Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Health
 Nuclear power ...let's find something else!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  20:04:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Guys, you're overlooking the obvious: Zero-point Energy Extraction from the Quantum Vacuum. Come on, it's free energy!!!!

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  00:00:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Guys, you're overlooking the obvious: Zero-point Energy Extraction from the Quantum Vacuum. Come on, it's free energy!!!!

Sarcasmometer = tilt

Allthough, the zero point thing is a nifty idea.... to bad it has the same level of evidentiary support as the Star Trek warp drive.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Hitchiker1

11 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  17:36:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hitchiker1 a Private Message
I would like to respond to everyone if I can. First off my sources on the Civaux nuclear power plant : I lived within 30 kilometers of that plant for 8 years. When they got over the 20 tech problem mark I moved.For inside source material besides the occaisional temp worker I met there was also the French Electrical Workers Union bulletins EDF , the bulletins of the French government concerning developpments in the nuclear industry ASN the two local papers : Centre Presse and La Nouvelle Republique also inside info from the Stop-Civaux bulletin.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  17:47:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
I would like to respond to everyone if I can.

Take your time. It's nice to know you're still here, as many people post once and never come back. But we are patient, there is no rush.

quote:
When they got over the 20 tech problem mark I moved

If you could point to a source which describes each of these problems, it would be quite helpful. I will be searching for it in the meantime.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 07/06/2005 17:48:13
Go to Top of Page

Hitchiker1

11 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  18:06:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hitchiker1 a Private Message
I have about 7 pages of response that I'd like to post and this format only allows for one large paragraph. First I would like to make a point with the nuclear industry guy.At the Civaux nuclear power plant which is
based on American technology the FAIL-SAFE command cluster device which
is supposed to prevent criticality by dropping Boron into the pool and
seperating the neutrons from knocking the hell out of each other FAILED
TWICE !!! during trial runs and a third time was obstructed by a jacket
or something left draped over the mechanism by a temp worker ? Worse :
the cooling system pipes developed cracks within the first 3 months of
operation and the amount of water rushing into the containment area
caused a problem which took 36 hours just to locate. It was classified
as a level 3 nuclear incident.More nuclear folly: at the Blaye plant near Bordeaux France an important part of the electrical system was constructed near ground level.The Gironde river nearby overflowed after
3 days of rain causing major problems. Hey if scientists can't forsee
simple problems like an overflowing river then I'm worried about the
safe new power plants.Particularly when fail-safe isn't fail-safe!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  18:48:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hitchiker1

I have about 7 pages of response that I'd like to post and this format only allows for one large paragraph.
Well, what are you using to type up your reply? Your posts are coming out with extra carriage returns.

Mutliple paragraphs are easy using Notepad or the online editor. Just hit "enter" twice at the end of a line.

Like that.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Hitchiker1

11 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  20:05:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hitchiker1 a Private Message
More replies : I would like to thank that nuclear industry guy for that
GEM of doublespeak : - There is no toxic waste going into the water /
followed later by : -Liquid effluents from other sources are allowed to be released within limits./
BINGO!!!
Effluents are guess what ? Liquid waste.
That goes where ? In the river nearby.
And what's in those effluents ? Radioactive elements!
And how the hell do I know anyway ? I just happened to have read the DRIRE report about the limits which were not respected in the Vienne
river from the effluents at the Civaux Nuclear power plant. They use
the same technology as we do. The DRIRE is the French government industry watch dog. And Civaux was naughty-naughty just like the rest of you guys.
Go to Top of Page

Hitchiker1

11 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  21:27:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hitchiker1 a Private Message
More replies . First off some facts : 1947 nobel prize winner Physicist
and geneticist Pr. Dr. Mueller demonstrated in his work that even the
most infinitessimal amount of radioactivity effects cell growth.
Conclusion ? There are no lower limits to radiation safety !
Marie Curie discovered Radium which is radioactive.80 years or so after
her death one of her laboratory sites was converted into a grade school.
People had forgotten that this was one of her laboratory sites.School
officials began to notice the unusually high rate of sick children until
they did some research and discovered it had been her laboratory and
it was still radioactive. The school was shut down. What do you think
Marie Curie died of ? 1. A heart attack. 2. A car crash. 3. CANCER. ?
Who is going to remember where they put the plutonium in 20 000 years ?
Thats the half-life of the wonderful stuff that's produced in nuclear
power plants! Yes...I know that radioactivity occurs naturally.So does
Tobacco. But it's also carcinogenic.But what's a few hundred thousand
tobacco related deaths world wide each year ? It's not like a car crash.
You can't actually see it all happen at once like on TV.Are people in the nuclear industry worried about 6000 cases of thyroid cancer in
children in the Ukraine and somewhat more in Belarus due to Chernobyl ?
Under normal conditions the figure would have been closer to 6! Who cares ? That was outdated Soviet technology Right ? Well Think again.
Recently a FAIL-SAFE device that is supposed to deliver Boron to seperate the neutrons from knocking into each other in order to prevent
a meltdown FAILED TWICE DURING TRIAL RUNS.

