New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  05:06:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Wow, you folks are way more patient than me.

You are anything but BigBrained, your ignorance is TOTAL.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  05:11:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

So, you have been hanging at the moon-landing hoax sites!

Just for the hell of it, let's go back a little farther, to the early to mid '60s: Do you think that the orbital flights in unpowered capsules, that required exact calculations and some damned fine science to get them down were frauds as well?

Consider your answer carefully: I was a Navy diver assigned to one of the pick-up vessels for one of these landings, and I saw it.

I also heard Sputnik's transmitions in the radio shack of another ship, earlier on. Did the Russians fake that one?

I wonder what the woo-woos will say when China lands some people on the moon in the next few years? I imagine they will say that didn't happen either because, you know, it is the RED COMMUNIST CONSPIRACY out to pollute our precious bodily fluids.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

bigbrain
BANNED

409 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  05:22:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bigbrain a Private Message
"Consider your answer carefully: I was a Navy diver assigned to one of the pick-up vessels for one of these landings, and I saw it".

They have swindled you. Listen to me carefully:

Space Shuttle has tiles (ha ha ha, a bathroom rocket) that protect it from friction with atmosphere.

Look at this:
http://www.apolloarchive.com/apollo_gallery.html
Image 11-pg2 Then scroll down to S69-21698

From that bath-tub Aldrin and Armstrong would have come out like roast chickens

"Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit" (Flattery gets friends, truth hatred)
Publius Terentius Afer, "Terence", Roman dramatist

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  05:34:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bigbrain

quote:
Originally posted by filthy
... have you been hanging out at the moon-landing hoax sites? If so, you need to stop it. Those clowns are real space shots ...

Nobody could in 1969, without powerful computers of today, but perhaps not even today could land in hovering like an helicopter that heavy piece of metal (Lunar Module)

Try to balance a coke can on your forefinger: it will fall off in any direction at 360 degrees.

Actually, they had the most powerful computer ever built on board the lander: the carefully trained, human brain.

And balancing a poisnoous substance on my forefinger is in aid of exactly what? And, I think you mean 180 degrees but no matter; I can do it, you know....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  05:45:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:

I meant Americans never went to the moon because nobody would have been able to land that ugly piece of metal (Lunar Module)
Cool, now we have claims in my field.

So you claim that it would be impossible to control the Lunar Module enough for a soft landing with the technology of the 60's?

Please show me what was missing then! Computing power? If that is the case please motivate the need for such an advanced control systems.

Sensors? The gyroscope was invented in the 19 th century, more than 100 years before the apollo project. Should accelerometers have been a problem in the 60s?

Let's see your facts.

A bit about the apollo guidance system:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_PGNCS
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  05:45:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

"Consider your answer carefully: I was a Navy diver assigned to one of the pick-up vessels for one of these landings, and I saw it".

They have swindled you. Listen to me carefully:

Space Shuttle has tiles (ha ha ha, a bathroom rocket) that protect it from friction with atmosphere.

Look at this:
http://www.apolloarchive.com/apollo_gallery.html
Image 11-pg2 Then scroll down to S69-21698

From that bath-tub Aldrin and Armstrong would have come out like roast chickens

Neat photo, but what does that have to do with anything?

The capsules came into the atmosphere at nothing like the speed of the shuttle, and they were quite well insulated.

Now then, how exactly was I swindled?

Oh, and where did the money skimmed from these alledged hoaxs go? You neglected to answer that one; a mere oversight, I'm sure.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bigbrain
BANNED

409 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  05:46:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bigbrain a Private Message
You haven't yet refuted my first statement:

look at this picture
http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagedisplay/img_display.php?pic=h_cassini_trajectory_02.gif&cap=The

Look at the last arc made by Cassini: Earth > Jupiter > Saturn

Cassini would have been able to travel along this path at 101,000 miles per hour going near Saturn in one year

"Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit" (Flattery gets friends, truth hatred)
Publius Terentius Afer, "Terence", Roman dramatist

Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  06:10:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:

look at this picture
http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagedisplay/img_display.php?pic=h_cassini_trajectory_02.gif?=The

Cassini would have been able to travel along this path at 101,000 miles per hour going near Saturn in one year

Looking back in this thread, perhaps you could actually show that your proposition is correct.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  06:12:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:

look at this picture
http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagedisplay/img_display.php?pic=h_cassini_trajectory_02.gif&cap=The

You haven't taken into account a number of factors, one being the speed of Saturn (approx 20,000 mph), nor the fact gravity fromthe planets and the sun DOES have an impact on the trjectory (just look at the page YOU posted), or even the fact that the Earth rotates and that must be corrected in order to get your "straight line" trajectory...please recompute your plan based on these facts.

