Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

markie
Skeptic Friend

Canada
356 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  20:39:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send markie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.
Yeah, see, even you know "as fact" that animals are not descended from plants.
??? I should have just said 'algae' I suppose. Algae can assume pond scum or seaweed form, and is more plantlike than anything. So yes, I believe that animals came from these original 'plants'.

quote:
Unless you wish to argue that common descent is incorrect (with which your non-interfering deity would disagree), then you'll have to agree that amniotic animals (like man) couldn't be the descendants of creatures which didn't yet exist when the first amniotes did. Especially when the groups which were to become the Amniota and Amphibia had already significantly diverged from their forebears (and each other) by 320 mya.
The validity of your reasoning rests on at least two assumptions:

1)frogs did not exist prior to the earliest fossils we have found of them;
2)the (apparently first) amniotes successfully evolved into man.

Personally I find those assumptions questionable.

quote:
Either the programming can be "compromised" or it can't. Which is it? Again, make up your mind.
I've never said that the programming can't be compromised. It's not an all or nothing thing. The genome can take alot of abuse and still funtion adequately, although not optimally.

Go to Top of Page

markie
Skeptic Friend

Canada
356 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  21:05:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send markie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack So you have a reference, a single reference, written by "higher beings". You refuse to name it, and you even hold at least parts of it in fairly low regard. You qualify that reference by claiming a couple of fiction authors derived ideas from it. You provide no more than hearsay supporting evidence for any of your outlandish claims. You attempt finding fault with bits and pieces of the commonly accepted theory of evolution and/or what others here are saying, but so far are achieving no success at that because you're just guessing, fabricating, drawing upon your delusion, or using your obviously poorly supported single reference. I'm with moakley, you're either trolling or you're just plain full of shit, or maybe both. There is more than a little supporting evidence of that.
GeeMack, I can assure you that I am sincere. I sincerely believe that life was intelligently planted here, and I don't believe any evidence contradicts that. You can call me "full of shit" or "deluded" but I prefer simply "mistaken".

I don't like the animosity I appear to be generating here, so I think I shall take a break. Thanks for listening.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  21:40:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by markie...

GeeMack, I can assure you that I am sincere. I sincerely believe that life was intelligently planted here, and I don't believe any evidence contradicts that. You can call me "full of shit" or "deluded" but I prefer simply "mistaken".

I don't like the animosity I appear to be generating here, so I think I shall take a break. Thanks for listening.
You can try all you like, markie, to redefine terms so they're more comfortable for you. Although you may be sincere, sincerity doesn't preclude being delusional. By definition your sincerity supports the notion that you are deluded.
de·lu·sion n. A false belief that is firmly maintained in spite of incontrovertible and obvious proof or evidence to the contrary and in spite of the fact that other members of the culture do not share the belief.
I don't think there's really any animosity involved, but it is becoming more difficult to have much respect for you. Everyone continues to ask you to support your "theory" with more than double talk and simple claims that your belief is your proof, and you continue to refuse to do so.

You just don't understand the scientific process. You don't understand the contemporary theory of evolution and the mountains of evidence that support it. The fact that nearly all the others involved in this discussion recognize your lack of understanding, and are willing to say so, is not an indication of animosity. It's an indication that you continue to demonstrate that you don't know what you're talking about. Just take the criticism as it's intended.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  21:47:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by markie

??? I should have just said 'algae' I suppose. Algae can assume pond scum or seaweed form, and is more plantlike than anything. So yes, I believe that animals came from these original 'plants'.
And now you put 'plants' in quotes, suggesting that you understand that the algae, while eukaryotes, are not necessarily plants. And this in response to the argument that humans didn't descend from seaweed!

