Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  17:16:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Did anyone else do level 18 without having to use the last double mirror?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  18:20:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Okay, Matt, you rock with the lasers.

Now gimme a hint for level 23, please.

The bulb in the middle of the level, in the gap in the wall, has to be hit three times with the laser.

quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

Did anyone else do level 18 without having to use the last double mirror?
Yeah, I don't know what that's about. Maybe it's supposed to be a red herring.
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  18:30:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dv82matt

Yeah, I don't know what that's about. Maybe it's supposed to be a red herring.

It's not the only time you get left overs. I managed to complete one level with 2 components left over.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  18:54:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

The bulb in the middle of the level, in the gap in the wall, has to be hit three times with the laser.
Hey, thanks for not rubbing in my laser-feebleness. I'll remember that!

But, your answer is what I was afraid of... I already tried to look at it like that, and am just not seeing it.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  19:05:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Nope, still not getting it. The path has to end with the top-most bulb, and no matter what I try, I can't seem to get to it before running out of mirrors and/or prisms. ARGH!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  19:19:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
quote:

Hey, thanks for not rubbing in my laser-feebleness. I'll remember that!
Well level 23 had me stumped for quite awhile. The good news is that level 24 is comparatively easy.
quote:
But, your answer is what I was afraid of... I already tried to look at it like that, and am just not seeing it.
Don't use a prism right away. Light up a few bulbs first.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  19:40:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Don't use a prism right away. Light up a few bulbs first.
I did. I had 3 lit up before my first prism, to get it back through the central hole. Two more prisms involved in getting back through the 3rd time. One prism, two mirros left, 2 bulbs unlit, one at the top, one at the bottom. No way to get both bulbs and avoid an explosion.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  20:03:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
quote:

I did. I had 3 lit up before my first prism, to get it back through the central hole. Two more prisms involved in getting back through the 3rd time. One prism, two mirros left, 2 bulbs unlit, one at the top, one at the bottom. No way to get both bulbs and avoid an explosion.
Sounds like you may have almost got it. You should only have to use two mirrors and two prisms on the left side total. That will leave you with three mirrors and a prism to get the final two bulbs on the right.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  22:37:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
It was the little trick at the end of 23 I was missing, apparently. Damn, I'm tired.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  22:50:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by woolytoad
I'm betting your prism is in the wrong place. Hint:
I need more. While I very much appreciated the hint, that insight isn't doing anything for me. I'm assuming the first lens places needs to be a splitter, but I can find no way to turn the beam back around to catch all the angled bulbs both above and below the beam, especially as the top bulbs are arranged in two opposing diagonals (like this: ^) and they only give you one prism.

I need another hint, if that's possible.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 07/22/2005 22:51:20
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  23:20:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

I'm assuming the first lens places needs to be a splitter...
This assumption may be incorrect.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  23:31:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
Hmmm, try and imagine all the possible lines that can connect up the bulbs, (more:) and then work out how to draw the lines in one continuous motion.

Sounds like you;re using too many lines to connect up the bulbs.

I cheated with Level 17. I would never have thought of it. I had already got one idea stuck in my head and couldn't let go. :-(
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  23:36:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
For the show-offs. My link only contains the first 25 levels. There are 3 more. I've heard after level 25 it'll sort of just hang on level 26 as you are supposed to purchase the game or something. Anyway, try this, http://www.raymer.org/games/ and click on "reflections".
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  00:08:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

I'm assuming the first lens places needs to be a splitter...
This assumption may be incorrect.

Damn, finally! Thanks, guys. The solution was actually not far off from one I tried, but I couldn't get the lines right. Turns out I needed to start the prism one space over more than I was. The solutions always seem so damn obvious once you get them.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 07/23/2005 00:09:20
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  00:17:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by woolytoad

For the show-offs. My link only contains the first 25 levels. There are 3 more. I've heard after level 25 it'll sort of just hang on level 26 as you are supposed to purchase the game or something. Anyway, try this, http://www.raymer.org/games/ and click on "reflections".

Hey wooly, your link provides the solutions as well as the puzzles. I haven't checked the solutions yet, but I haven't made much progress with level 26 so far either.

I don't know how long I can resist temptation.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.