Go to Top of Page

Hitchiker1

11 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  21:43:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hitchiker1 a Private Message
More replies again : COST BENEFITS ? You mean now or 20 000 years from
now when there is an earthquake and the nuclear waste in the protective
cement encasements buried in a supposed geologically secure area comes
to the surface again with a vengence? But who cares ? Certainly not the
scientific crowd that brought us atomic bombs or the H.A.R.P project
which will make a hole in the ionisphere or the idiots that want to fool
around with energy that is HOTTER THAN THE SUN. Smart has nothing to do with wise. And no i don't have a source on that quote...it's my own.
DAVE : PLEASE DON'T BURY MY POSTS IN HEALTH NOBODY"S INTERESTED IN HEALTH ! THATS WHY
Go to Top of Page

Hitchiker1

11 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  21:53:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hitchiker1 a Private Message
DAVE : Evidently you don't rock. You're trying to hide my posts in the health category where nobody is going to look. The problem is with the nuclear power industry that is creating a health hazard. All I'm asking for is that money be allocated to research for alternative power sources
which will not cause cancer or other diseases. With the billions allocated to testing dust on Titan we would be wiser to find alternate
power sources. We're running out of oil and yes someday we'll run out of
Uranium too. Thank god. Hey keep up the light bulb jokes we know where
your paycheck comes from !!!
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  22:44:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
quote:

DAVE : Evidently you don't rock. You're trying to hide my posts in the health category where nobody is going to look. The problem is with the nuclear power industry that is creating a health hazard.
Given that you're talking about a health hazard the health folder seems appropriate to me. I kind of doubt that Dave moved this thread to an appropriate folder in order to hide it.

If you want more people to read and appreciate your posts I'd suggest that you add a modicum of formatting to your posts. Take the time to remove the extra line feeds, and break your posts into paragraphs.

If you don't care enough about your ideas to take the time to express them cogently, then why should anyone else?
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  23:04:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
DAVE : Evidently you don't rock. You're trying to hide my posts in the health category where nobody is going to look...Hey keep up the light bulb jokes we know where your paycheck comes from !!!
Are you suggesting Dave was paid by the energy industry to move you post into the Health folder?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  06:29:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

You're trying to hide my posts in the health category where nobody is going to look.
People "look" here all the time. There's nothing hidden here. This thread will keep popping up on "Active Topics" so long as people keep posting to it.
quote:
The problem is with the nuclear power industry that is creating a health hazard.
Right, all you're doing is talking about health, yet you don't want your topic in the health folder. Go figure.
quote:
All I'm asking for is that money be allocated to research for alternative power sources which will not cause cancer or other diseases.
Good luck finding any. Every method of energy production that I'm aware of has "byproducts" which aren't safe. Again, which form of energy is "best" will largely be a personal, subjective opinion based upon your own health fears and environmental concerns.
quote:
Hey keep up the light bulb jokes we know where your paycheck comes from !!!
Yeah, I make an anti-nuclear lightbulb joke, and am clearly no dogmatic fan of nuclear power, yet you think I'm getting paid by the industry. Nice. It's no wonder you think that HAARP is going to "make a hole in the ionisphere," and are worried about experiments (already happening) which create hotter-than-the-Sun temperatures.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  06:56:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

DAVE : Evidently you don't rock. You're trying to hide my posts in the health category where nobody is going to look. The problem is with the nuclear power industry that is creating a health hazard. All I'm asking for is that money be allocated to research for alternative power sources
which will not cause cancer or other diseases. With the billions allocated to testing dust on Titan we would be wiser to find alternate
power sources. We're running out of oil and yes someday we'll run out of
Uranium too. Thank god. Hey keep up the light bulb jokes we know where
your paycheck comes from !!!

As you are referencing health related problems with the nuclear industry, the classification that Dave put this thread to is appropriate. You have had several responses. Your assertation that noone reads the health folder is incorrect.

You evidentally are not aware of the US government also backing (through pre-existing legislation) other forms of energy including clean coal (which seems to be a misnomer) and renewable power supplies. The government has also moved toward assisting the development of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles but to do that, one needs first to get an adequate supply of electricity.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  07:04:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

More replies . First off some facts : 1947 nobel prize winner Physicist
and geneticist Pr. Dr. Mueller demonstrated in his work that even the
most infinitessimal amount of radioactivity effects cell growth.
Conclusion ? There are no lower limits to radiation safety !

My GOD, you're right!!!! Let's live deep underground so we can get away from the biggest producer of radiation! The sun.

In all things, there must be a modicum of acceptable risk. And radiation changing cell growth is the theory by which evolution works. It is a natural process.

quote:

Marie Curie discovered Radium which is radioactive.80 years or so after
her death one of her laboratory sites was converted into a grade school.
People had forgotten that this was one of her laboratory sites.School
officials began to notice the unusually high rate of sick children until
they did some research and discovered it had been her laboratory and
it was still radioactive. The school was shut down. What do you think
Marie Curie died of ? 1. A heart attack. 2. A car crash. 3. CANCER. ?
Who is going to remember where they put the plutonium in 20 000 years ?

That's why they have the nifty signs that are supposed to be able to warn non-english speakers of the danger.

quote:

Thats the half-life of the wonderful stuff that's produced in nuclear
power plants! Yes...I know that radioactivity occurs naturally.So does
Tobacco. But it's also carcinogenic.But what's a few hundred thousand
tobacco related deaths world wide each year ? It's not like a car crash.

But one can choose to avoid tobacco completely. One cannot do so with radiation. Let's compare apples and apples here.

quote:

You can't actually see it all happen at once like on TV.Are people in the nuclear industry worried about 6000 cases of thyroid cancer in
children in the Ukraine and somewhat more in Belarus due to Chernobyl ?
Under normal conditions the figure would have been closer to 6! Who cares ? That was outdated Soviet technology Right ? Well Think again.
Recently a FAIL-SAFE device that is supposed to deliver Boron to seperate the neutrons from knocking into each other in order to prevent
a meltdown FAILED TWICE DURING TRIAL RUNS.

US plants have a slightly different mechanism for preforming the dampening of fission. I think we've covered what happens in a US plant if a fission reaction gets out of hand. The containment walls are such that a breach of containment is highly unlikely even if the safteys are overridden.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds.