Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  16:41:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bigbrain

"If NASA is a swindle, where does the billions of government funding dollars for NASA actually go?"

All governments swindle

You didn't answer my question. Where does the money that the government claims goes to NASA actually go if it doesn't go to NASA? Or are you claiming that NASA spends the same amount of money creating computer images as they would on a real space program?
If NASA isn't building probes and sending them into space, there should be quite a bit of money left unaccounted for.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 08/09/2005 16:43:05
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  16:44:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
"Bigbrain"'s arguments, style and language are awfully familiar. I'm strongly inclined to think that Bigbrain=unknown=Pierre1985=Wildbill, a three-time loser over at the Apollohoax forum.

I offer this 17-page thread both as evidence in support of this hypothesis and as an indication of what we can expect if we indulge in feeding one of the most education-resistant, boorish and repetitive trolls I've yet seen infesting any skeptic forum.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

sts60
Skeptic Friend

141 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  19:49:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sts60 a Private Message
Oh, yes indeed.

Nasa engineers don't consider Earth's velocity in their calculations, then they can't go anywhere in space.

Well, unknown/pierre../wildbill, just the other day when you were posting this drivel on apollohoax... in addition to pointing out exactly where you were wrong (which was everywhere), and why, you were given explicit examples of mission planners using Earth's velocity in Cassini mission planning. But enough talking to you; you don't merit any more of my time.

Folks, I advise you not to waste your time. We tried, we really did, over on apollohoax, to teach this guy something. He is literally incapable of learning anything. He will blither on ad infinitum, ad nauseum, get his little head handed to him on each post, and not once will he say anything that shows the slightest grasp of reality or evidence that he is paying any attention to the answers.

He's not even an interesting cat toy.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  20:33:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sts60
Folks, I advise you not to waste your time. We tried, we really did, over on apollohoax, to teach this guy something. He is literally incapable of learning anything. He will blither on ad infinitum, ad nauseum, get his little head handed to him on each post, and not once will he say anything that shows the slightest grasp of reality or evidence that he is paying any attention to the answers.

He's not even an interesting cat toy.
Hi, sts60, and thanks for the warning. Indeed, it seems pretty clear that lots of evidence has been shown to bigbrain concerning his (rather far-fetched!) assertions, but little of it has been addressed. Still, we here at SFN have a long history of giving trolls plenty of time to spew their vitrol despite our better judgement (witness Hybrid, latin, and, of course, verlch, but to name a few). Time will tell how long this goes on, however!
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  21:38:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sts60...
Thanks for stopping by, sts60, and welcome to SFN. Cruise around the site a bit, and feel free to post your comments on any other topics you find interesting. It's always nice to have another thoughtful, articulate participant in these forums.

We're also trying to be patient with bigbrain, trying to educate him and point out the errors in his reasoning, obviously with similar results to your experience. Once we each get a chance to bat around this cat toy (enjoyed your metaphor, by the way), we'll tire of it, too. I'm personally still trying to pin him down to being a child, a troll, an imbecile, or a victim of some debilitating mental illness.
Edited by - GeeMack on 08/09/2005 21:50:19
Go to Top of Page

bigbrain
BANNED

409 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  22:47:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bigbrain a Private Message
"The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise".

Dear ktesibios and sts60

More than 500 "Read" in one day means my statements are very interesting even if you don't like them because you believe in NASA as children believe in God.

Confute my statements instead of saying: "bigbrain is a troll, I advise you not to waste your time"

Dear GeeMack
you say: "I'm personally still trying to pin him down to being a child, a troll, an imbecile, or a victim of some debilitating mental illness".

Confute my statements instead of offending me.

In those other web-sites moderators banned me because nobody could confute my statements.

sts60 thinks to know the truth, but in our world all sciences are a big simplification of reality because we know very little about everything.

"Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit" (Flattery gets friends, truth hatred)
Publius Terentius Afer, "Terence", Roman dramatist

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  23:15:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
In those other web-sites moderators banned me because nobody could confute my statements.
They banned you because you refused to acknowledge their confutations.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

bigbrain
BANNED

409 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  23:32:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bigbrain a Private Message
"They banned you because you refused to acknowledge their confutations".

No, their confutations are wrong:

look at this picture
http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagedisplay/img_display.php?pic=h_cassini_trajectory_02.gif&cap=The

Look at the last arc made by Cassini: Earth > Jupiter > Saturn

Cassini would have been able to travel along this path at 101,000 miles per hour going near Saturn in one year

Nobody in those web-sites was able to confute this statement. They have done other reasonings to confuse people but my reasoning is right.

Edited by - bigbrain on 08/10/2005 02:13:45
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  02:46:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Can't turn my back for a second, can I? Take a few days off for health reasons, and just look at what happens! Oh dear, oh dear....

Unfortunatly bigbrain, I have neither the math nor the theory to confute (confute?) your arguments if such they be, but I must ask: have you been hanging out at the moon-landing hoax sites? If so, you need to stop it. Those clowns are real space shots.

I must further ask: if this is such a deep, dark conspiracy, where exactly has all of the scads of cash that NASA has recieved over the decades gone? I mean, that's a lot of coin and money that size is not easy to hide. Who has got it? Is it now sitting in Swiss banks or the coffers of the Republicans (who, given the chance, would steal a hot stove from an orphanage, smoke, cinders, soot, skillet, grease and all)?

And: please name some super-wealthy NASA engineers and their political cronies who can't readily explain their heavy bank accounts.

Edit:
quote:
sts60 thinks to know the truth, but in our world all sciences are a big simplification of reality because we know very little about everything.

I rather agree with the emphasized portion of this statement. We know so very little, yet we are learning so very much...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 08/10/2005 02:53:58
Go to Top of Page

bigbrain
BANNED

409 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  02:48:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bigbrain a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

quote:

If NASA (New Animation Software Agency) was able to steer probes to Mars and Saturn, it wouldn't be afraid of some clouds for Shuttle landing

Way off base here. Big difference between soft landings and orbital insertions. Also, the shuttle is landed by a human, not by a machine and humans need to have VFR conditions just in case ILS fails.

Orbital insertions and slingshots have a bigger window than soft landings.

Besides a blatant misunderstanding of physics, what evidence do you have that Softimage, Maya, 3D Studio Max, LightWave 3D invent these images for NASA?

Your probes have sensors able to hit a comet going at thousands miles per hour but...
but...
haven't they systems to go near the airport because of some clouds?
Then not even airplanes could land when is cloudy

Go to Top of Page

bigbrain
BANNED

409 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  02:58:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bigbrain a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
... have you been hanging out at the moon-landing hoax sites? If so, you need to stop it. Those clowns are real space shots ...

Nobody could in 1969, without powerful computers of today, but perhaps not even today could land in hovering like an helicopter that heavy piece of metal (Lunar Module)

Try to balance a coke can on your forefinger: it will fall off in any direction at 360 degrees.

Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  03:37:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:

Try to balance a coke can on your forefinger: it will fall off in any direction at 360 degrees.

Now I'm lost. What does our inability to maintain an unstable equilibrium have to do with space travel?
Go to Top of Page

bigbrain
BANNED

409 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  03:44:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bigbrain a Private Message
"Now I'm lost. What does our inability to maintain an unstable equilibrium have to do with space travel?"

I meant Americans never went to the moon because nobody would have been able to land that ugly piece of metal (Lunar Module)

Edited by - bigbrain on 08/10/2005 03:59:16
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  04:15:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
So, you have been hanging at the moon-landing hoax sites!

Just for the hell of it, let's go back a little farther, to the early to mid '60s: Do you think that the orbital flights in unpowered capsules, that required exact calculations and some damned fine science to get them down were frauds as well?

Consider your answer carefully: I was a Navy diver assigned to one of the pick-up vessels for one of these landings, and I saw it.

I also heard Sputnik's transmitions in the radio shack of another ship, earlier on. Did the Russians fake that one?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  04:59:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Your probes have sensors able to hit a comet going at thousands miles per hour but...
but...
haven't they systems to go near the airport because of some clouds?
Then not even airplanes could land when is cloudy

You have no idea what you are talking about. Have you ever piloted a plane? Not ridden as a passenger, but actually flown a plane? Have you read the FAR? Do you know how clouds form? (For background sake, I'm a pilot)

I don't expect a truthful answer here.

On another note I see bigbrain has now quit confuting. He is only throwing out ridiculous sound bites to try to get to (for him) steady ground. The other posts in this thread about Cassini have gone unanswered, and I wonder why?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 08/10/2005 05:04:28
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.