Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  08:49:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

Problem is, this is what happened in Kansas a few years ago.
After the next election these SOBs were back.

True enough, but if things keep going as they now seem to be, ID could be utterly discredited by the next election.

It is something good that is coming out in this trial and in the KS monkeyfoolry (which continues unabated in spite of the smack-down it recieved): the sagging foundation of ID is being showcased. I think that they will find it not so easy to come back the next time 'round.

And I think KS will get straight as soon as they hold another election.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  12:37:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
YES!! A glimmer of light in an ever darkening world.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  06:51:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message
It's over, folks. And the best part is that the Religious Right can't claim (though I am sure that they will) that it's the courts legislating dogma--this time, the people spoke...

From: http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/local/13130383.htm

Posted on Thu, Nov. 10, 2005

It's a revolution for evolution

Voters oust backers of intelligent design.

By Amy Worden

Inquirer Staff Writer

DOVER, Pa. - Intelligent design will soon be history in Dover Area High School science classes, following an election that is reverberating around the country.

Voters on Tuesday ousted eight of the nine members of the school board, currently defendants in the first lawsuit over the teaching of intelligent design in public schools. Replacing them is a bipartisan slate of "pro-evolution" candidates who say intelligent design, with its biblical leanings, has no place in the high school biology curriculum.

The victory for Darwin's theory, the undisputed foundation of modern biology, in the York County school district came on the same day the Kansas State Board of Education approved public school science standards that cast doubt on the theory of evolution.

"The Dover election is a real shot across the bow to school boards anticipating passing these policies," said Eugenie Scott, executive director of the National Center for Science Education, a group dedicated to defending evolution.

Tuesday's results stunned the opposition candidates - one of whom is a plaintiff in Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School Board - and their supporters, who were hoping to capture a majority of the board but never expected a clean sweep.

"The people have spoken," said newly elected board member Rob McIlvaine, a Philadelphia native who moved to Dover 25 years ago. "Obviously they took issue with the way the intelligent design curriculum effort was conducted."

McIlvaine said the new board members plan to wait until U.S. District Judge John E. Jones 3d issues his ruling before taking action on the science curriculum policy.

Barrie Callahan, a plaintiff in the lawsuit and former school board member, called the vote "a huge turning point" for a community bitterly divided over the board's decision and the subsequent lawsuit.

The combination of anger over the controversy and "spotlight fatigue" was evident on Dover's town square yesterday, as residents hustled by to avoid a reporter's questions while muttering variations of "I don't want to talk about that."

Several residents said they did not vote because they did not like any of the candidates. One new resident said he didn't have time to register.

"I would have supported the existing board," said Nathan Walker, pastor at Harmony Grove Community Church. "I'm not for getting rid of evolution teaching, but I'm for giving students an opportunity to choose."

"I don't think the attitude of including intelligent design was right. It's not part of science education, and it was poorly handled," said Charles Reed, 59. He added with a twinkle: "They underestimated the intelligence of voters."

But one defeated board member blamed the media for creating the perception that the new policy was a "religious issue" and for dividing the community.

"Four years ago, people were polarized over the school building project; now they are polarized over intelligent design and voted in the liberal school board," said Jim Cashman, who is challenging the vote count because he contends a machine malfunctioned. "People think it's a religious issue, but it's not."

Under the policy approved last year, students are read a statement introducing the concept of intelligent design, which holds that the universe is so complex it must have been the result of an intelligent agent. Eleven parents filed suit over what they said was the introduction of Bible-based creationism into the classroom in violation of the constitutional separation of church and state.

The six-week federal trial, focusing on whether the board had religious intent when it approved the policy, ended Friday.

When board members take their seats on Dec. 5, it is unlikely that Jones will have issued his ruling. He said at the time that he hoped to rule before the end of the year, but added his ruling could come in early January.

Eric Rothschild, a lawyer with Pepper Hamilton in Philadelphia, which is part of the legal team representing the plaintiffs, said he saw no immediate legal ramifications for the new board, which will include plaintiff Bryan Rehm.

Two incumbent board members who pushed for the science policy and were also witnesses in the trial got fewer votes than the other candidates. Some attribute the poor showing to contradictory statements made by Alan Bonsell and Sheila Harkins during the trial.

"I think people may have changed their minds as a result," said Susan Kise, 74, a volunteer for the slate of winning candidates.

"Now we can begin the healing for the community."

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  16:40:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Well, it looks like Pat Robertson has weighed in on the situaton. Basically, the fine God-fearing residents of the Dover, PA area should fuck off for their vote:
quote:
"I'd like to say to the good citizens of Dover: If there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God. You just rejected him from your city," Robertson said on the Christian Broadcasting Network's 700 Club.
What a loving god those Christians have!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.