Just taking the fact that Saturn also is not standing still, your imaginary flight time increases. I imagine you will make up the difference by just making your spacship go faster, right? Except you don't explain how your ship will achieve those speeds in the first place.

Hell, here is my plan. I can get there in 6 months, I just get my ship to go 250,000 mph. See, easily done...what is wrong with NASA and what is wrong with YOU?!?!?!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 08/10/2005 06:13:48
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  06:38:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sts60

Oh, yes indeed.

Nasa engineers don't consider Earth's velocity in their calculations, then they can't go anywhere in space.

Well, unknown/pierre../wildbill, just the other day when you were posting this drivel on apollohoax... in addition to pointing out exactly where you were wrong (which was everywhere), and why, you were given explicit examples of mission planners using Earth's velocity in Cassini mission planning. But enough talking to you; you don't merit any more of my time.

Folks, I advise you not to waste your time. We tried, we really did, over on apollohoax, to teach this guy something. He is literally incapable of learning anything. He will blither on ad infinitum, ad nauseum, get his little head handed to him on each post, and not once will he say anything that shows the slightest grasp of reality or evidence that he is paying any attention to the answers.

He's not even an interesting cat toy.

STS60, welcome to the SFN. OK, that's two independant forums which verify it.

bigbrain is a troll. Let's stop feeding him.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  06:43:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
>>> NASA engineers think the earth is the center of our solar system and don't consider earth's velocity.

>>> In this wrong way Cassini has travelled for 2 200 000 000 miles to meet Saturn.

>>> Cassini would have been able to fly along a straight line travelling for less than 1 000 000 000 miles.

>>> 65,000 miles per hour (earth velocity) + 36,000 miles per hour (spacecraft's velocity) = 101,000 miles per hour

>>> 1 000 000 000 miles : 365 days : 24 hours : 101,000 miles per hour = 1.13 years

>>> >>> If NASA engineers considered the earth's velocity, Cassini could meet Saturn in one year!

So if I throw my friend a football, it's actually going 65,000+50=65,050 mph? That's pretty fast!
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  06:44:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

quote:

I meant Americans never went to the moon because nobody would have been able to land that ugly piece of metal (Lunar Module)
Cool, now we have claims in my field.

So you claim that it would be impossible to control the Lunar Module enough for a soft landing with the technology of the 60's?

Please show me what was missing then! Computing power? If that is the case please motivate the need for such an advanced control systems.

Sensors? The gyroscope was invented in the 19 th century, more than 100 years before the apollo project. Should accelerometers have been a problem in the 60s?

Let's see your facts.

A bit about the apollo guidance system:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_PGNCS

Me thinks he's going to reference the LEM flight trainer with 4 jet engines that crashed because one engine lost power. Lots of woo-woo's point to that one.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  06:46:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

quote:
>>> NASA engineers think the earth is the center of our solar system and don't consider earth's velocity.

>>> In this wrong way Cassini has travelled for 2 200 000 000 miles to meet Saturn.

>>> Cassini would have been able to fly along a straight line travelling for less than 1 000 000 000 miles.

>>> 65,000 miles per hour (earth velocity) + 36,000 miles per hour (spacecraft's velocity) = 101,000 miles per hour

>>> 1 000 000 000 miles : 365 days : 24 hours : 101,000 miles per hour = 1.13 years

>>> >>> If NASA engineers considered the earth's velocity, Cassini could meet Saturn in one year!

So if I throw my friend a football, it's actually going 65,000+50=65,050 mph? That's pretty fast!

Gee, that would blow a hole in your friend about the size of a barn door. Better not throw that football.

(snicker)

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  06:52:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I need two pieces of information to complete my simulation:

1) How fast was Cassini actually going when the launch vehicle quit pushing it? (In other words, I can't find verification of the 36,000 mph figure.)

2) How high (from the Earth) was Cassini when the launch vehicle quit pushing it? (Close to Earth, the primary gravitational "drag" will be from the Earth itself.)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  09:46:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
bigbrain, I know that of course you won't, but read this:

http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/basics/bsf4-1.html

This url explains why as you say "fly straight to Jupiter" can't be done. It also explains why and how gravity assist is done.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds.