Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  09:19:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Gosh, when I started skateboarding the wheels had not advanced to the polyurethane wheels of today. We were still riding on clay composite wheels. That meant serious trouble if you hit as much as a pebble while riding. Our boards came to a complete stop, no matter how fast we were riding. I still have the scars.

My nose was broken three times surfing, along with various head-bonks that happened when my head and my board tried to occupy the same place in the churning surf during a wipeout. I also managed to get water on the knee, an ulcerated knee from knee paddling long boards, back in the day.

I was shot at a Christmas office party by some guys who thought it would be a fun idea to play with shot gun shells. That injury almost cost me a finger. Lucky for me, as a guitar player, I have almost full movement again in that finger. It's a tad shorter than it was before being shot.

As for my Hinkle knives, I have only cut myself once. And that was due to my knife not being sharp enough…

Folks, it's a dangerous world out there. I recommend staying home and in bed all the time if you don't want to get hurt. (Even though there have been many recorded bed incidents and injuries.) Oh shit, there is no way out.

Living is risky business…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  09:53:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
I was shot at a Christmas office party by some guys who thought it would be a fun idea to play with shot gun shells. That injury almost cost me a finger.

You're going to have to explain this one a bit more. How exactly do you play with shot gun shells at a Christmas party to make them go off?

quote:
I recommend staying home and in bed all the time if you don't want to get hurt. (Even though there have been many recorded bed incidents and injuries.) Oh shit, there is no way out.

Especially if your bed is the middle of an open field, 'cause there, you might just get run over by a truck.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 05/29/2005 09:53:57
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  13:50:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
That's simple Ricky...

You just take a hammer a flatten the shell against the concrete.

That's what I did with a .22 I found in the garage. That happened before my father rather angrily explained to me the danger of doing such a thing. I had no clue, and nothing happened, so forunately it was a dud or something.

It never went off.

But it got flat...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  16:11:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Let me say that again:

How exactly do you play with shot gun shells at a Christmas office party to make them go off?

How often do you go to a Christmas office party with a hammer in your back pocket?

Hell, how often do you go to a Christmas office party with shot gun shells?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 05/29/2005 16:12:27
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  17:19:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Well, Kil is a general contractor. One would expect his offices to be chock-full of hammers.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  17:37:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Oh, I forgot to mention that I have shot brads through my fingers a few times with nail guns...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

skepticality
Skeptic Friend

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  09:07:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit skepticality's Homepage Send skepticality a Private Message
Kil!

I've done the same dumb thing!

I also got a huge needle through my hand once while assisting in an operating room. (Vet)

Derek Colanduno
host - skepticality
http://www.skepticality.com/
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  17:27:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
I think that it is particularly important to select your friends carefully. If you do so, the chances of being physically or emotionally hurt by any of them is relatively small.

I know. I have had a great life with wonderful friends.

Then again, I do not own sharp, pointy things.

ljbrs

"Innumerable suns exist; innumerable earths revolve about these suns in a manner similar to the way the seven planets revolve around our sun. Living beings inhabit these worlds."
Giordano Bruno
(Burned at the stake by the Roman Catholic Church Inquisition in 1600)
Edited by - ljbrs on 06/01/2005 17:31:45
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  05:52:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
In my life, I have been shot, stabbed, burned, and snakebit as well as damned near drowned, and there is no doubt that Kil is right: it's a tough and rowdy, old world.
quote:
Folks, it's a dangerous world out there. I recommend staying home and in bed all the time if you don't want to get hurt. (Even though there have been many recorded bed incidents and injuries.) Oh shit, there is no way out.

But, it's the only world we have, and staying home abed isn't all that safe, as stated. The ceiling could fall on you; you could be bitten by a bedbug that has recently fed upon a bubonic rat; your cat could go to sleep on your face and suffocate you like Hungry Joe... Oh, all sorts of terrible things!

Yer gonna croak sooner or later anyway, so quit worrying and enjoy it while yer still in it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  12:56:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
Every time I use "Superglue" or "Krazyglue" or a similar product, I get some stuck on my fingers - no matter how many precautions I take.

(I haven't had to use it in a while. That's why I can type this.)

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.