New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  02:10:09  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
This is so ridiculous that I almost put it in humor.
quote:
An Indianapolis father is appealing a Marion County judge's unusual order that prohibits him and his ex-wife from exposing their child to "non-mainstream religious beliefs and rituals."

The parents practice Wicca, a contemporary pagan religion that emphasizes a balance in nature and reverence for the earth.

Cale J. Bradford, chief judge of the Marion Superior Court, kept the unusual provision in the couple's divorce decree last year over their fierce objections, court records show. The order does not define a mainstream religion.
Emphasis mine.

So, now the court, this court at least, is ignoring the Constitution and American tradition, and telling people what religions not to teach their children. What's next? A return to heresy trials?

As the article states further down; overturning this drivel should be a slam-dunk, which one would think that good, righteous, ol' Cale J. should have known going in. But like some frothing, fundie xenophobe, he left the order in there, anyway. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this grounds for impeachment? If it's not, then it should be.

How did this wanker ever get on the bench in the first place? One hopes that he will not long remain there.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  06:54:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

This is so ridiculous that I almost put it in humor.
quote:
An Indianapolis father is appealing a Marion County judge's unusual order that prohibits him and his ex-wife from exposing their child to "non-mainstream religious beliefs and rituals."

The parents practice Wicca, a contemporary pagan religion that emphasizes a balance in nature and reverence for the earth.

Cale J. Bradford, chief judge of the Marion Superior Court, kept the unusual provision in the couple's divorce decree last year over their fierce objections, court records show. The order does not define a mainstream religion.
Emphasis mine.

So, now the court, this court at least, is ignoring the Constitution and American tradition, and telling people what religions not to teach their children. What's next? A return to heresy trials?

As the article states further down; overturning this drivel should be a slam-dunk, which one would think that good, righteous, ol' Cale J. should have known going in. But like some frothing, fundie xenophobe, he left the order in there, anyway. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this grounds for impeachment? If it's not, then it should be.

How did this wanker ever get on the bench in the first place? One hopes that he will not long remain there.
It's odd because, it seems, both parents practice wicca. I mean, I could see how, if one parent were "mainstream" (and really-- does beleiving that a man walked on water, turned water into wine, and rose from the dead really seem mainstream to you?!?) that the judge might make some provision at that parent's request (not that it would be a fair order or anything). But clearly, this was a chance for the judge to inset his own religious view on the parents-- ostensibly because he can't stand that the parents aren't "mainstream". Talk about activist judges! If only there were a liberal talk radio set that would jump all over this, as the right-wing AM echo chamber would no doubt do were the situations reversed!
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  16:12:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist
(and really-- does beleiving that a man walked on water, turned water into wine, and rose from the dead really seem mainstream to you?!?)

It's mainstream if you believe it too, and for some reason there are still A LOT of people that believe that poop. But that judge should be found guilty of treason.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 05/28/2005 16:13:23
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  17:14:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
Kinda makes you wonder what numbnuts like Cale & Roy Moore were doing during law school, doesn't it? It doesn't seem like they were staying up nights studying constitutional law.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  21:43:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Bet you won't hear a single peep from the religious right about "activist" judges or "judicial tyranny".

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  01:09:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Bet you won't hear a single peep from the religious right about "activist" judges or "judicial tyranny".

Indeed, indeed. This is exactly the breed of theocratic lout they are striving so mightly to install.

Another group that you will hear little more than mummers from is our noble forth estate. This assault upon basic rights should have gotten wide coverage, yet I have seen it nowhere else.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  06:57:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
Must.... resist.... urge.... to..... lecture.... Bradford.... on.... significance.... of..... law.....

His absurd contention that somehow the child may be hurt by attending non-mainstream rituals and services, (fucking fundie asshole, there, that feels better.) makes me want to drive down there and fully explain the religion and ask if his opinion would be different if the ruling had said "fundamentalist religious beliefs and rituals".

It is their child and, by the First Amendment, their responsibility to direct the religious upbringing of their child without the interference of the state except in cases where it endangers the child. (Wicca does not)

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.