Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  05:24:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  09:23:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack

quote:
Originally posted by filthy...

Well, we've all seen the 'mugshot' photo of DeLay that is alledged to have been taken when he was booked; the one, you know, the publicity shot where he's grinning like the grill on a '53 Buick. Here's one reputed to be the real deal:
I'd be skeptical of this black and white mug shot photo. There seems to be a discrepancy with regards to where his hair is parted. Notice the 3/4 view with the part on the right side. In the front view it appears to be parted on the left. I've checked some other photos of DeLay and his hair is generally parted on the left. I would suspect a mirror image in the supposed mug shot, except that the little lapel pin he is wearing is still on the left side. A realistic looking fake mug shot could be created in Photoshop. I'd like to see if this photo turns up through any other reliable sources.

There's something about the sign that seems a little funky with it's lighting. Just can't put my finger on it.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

vrwc

47 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  22:11:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send vrwc a Private Message
filthy, valiant dancer

I invite you guys to read the indictment. There's nothing specific alleged. This is a phoney indictment and Earle had to grand jury shop to get it. Fantasize, gentlemen,but be prepared for the
letdown.I wish I could arrange a bet. I'd give you 5 to 1.vrwc
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  02:53:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Looks pretty solid to me, but of course, I am not a lawyer.

Only knowing what I've read -- Democrat giggling and Republican whining mostly -- I can't comment on the so-called jury-shopping, if such it was, or the reasons for it. If the evidence presented is good, what it does matter which jury brought down the indictment?

I read somewhere the other day, it might have been on Raw Story or AmericaBlog, that DeLay almost copped a plea to a misdomeaner, if I've spelled that right.

The Rude Pundit has had a few pithy remarks on the matter:
quote:
3/11/2005
If Tom DeLay Were Your Dog . . .:
If Tom DeLay were your dog, you'd've put that fucker down a long, long time ago. When your old dog gets so lousy with disease, stinking of open sores, shaking when it walks, crazed with dementia, snapping at children, strangers, even you sometimes, shitting in its bed more than it shits outside, then you really have no choice but to load that dog into the family car and take the long ride to the vet. Sure, sure, it's understandable that you and the family would wanna cling to your dog as long as possible, no matter how disgusting and vile and flea-ridden it's become, no matter how much it befouls the carpets, and it's because you remember your dog in its prime, so loving, giving, obeying its masters, gladly licking its own ass.

But when you know when it's time, it's time, and that sometimes it's best for everyone, including the dog, to put it out of its misery.

Yeah, if Tom DeLay were a dog, it'd be easy. You'd say, "Here, Tom, here, Tom," and hug him and promise him treats to get in the car, and it'd be so sweet, because Tom DeLay would lick you, thinking you were taking him to meet with more cash-stuffed corporate lobbyists. Instead, of course, you'd take Tom DeLay to the kind, gentle veterinarian and the caring nurses, and surely you'd shed a tear as Tom DeLay was put to sleep, going to that big K Street in the sky where there's endless Lockheed-sponsored fire hydrants to piss on. You'd be sad, but at the same time, there's the sweet relief in knowing that Tom DeLay will no longer make you have to send the rugs out to be cleaned every week.

If Tom DeLay were a dog, this would have been a long, long time coming. You'd have tried everything you could. Early on, when Tom DeLay was shredding the cushions and gnawing the moulding in your house, you thought if you had him neutered it would calm him down. You thought if you took him to training it might work. Hell, you even tried a choke chain. But some dogs don't give a damn about neutering, training, electric shock, nothing. Some dogs are just naturally vicious to anyone who crosses them, who doesn't provide them with treats and water bowls and bones, all those wonderful gristly bones, to gnaw on and then bury. The worse thing about dogs like Tom DeLay is gradually everyone moves from love to fear, his unpredictability forcing others to stay out of his way. No one wants a sick, violent, near-rabid dog looking in his or her direction.

If you have the time and curiosity, open the page and check his links and references.

However it all sugars off, I don't think DeLay will ever again wield the power he once had. Nobody's afraid of him any more.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 11/14/2005 03:03:50
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  01:46:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
CNN:DeLay conspiracy charge tossed out
Judge upholds more serious money-laundering allegations
quote:
In asking that the case be thrown out, DeLay lawyer Dick DeGuerin argued that one of the charges -- conspiracy to violate the Texas election code -- did not even take effect until September 2003, a year after the alleged offenses occurred.

Prosecutors, however, said the crime of conspiracy was already on the books and could be applied to the election code even though such uses were not explicitly in state law at the time.

The judge was not persuaded by that argument, and dismissed the conspiracy charge.
Sounds reasonable...
quote:
The defense attorneys also argued that the definition of money laundering in Texas involves the transfer of criminal proceeds. Because the money in this case was not illegal to begin with, they argued, money laundering never occurred.

But the judge rejected that argument, saying the money became suspect when "it began to be held with the prohibited intent."

He said if prosecutors can prove that DeLay and his associates obtained the corporate donations "with the express intent of converting those funds to the use of individual candidates," or that they converted money legally collected by sending it to the Republican National Committee and asking for the same amount to be sent back to Texas candidates, "then they will have established that money was laundered."

"The money would have become 'dirty money' at the point that it began to be held with the prohibited intent," Priest [Pat Priest, the judge] wrote.
Money laundering is punishable by five years to life. Conspiracy to commit money laundering carries two years.
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  17:03:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
These cases should provide much interesting reading as the foundations of the sand castles continue to wash away...
quote:
Abramoff Pleads Guilty to Fraud...

[Lobbyist Jack] Abramoff pleaded guilty to conspiracy, mail fraud and tax evasion before a federal judge in Washington. He also will plead guilty to conspiracy and wire fraud in a separate case in Miami on Wednesday, his lawyer there said.

The long-expected plea will give prosecutors valuable ammunition as they seek to prove that DeLay of Texas, Republican Rep. Bob Ney (news, bio, voting record) of Ohio and other top lawmakers gave Abramoff and his lobbying clients favorable treatment in return for campaign contributions, Super Bowl tickets and other gifts.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  14:27:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
And here comes the, "I only went on a fact finding trip to that Scottish golf resort and that resort on Saipan with my friend, Abramoff. I had no idea what else he was up to." Delay is so deep in the Abramoff dirt I bet he is getting pretty worried. Probably calling Bush for that pardon right now.

Hey, if George Tenet can get a Medal of freedom for his contributions to the country, and Brownie did a heck of a job.....
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  14:41:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
The slippery slope gets a little steeper....
quote:
DeLay will give up leadership post

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) - Embattled Rep. Tom DeLay decided today to give up his post as House majority leader, clearing the way for new leadership elections among House Republicans eager to shed the taint of scandal, two officials said.

These officials said DeLay, R-Texas, was preparing a letter informing fellow House Republicans of his decision. These officials spoke on condition of anonymity, saying they did not want to pre-empt the formal announcement.

DeLay is battling campaign finance charges in Texas and was forced to step aside temporarily as majority leader last fall after he was charged in his home state. He has consistently maintained his innocence and said he intended to resume his leadership post once cleared.

I had thought that he would put up more of a fight, especally now that some fellow Republicans are calling for an election. Must be that the Abramoff plea has something to do with the desision.

I'll put the popcorn on...

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  15:53:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Oh, these are good! Some of the emails.

And I learned of this web site on lobby activity tracked on CSPAN. It looks to be a very important site. Thank goodness for the good guys.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 01/07/2006 15:54:17
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  16:16:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Poor Tom Delay -- already suffering power withdrawl....

Well, boo fucking hoo!
(tip 'o the hat to Photoshop, and of course, Ronnie Earle)

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Edited by - Randy on 01/07/2006 16:18:09
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  04:20:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message

Delay up shit creek.
What goes around, comes around,
His foundered canoe.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.89 seconds.