, and we all know what a bummer that is.

Glad to see you back...

Indeed I have Last monday I started at IBM, working with Market Intelligence. Very fun stuff! More details are sure to follow in tonight's chat, if my 'net keeps working and my sister won't come up with anything resembling leaving my little hut.

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.