Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  15:09:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:
Don't choke to death in your sleep.

That would be cot death then...

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dry_vby
Skeptic Friend

Australia
249 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  15:24:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dry_vby a Private Message
quote">[i]
Hey, don't say craps. I'm from the same country of Leonardo da Vinci, the father of airplane, helicopter and mechanical machines.

SECOND STATEMENT: NASA's buffoons say the probe passes near Venus and Venus increases its velocity. COMPLETELY FALSE.

Venus is not magic, it has no capacity to increase spacecraft's velocity.

Venus hasn't hands to give a push to the probe.

[/quote]

I ran the Bigpain part of this message through Babel fish, English to Italian and then back again.

Everything came bach exactly the same except Leonardo Da Vinci's name.

It came back: Leonardo YOU WIN (upper case included).

If this is a game, then I won, apparently.

But who is Leonardo?

"I'll go along with the charade
Until I can think my way out.
I know it was all a big joke
Whatever it was about."

Bob Dylan
Edited by - Dry_vby on 08/11/2005 15:33:10
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  15:49:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:
Originally posted by bigbrain

They say that they can locate their probes with a radio signal, but
a radio signal is no use to locate a probe in infinite 3D space
It's no use, folks. We'd have to teach bigbrain how to triangulate, and also that the same techniques apply whether using radio or visible light.
We don't even have to triangulate...

First we use radio-telescope to locate declination and rectacention, just as bigbrain suggested. But finding the distance between Earth and the probe is even simpler:

We send a radio signal with a control-message to the probe. The probe has been programmed to recognise the control-message and immediately send a response. Since the engineers building the probe knows exactly how many microseconds it takes for the probe to respond we can subtract that time from the response: we can measure the delay from when we sent the control message to when the answer is received. take off the probes internal delay, divide the time by 2 and use light speed to calculate the distance.

With a 3MHz clock resolution in the distance-transceiver equipment, and a 30ns accuracy of the probe-delay we can measure the distance to the probe with a margin of only 100 meters!

At the risk of being murdered by my own government (or US government) for revealing military secrets, this principal has been used in military aircrafts since the late 60s.

(Edit: spelling)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 08/11/2005 15:51:29
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  16:21:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bigbrain

Hey, sts60

have you seen? More than 2000 "Views" in few days.

Everywhere I go, many people listen to me because I say intelligent things

Your only getting 2000 views because people can't look away from a car reck.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Dry_vby
Skeptic Friend

Australia
249 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  16:27:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dry_vby a Private Message
This is a very interesting phenomanon, and one worth exploring in another seperate thread, but it does appear on casual observation that the most frequented threads are the ones heavily involving charecters like Bigpain.

There's a lot of rubber-neckers around here.

Whatever it was about."

Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  17:40:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dry_vby

Seriously, the views-to-replies ratio is usually about 10:1. The difference with this thread is that bigbrain posts a lot of nonsense, and so it takes lots of replies to try to correct it. Plus, it's an easy dogpile. That's why the reply count got so high so fast (but views-to-replies is still about normal).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  19:07:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
And I find that even with my simulated Cassini going nearly 2,000 m/s faster than it should at the 50-minute mark, it only gets out to about 4.66x108 km (asteroid belt?) before turning back around towards the Sun (that's what I should have said in that other post, sts60: falling towards the Sun, not into). It gets that far after traveling for over 535 days, and nearly 180° around the Sun.

(Let's get a math check: at 3,317,000.0 m above the ground - which is itself 6,378.14 m from the center of my point mass of 5.976x1024 kg representing Earth - my model Cassini of 5,655 kg experiences a force due to Earth's gravity of 71,088.785 newtons. Everyone else get that number?)

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  19:20:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dry_vby

This is a very interesting phenomanon, and one worth exploring in another seperate thread, but it does appear on casual observation that the most frequented threads are the ones heavily involving charecters like Bigpain.

I find threads like this one to be cathartic. I work in the support dept. of a software company and have to deal with both dim and arrogant people, sometimes both, every single day. I enjoy witnessing one such get his comeuppance. It helps keep me sane.

- TW
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  19:27:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
TW, I'm sure you've seen Rinkworks' Computer Stupidities, but if you haven't, it can be a few hours of catharsis.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  19:30:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

First we use radio-telescope to locate declination and rectacention, just as bigbrain suggested. But finding the distance between Earth and the probe is even simpler:

We send a radio signal with a control-message to the probe. The probe has been programmed to recognise the control-message and immediately send a response. Since the engineers building the probe knows exactly how many microseconds it takes for the probe to respond we can subtract that time from the response: we can measure the delay from when we sent the control message to when the answer is received. take off the probes internal delay, divide the time by 2 and use light speed to calculate the distance.

With a 3MHz clock resolution in the distance-transceiver equipment, and a 30ns accuracy of the probe-delay we can measure the distance to the probe with a margin of only 100 meters!

Apollo used a similar method for ranging. From http://www.honeysucklecreek.net/station/technical.html

quote:

Ranging was a code transmitted to the spacecraft and returned for time comparison with the original code. The pseudo random noise range code, generated by a dedicated ranging system, was a combination of 5 codes to form a 5.4 second period code of 5,456,682 bits, which gave a maximum unambiguous range of 804,650 km, or twice the distance to the moon.

Ranging was initiated manually by the Ranging Technician after the station was locked onto the signal from the spacecraft, and once acquired by the code, was updated by doppler only. Resolution within the Ranging System was +/ 1 metre, but system jitter and ground instabilities gave an overall accuracy of +/ 15.2 metres.

The range code was summed with the other uplink signals and phase modulated onto the carrier.

There's a more detailed explanation on the 'net somewhere, but I can't seem to find it right now...

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  19:35:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Oh, yeah, I forgot to answer Mab! Yeah, ranging may be "simpler" for you and I to understand, but it depends on computer timing and whatnot, and I've got a feeling that the Internet is about all the computer-related stuff that bigbrain can handle. Triangulation can be done with a paper and pencil.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  19:36:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.
(Let's get a math check: at 3,317,000.0 m above the ground - which is itself 6,378.14 m from the center of my point mass of 5.976x1024 kg representing Earth - my model Cassini of 5,655 kg experiences a force due to Earth's gravity of 71,088.785 newtons. Everyone else get that number?)
Funny, Dave, because when I do the math, all I get is "blue three tesseract" which, in my estimation, just can't be right. But I'm no good at math...
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  19:53:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Cune, stop trying to do the math in Sumerian. "Blue three tesseract" only needs to be translated back into English, et voila! 71,088.785 newtons.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dry_vby
Skeptic Friend

Australia
249 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  19:56:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dry_vby a Private Message
I've just had another thought.

What if Braindead is really a front for an al-Qaeda rocket building cell pumping for information?

All this information might just be helping them establish a new base of operation.

When we see mosques on the moon, then you'll know I was right.

Whatever it was about."

Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  21:53:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Any chance of moving this entire thread to the humor section? ;-)

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.