Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  10:33:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bigbrain

quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangulation ???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiolocation ???

No, please show me drawings of triangulations

In the first link there is a diagram (drawing) of a triangulation. Right up at the top, too.

No, that is a triangulation on a plane

We are in 3D space, dear friend

And a plane doesn't move in 3D?

Works the same way in space.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

sts60
Skeptic Friend

141 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  10:34:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sts60 a Private Message
John Baez's crackpot index (http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html) is actually meant to be applied to people claiming a new scientific theory. I think that to get well into triple digits without even claiming a new theory is a remarkable achievement. Especially since Baez has no point category for "denying the existence of an explicit citation provided in response to a demand for such a citation".

(sorry - fixed the URL)
Edited by - sts60 on 08/12/2005 10:39:34
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  10:35:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Fripp

BigIdiot,

Why does this stuff concern you? Since you aren't an american citizen, none of your tax dollars have been "swindled".

Please answer the questions put forth in the other thread. Or, go walk your dog, since he's apparently the only friend you have.

Do you really need to hear yourself say how smart you think you are? Listen very clearly: you are not smart. You've discovered nothing. And, with the amount of time you devote to this, it's clear that you have no life.

Goodbye loser.

Confute my statements instead of offending me

Been confuted. You just ignore them.

Go to Top of Page

bigbrain
BANNED

409 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  10:37:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bigbrain a Private Message
"And a plane doesn't move in 3D?

Works the same way in space".

No, you don't understand how things function in 3D space

"Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit" (Flattery gets friends, truth hatred)
Publius Terentius Afer, "Terence", Roman dramatist

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  10:39:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

"And a plane doesn't move in 3D?

Works the same way in space".

Your ignorance in this matter is astounding. A plane travels in 3 dimentions. Radiolocation on a plane works exactly the same way as in space.

Go to Top of Page

bigbrain
BANNED

409 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  10:39:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bigbrain a Private Message
"Been confuted. You just ignore them"

NOT AT ALL

Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  10:42:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message
quote:

OK, then describe how things function in 3D space. And tell us where you got your education. And exactly how you can claim to be knowledgable in this area.

And answer three other questions posed.

1. Where did all the money go?

2. Did NASA plan all the well-publicized failures as well?

3. And why does this concern you?

Otherwise, I will continue to offend you, idiot.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

bigbrain
BANNED

409 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  10:44:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bigbrain a Private Message
"Your ignorance in this matter is astounding. A plane travels in 3 dimentions. Radiolocation on a plane works exactly the same way as in space".

NO, if you do a triangulation from two points in 3D space, you can't locate your probe.

You should use 3 POINTS

Edited by - bigbrain on 08/12/2005 10:50:14
Go to Top of Page

sts60
Skeptic Friend

141 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  10:53:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sts60 a Private Message
Do any of you SFN regulars have difficulty understanding that observations made from different facilities, then repeated at those facilities after the Earth has moved them through space, can uniquely locate an object in space? That is, just repeating the observations after a while provides multiple triangulation points?

No, I didn't think any of you had difficulty understanding that. Nor understanding that such is not the only way to determine spacecraft location.

Edited to add: actually, taking measurements at different times (and thus at different points on the Earth's orbit) can be used to determine the distance to a fair number of stars, not just objects in the solar system.
Edited by - sts60 on 08/12/2005 10:59:40
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  10:57:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

"Your ignorance in this matter is astounding. A plane travels in 3 dimentions. Radiolocation on a plane works exactly the same way as in space".

NO, if you do a triangulation from two points in 3D space, you can't locate your probe.

You should use 3 POINTS

Your assumption is absurd.

1) radiolocation relies on equipment which can tell the exact direction of the returning beam.

2) There are far more than one tracking station on earth which are used for this.

3) two points on a globe going out to a third point in space gets you triangulation.

Thus endeth the basic geometry lesson for now.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  10:57:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

"Been confuted. You just ignore them"

NOT AT ALL

Refusing to evaluate them does not make them go away.

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  11:02:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
quote:

quote:

You should use 3 POINTS

1) radiolocation relies on equipment which can tell the exact direction of the returning beam.

2) There are far more than one tracking station on earth which are used for this.

3) two points on a globe going out to a third point in space gets you triangulation.

Yay. I've learned something from this post actually! I believe Kent Hovind seems to have had some of the big trouble understand this as "big brain" does?

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  11:04:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:

quote:

You should use 3 POINTS

On top of the fact (alreadymentioned I think) that as the Earth moves through space (and rotates too), those tracking station now have different x,y,z locations in 3D space (4D if we count time), therefore giving you much more than 3 points to triangulate. On top of the fact there are probably more than 2 stations.

Now, are you going to concede that you have been confuted on this? Or will you just gloss over this and make some other ridiculous assertion?

Next.

Edit: sorry, two other posters have already stated this - my apologies.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 08/12/2005 11:19:46
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  11:55:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Why are you folks still responding, read between the lines, In post #2 "Are you all gullible people in this forum"

Nobody is this stupid not even Verlch.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

bigbrain
BANNED

409 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  12:01:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bigbrain a Private Message
Originally posted by pleco

" ... those tracking station now have different x,y,z locations in 3D space ..."

Have different x, y, z locations relative to ???

Is this Hyperion? No, it's a typical stone you can find in aquaria
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/jpegMod/PIA06245_modest.jpg

Edited by - bigbrain on 08/12/2005 12:23:11
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.