Forcryinoutloud, markie: you want to dismiss the descent of humans from non-frogs as "questionable," but when going back even farther in time, you feel as though you've got a good idea of what kind of eukaryote humans are born of? Is it any wonder that you're encountering "hostility" when you display such hypocrisy?
quote:
The validity of your reasoning rests on at least two assumptions:

1)frogs did not exist prior to the earliest fossils we have found of them;
No, my reasoning rests on the idea that we've got a good-enough fossil record to show frogs evolving well after the "frogamander," and thus after the split between modern amphibians and modern amniotes. Your "pathway" requires frogs to have existed for over 100 million years without leaving a single fossil. A hundred million years.
quote:
2)the (apparently first) amniotes successfully evolved into man.
Given that all mammals (and all birds, all reptiles, and all dinosaurs) are amniotes, then it follows that some prehistoric amniote successfully evolved into man. Unless you want to argue for multiple evolutions of amniotic creatures (which would involve more unevidenced assumptions), you're stuck with what the fossil record shows.
quote:
Personally I find those assumptions questionable.
And if you don't like the answers, then what? Continued disbelief in the face of evidence and logic suggests unreasonable adherence to a pre-ordained conclusion.
quote:
I've never said that the programming can't be compromised.
You made precisely that argument when you blithely dismissed my statements about how a gene with mutlple functions (one selectable, one not) would be affected by mutation.
quote:
It's not an all or nothing thing. The genome can take alot of abuse and still funtion adequately, although not optimally.
Yeah, that's just an example of moving the goalposts, markie. That also generates hostility, since it's a dishonest form of argumentation.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  03:19:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Filthy, I've seen studies which suggest different things. One is that frogs and salamanders don't have a common amphibian ancestor, but rather came from different fish. Regarding the morphology of salamanders being more suggestive of reptiles, that may be so, but I think it is still far from conclusive, especially seeing that morphology does not always correspond well to phylogenetics. Genetically, are some frogs closer to certain reptiles/mammals than are the closest salamanders? I suspect so but I can't find any studies bearing this out one way or the other.

Looking at the above pic, we readily see that Kermit has no ribs. Further, while it doesn't show up well here, his spine has no vertebrae as such. Rather, it is a sort of a plate hinmged at the neck and hips. Frogs and toads are the only tetrapods on the planet to have such an odd arraingment; an arraingement that works quite well for what they do.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Espritch
Skeptic Friend

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  12:32:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Espritch's Homepage Send Espritch a Private Message
quote:
Looking at the above pic, we readily see that Kermit has no ribs. Further, while it doesn't show up well here, his spine has no vertebrae as such. Rather, it is a sort of a plate hinmged at the neck and hips.

Well I've learned something new. I always assumed frogs had spines and ribs just like most other tetrapods.
Edited by - Espritch on 10/30/2005 12:34:41
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  14:03:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

Mark, if you don't like what GeeMack and Moakley calls you, just ignore them.

Show that you can be more constructive than them, and address my post about the phylogenic tree of cytochrome-c instead.
And give Dave_W some extra consideration: his ability to strip arguments to the core is uncanny, and his logic can give Mr. Spock a good run for his money.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  14:48:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
HH and moakley, the source is a book authored about sixty years ago, purportedly by a variety of higher beings. But it is mostly religious in nature and I really don't want to bring it up in this venue. I just wanted to let you guys know I am not making this stuff up out of thin air (although I do take liberties on occassion. ;)) Hey, Gene Rodenbury (Star Trek) and Herbert (of Dune fame) derived ideas from it. The book has inspired and helped me immensely, although I find problems with parts of it.
You wouldn't be referring to the Urantia Book by any chance, would you?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  14:49:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I'd just like to add that frogs branched out on their own, rather like an amphibian Neandertal, and are not in the reptile's ancestory. To find the common ancestor, we have to look farther back. If indeed different fish were the ancestors of both, then we need to look farther yet.

Unfortunatly, these lightly-built animals don't fossilize easily, even though they commonly live in places of ideal conditions, due to being so delicate -- not to mention tasty to any predator or scavenger that comes along and finds the corpse. I'm sure there are a few fossils of the intermedates, somewhere. It's a matter fo finding them. Due to the huge skeletal differences, they would be most interesting.

Maybe I'll look it up and see exactly what has been found.

quote:
Mark, if you don't like what GeeMack and Moakley calls you, just ignore them.

Show that you can be more constructive than them, and address my post about the phylogenic tree of cytochrome-c instead.
And give Dave_W some extra consideration: his ability to strip arguments to the core is uncanny, and his logic can give Mr. Spock a good run for his money.

Agree....

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  18:11:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
HH- I wondered what the book was myself, not to "scientifically scrutinize" it, but whether it might have a few neat ideas in it, and be an interesting read.

Markie- No nastiness implied with "name-calling" I'm certain, and as for my (seeming) sarcasm, it's purely joking. I like your posts on science, questionable and otherwise... good creativity, and makes SFN more interesting and entertaining. Point was you're being too hypercritical with DaveW's posts to have the debate remain constructive... must give credit where credit is (over)due... you were starting to remind me more of a lawyer arguing a case, rather than a person attempting to scientifically examine something. Looked like DaveW was chasing you down, and you started throwing refrigerators out the back of the van to slowem' down.

You know you have a "hostile jury" (joke) here for Creationist posts, and with mainstream science mostly on the other side, you're playing with a queen and both rooks gone. You argue better than I ever could with that kind of material disadvantage.

DrM- Thanks for the excellent cytochrome post, which was very interesting to a "non-bio" person. It's amazing the way more evidence keeps coming in and corroborating ToE as science progresses.

Ron White
Edited by - ronnywhite on 10/30/2005 20:57:49
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  18:54:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
After a quick look-around, I found this:
quote:
Evolution of Australian Frogs
Amphibia are thought to have evolved from bony fish of the Class Osteichthyes which was widespread during the period that Amphibia emerged. There is however, substantial debate over what type of bony fish was the amphibian pre-cursor. Some suggest the lung-fish which has modern representatives in only 3 countries, including Queensland in Australia. Other suggestions are that the Actinopterygii were the forerunners to modern amphibia. There will always be contention over this matter and we will probably never know otherwise.
But amphibians made their first appearance at the end of the Devonian period about 345 million years ago. Primitive amphibians were creatures called Labyrinthodonts (many specimens have been dug up in Sydney) and were long bodied, short limbed animals resembling crocodiles with fins on their tail. They were up to 4 m in length. The earliest known frog-like fossil is Triadobatrachus, from Madagascar. The skull is frog-like being broad with large eye sockets, but the fossil has a number of other features differing to modern amphibia. These include a different ilium, a longer body with more vertebrae, the lack of a urostyle and vertebrae in its tail. It is now viewed as pre-anuran, and the transitional stock from which modern frogs evolved.

Here is the possible common ancestor, although I haven't found anything that indicates species.

A new one, if that term can be used, has been recently found in China:
quote:
Chinese scientists announced that they have discovered the earliest frog fossils in Asia, whichthey believe would solve the riddles in life evolution.

ĦĦĦĦ"Hundreds of Cretaceous amphibian fossils have been unearthed from a famous dinosaur fossil beds at Sihetun in western part of Liaoning province since 2000," said Wang Yuan, expert from the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), "among them there is a rare fossilized frog dating back to 125 million years ago."

ĦĦĦĦThe well-preserved specimen was then named "Sanyanlichan", documenting the earliest and sole definite discoglossid fossil in Asia, and the second fully articulated specimen of Mesozoic age known for the group, according to Wang.

ĦĦĦĦWang, associate research fellow in the Institute of Vertebrate Paleontology and Paleoanthropology in CAS, said that the specimen's most prominent character is the nine presacral vertebrates, one more than any extant frogs, indicating the early devolvement of frogs.

China is rapidly becoming the world greatest treasure trove of fossils of many sorts.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  20:50:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
[quote]Originally posted by filthy

After a quick look-around, I found...

Interesting, wonder how probable link. BTW good frog-anatomy lesson in earlier post.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

markie
Skeptic Friend

Canada
356 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  21:50:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send markie a Private Message
OK, I think I'll punish myself some more. ;)

Dr. M, I'm not clear on what the cytochrome C analysis you posted is supposed to indicate, but it certainly is interesting.

Dave W wrote, "Unless you want to argue for multiple evolutions of amniotic creatures". Of course I see this as quite possible given my premise. I don't think the fossil or phylogenetic evidence is clear one way or the other.

HH wrote, "You wouldn't be referring to the Urantia Book by any chance, would you?" Bingo, good detective work. It can be read online in many places. A look at the table of contents will either give you goosebumps or a good laugh.

Filthy, nice frog skeleton. That is a modern frog of course. There are the so-called tailed frogs and another group (which I forget) which are more primitive and have more vertebrae as well as having ribs. Interestingly the "tail" of these frogs is used more like a penis, fertilizing the eggs within the female, instead of the more 'modern' frog method. Anyways, the point is that the first frogs may have displayed far less of the unique features characterizing most modern frogs, and hence a possible contender for an early branching to a kind of reptilian.

