Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  17:34:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
GeeMack, that is precisely how I'd pictured you, height guage and all. It's uncanny.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  18:51:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack
I'll also need more evidence to believe the black and white duplex photo presented above is the real deal, mainly for the hair part discrepancy I mentioned. I've been working with Photoshop and other photo manipulation software for years, and although that composite looks pretty good, I'm not yet convinced. Faking it wouldn't be beyond the ability of any reasonably competent computer imaging technician.
The B&W one looks very fake to me. The radial blend in the background is definitely a Photoshop effect. Forget the hair part, it just looks off. Something about the way his hand is holding the sign.

I'm guessing someone did it as a joke, much like this one.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/22/2005 18:59:17
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  18:59:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
H., I see that "radial blend" on my wife's computer with its 256-color graphics (for the kid's games), but on my machine (in 32-bit color) it's not there at all.

Now that you mention his hand, however, it's obvious that his thumb and forefinger are off the top of the sign. I've held thing in my hand without using my thumb and forefinger, but I doubt it would look like I was trying to use those two digits (as it does in that photo).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  19:39:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

H., I see that "radial blend" on my wife's computer with its 256-color graphics (for the kid's games), but on my machine (in 32-bit color) it's not there at all.
Even without the banding, it's still a PS effect. (I'm assuming you mean the banding, right? Or are you saying the background is actually monochromatic?) What natural light source produces a shadow like that? If it were a booking station, the lights would be over his head, or at the very least shining into his face. These photos have dark shadows in the top corners that gradually get lighter as you move away from that point in all directions. That would mean light source(s) would have to be on the floor, which doesn't match the shadow under his chin. At the very least, the backgrounds have to be digitially altered.

quote:
Now that you mention his hand, however, it's obvious that his thumb and forefinger are off the top of the sign. I've held thing in my hand without using my thumb and forefinger, but I doubt it would look like I was trying to use those two digits (as it does in that photo).

Yeah, who doesn't use their index finger when grasping things? I don't know, the whole thing just looks off to me.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/22/2005 20:05:15
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  20:34:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Actually, H., those background effects are often sought (using lots of different lights) in professional portraits. My current hypothesis is that these are two different professional photos taken at two different times (as well as the different part in the hair, note the thing hanging from the lapel pin in the right-hand photo which is missing from the left). Perhaps the only parts done with PhotoShop are the hand and sign (the sign seems to be perfectly horizontal, what a steady hand DeLay must have!), and the merging of the two pictures. Perhaps turning them grayscale, too.

Of course, Google is not being my friend right now and dishing up the corroborating evidence easily.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  21:02:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
Okay, Tom DeLay turned himself in at Harris County, Texas. The questionable mug shot shown previously in this thread shows Travis County, Texas on the sign. That would be incorrect. Travis County is where the charges against DeLay were filed by prosecutor, Ronnie Earle.

By the way, these aren't the only fake mug shots of The Hammer. In fact there's an entire web site already up and running under the name of Fake DeLay Mugshot. Go see. It's bound to get bigger fast.
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  21:24:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
That and if you look at the hand, the elbow would have to be about halfway across the body to hold that sign. It doesn't match with the rest of the image. I've used PS also, it's difficult to put together the composits so they look real.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  21:29:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack
By the way, these aren't the only fake mug shots of The Hammer. In fact there's an entire web site already up and running under the name of Fake DeLay Mugshot. Go see. It's bound to get bigger fast.

Nice find, G-man.

I can see now what you're saying about the background looking smooth, Dave, but I have to strongly disagree with you on your assessment of it. That's a fake fill if I ever saw one. No doubt about it. You can even see the distortion line running all the way around DeLay where they cut him out and pasted in the new background. Perhaps I just have an eye for this type of thing. I was using Photoshop nearly every day at my old job. You work with something that often and you can just sort of spot it.

Here's one I did in about 5 minutes just to give you an idea.

Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/22/2005 21:56:18
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  22:15:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
A bit of a gaussian blur on the edges would soften that enough that you really would have to look, unless you know what you're looking for.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  22:17:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Trish

A bit of a gaussian blur on the edges would soften that enough that you really would have to look, unless you know what you're looking for.

Yeah, and it would have helped if I had a higher resolution photo.

Just squint your eyes for this little experiment.

Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/22/2005 22:17:55
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2005 :  00:27:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Just came off a search and found nothing except the smirking photo that, unless they do things a lot differently in TX, looks as phony as you can get.

Agree that the b & w shot is probably shopped and Bartcop got taken in (and pretty much myself as well, but in my defense, I know nothing of photo-shopping).

Now it seems that DeLay's lawyers are trying to get a new judge due to the current one having donated to the <gasp> Democrats. There is so much wriggling around -- attacking the prosecuter and now the judge -- that I wonder if DeLay actually has a genuine defense.

Curiouser and curiouser, and getting to be fun to watch.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2005 :  04:57:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
From a local Austin Statesman columnist....

"Tom and Saddam, two peas in a possibly criminal pod"
http://www.statesman.com/metrostate/content/metro/stories/10/23kelso.html

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2005 :  11:13:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:
Originally posted by Trish

Yeah, and it would have helped if I had a higher resolution photo.

Just squint your eyes for this little experiment.

Eh, just compress it to a jpeg again, once the lossy information is there, you'd almost never know. Better than a gradient background, find a pick of some moron who's been arrested, cut out said moron, insert bigger moron. Hmm, make sure shodows all match, or create your own shadows. Should take a good 10-15 hours to make a pick that is fairly indistinguishable from reality. Just have to have everything distorted enough that it looks real. I really need to get my hands on PhotoShop again.

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  00:22:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

...I wonder if DeLay actually has a genuine defense.

Delay's 2 defenses, he had nothing to do with the decision making and the financial manipulations did not technically break the law.

There have been rumors there is evidence Delay gave the Rep Party a list of the Texas candidates who were specifically to get the laundered money.

He may be in for a big surprise when all the posturing he's doing now is to no avail. But it is pretty disgusting to hear them manipulate the facts over and over. Instead of gerrymandering the Texas legislature, Delay claims he was just correcting the gerrymandering of the Democrats from the past. If that were the case then the districts should look pretty normal. If not the districts will look very contorted.

Let me check on that.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  00:39:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Instead of gerrymandering the Texas legislature, Delay claims he was just correcting the gerrymandering of the Democrats from the past. If that were the case then the districts should look pretty normal. If not the districts will look very contorted.

Let me check on that.

I can't make heads nor tails of it at this hour. This site looks to be Republican sponsored so I have no clue if the facts are legit. And I can't tell which are the old districts and which are the changed ones.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 10/24/2005 00:39:48
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.