Ron, you're cool.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  03:13:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Filthy, nice frog skeleton. That is a modern frog of course. There are the so-called tailed frogs and another group (which I forget) which are more primitive and have more vertebrae as well as having ribs. Interestingly the "tail" of these frogs is used more like a penis, fertilizing the eggs within the female, instead of the more 'modern' frog method. Anyways, the point is that the first frogs may have displayed far less of the unique features characterizing most modern frogs, and hence a possible contender for an early branching to a kind of reptilian.

Erm, I'd like to see a reference on that...

Of course the frog ancestors had working vertebra and ribs. The 'first' frogs looked and acted only slightly different from their fellow amphibians, if at all. But evolution works on the principal of, "Use it or lose it." This can be easily observed in some blind cave creatures that still have eye remenants, notably species of fish. Our very own coxysis (have I spelled that right?) is another example.

Actually, the vertebrae are still there, but fused so tightly that they are hard to distinguish. The ribs went AWOL many millions of years ago.

When you start talking Frog, you are getting into the Twilight Zone. From their skeletons to their breeding habits, to their feeding methods, these guys wrote a major chapter in the Book of Weird. The wholly aquatic Surinam toad, for example, plants it's eggs directly on the spongy skin on the females back. There they soon sink into pockets where the larvae develope and emerge, not as tadpoles, but minitures of their parents. And that ain't all; it locates it's prey with a lateral line like a fish as well as very sensitive, 'fringed' fingertips. It has no tongue and must cram it's meals (along with a quanity of debris which is later regurgatated) down it's cavernous gullet with it's forelegs.

Another actually raises it's tadpoles in it's stomach, which is where the internal fertilazation idea came from. To the best of my knowledge, all amphibians fertalize externally.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  04:33:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I stand corrected.

I can't get the damned link to work, but here's somerthing on the tailed frog:

quote:
In 2000, the Tailed Frog was split into two species. The coastal species is Ascaphus truei, and is called the Coastal Tailed Frog. The Kootenay species is now called Ascaphus montanus, the Rocky Mountain Tailed Frog.

At a Glance

The Tailed Frog is a remarkable little frog, unique to B.C. in Canada. It is a small frog, 2.5 to 3 centimetres from nose to rump. Adults are usually tan or brown in colour although some may be shaded green or red, or even entirely black. The skin has a rather grainy appearance. Tailed Frogs have vertical pupils, no external tympanum (the round "ear" visible on other frogs), and are voiceless. The toes on the hind feet are flat and wide, especially the outer toes, and these can be used to distinguish Tailed Frogs from other frogs and toads.

The most remarkable feature of Tailed Frogs is the "tail" which gives the species its common name. The "tail," which only males have, is actually a copulatory organ used to fertilize the eggs of the female internally. While newly metamorphosed frogs of other species may have a remnant tail for a few days, it is a different colour from the body, while the "tail" of the Tailed Frog is the same colour and texture as the frog's back.

Unlike most frog species, the tadpoles of Tailed Frogs are easily identifiable, having a very large sucker-like mouth. Hatchlings are almost transparent, while older tadpoles are dark mottled brown or black, often with a white spot on the tip of the tail. Tailed Frog tadpoles are found clinging to stones in streambeds.

And a little on the gastric brooding frog, an animal that I didn't know was thought to be extinct.
quote:
Reproduction: It is assumed fertilised eggs or embryonic tadpoles are swallowed by the female, the tadpoles completing their development in her stomach. The fully formed metamorphs are later regurgitated from the female's mouth. Females give birth in January to February (Winter and McDonald 1986). In the only documented case, 22 metamorphs were brooded by one female (McDonald and Tyler 1984). The morphological and physiological changes which female R. vitellinus undergo differ from the only other gastric brooding frog, R. silus (Leong et al. 1988).

All of which reenforces the point that evolution promotes variation in according to enviornment. Sometimes the solution can be a little far out of the norm, and even not necessarly the best solution.

Anyone who does not love frogs has no soul.

Edited to add: Just caught this; in the previous post, where it states "all amphibians," it should state, "all frogs."

Not important 'cause it's wrong, anyway.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 10/31/2005 05:34:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds.