New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kilik
BANNED

110 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  20:49:12  Show Profile Send Kilik a Private Message
[Forum spam from over here deleted.

Kilik, see this seven-month-old post and remember you've been warned before.
]

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  13:21:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Your point is?

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  18:00:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I think he's trying to warn us that dude A is going to be crushed by rock F.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Kilik
BANNED

110 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  23:56:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Kilik a Private Message
http://heritage.chn.ir/en/news/?id=5351

quote:

Tehran - July 13, 2005 (CHN)—Finding ancient tiles that bear mark of swastika shocked the archeologists who were excavating in Tappeh Sabz site in Arjan, south of Iran. The tiles are dated back to the 3rd and 4th millennium B.C.

Arjan, an Elamite town, is located in Khuzestan province, 10 kilometers north of Behbahan. In this archeological site which is expanded over a plot of land of several hectares, archaeologists has managed to unearth numerous artifacts belong to millenniums before Christ.

“Agricultural practices in the site threats the ancient artifacts, so we started to study the site to rescue it. But meanwhile, we encountered some ancient tiles that bear icons of swastika” indicated Mahnaz Sharifi, the head of excavation team.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  08:34:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Why were the archeologists shocked by the swastikas?
Why is it surprising that some of them were dated 3000 years BC?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  08:41:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
The archeologists were shocked, Mab, because they incorrectly thought the swastika was of recent invention. But it's been known for decades that it's been used for thousands of years by numerous peoples. It's a simple symbol. Now, if someone were to find something as complex as this on both sides of the Atlantic dating back 5,000 years, then I'd sit up and take notice.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

pcgeller

2 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  04:45:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pcgeller's Homepage Send pcgeller a Private Message
the hindu symbol is often incorrectly identified as a swaztika. on the traditional hindu simple the arms face the opposite direction as those on a nazi flag

http://www.theivorytree.com - thoughts, ideas, theories, FREETHINKING!
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  07:54:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pcgeller

the hindu symbol is often incorrectly identified as a swaztika. on the traditional hindu simple the arms face the opposite direction as those on a nazi flag

And the Nazi swastika is a reversal of a Jewish mercantile mark. It's not unique to a particular society.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  08:30:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I'm a bit fuzzy on the etymology here...
Is swastika only used to refer to the Nazi-German use of the symbol, or more?
Never mind, I looked it up in Wikipedia:

quote:
The word swastika is derived from the Sanskrit #2360;#2381;#2357;#2360;#2381;#2340;#2367;#2325;, svastika, meaning any lucky or auspicious object, and in particular a mark made on persons and things to denote good luck. It is composed of su- (cognate with Greek #949;#965;-), meaning "good, well" and asti a verbal abstract to the root as "to be"; svasti thus means "well-being". The suffix -ka forms a diminutive, and svastika might thus be translated literally as "little thing associated with well-being", corresponding roughly to "lucky charm", or "thing that is auspicious".[2] The suffix -tika also literally means mark; therefore a sometimes alternate name for swastika in India is shubhtika (literally good mark). The word first appears in the Classical Sanskrit (in the Ramayana and Mahabharata epics).

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kilik
BANNED

110 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  00:18:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Kilik a Private Message
Some articles about practitioners who knew the Hopi prophecies now practice in Falun Dafa.
http://www.pureinsight.org/pi/articles/2002/4/29/1088.html
http://pureinsight.org/pi/articles/2002/11/4/1192.html

another article attached at the bottom
http://pureinsight.org/pi/articles/2002/10/7/1142.html

And they are not the only ones who have met with the Hopi
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  01:42:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
DaveW- "It's a simple symbol."

We've found triangles, circles circumscribed with various geometric forms, crosses of all types etc. etc. through much of Man's history of symbolisms... I don't find it any more surprising they found that "here-and-there" than an "E" shape or whatever. If the Nazis had coincidentally used an isocoles triangle as their symbol, I'd find that no more-or-less significant or interesting, although I'm sure spirituality fans would see things otherwise.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  05:27:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Hey Kilik I am going to go out on a limb here, but I would say that just about everyone here thinks the links you post are childish drivel. I looked at the first thousand or so links and they were all, well... just pretty stupid. I would rather pull out one of my own teeth than go to one more of your links. But hey, thats just me.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  09:43:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

Hey Kilik I am going to go out on a limb here, but I would say that just about everyone here thinks the links you post are childish drivel. I looked at the first thousand or so links and they were all, well... just pretty stupid. I would rather pull out one of my own teeth than go to one more of your links. But hey, thats just me.

That is how the administrators see it too. Kilik has a chance to support a hypothesis by stating what it is and then using links, if he wishes. He must engage in the debate, if there is one, by explaining the relevance of the links in his own words. He is allowed to post only one new thread a week until he demonstrates that he understands how this site works and is willing to follow our guidelines which includes a rule against spamming.

We can only warn a member so many times before further administrative action must be taken. We don't like to ban members. But we will if our warnings are ignored. And right now Kilik's welcome here is wearing thin…

It is important to note that we have never banned a member simply because we didn't agree with what that member is advocating. We have several members in good standing who many of us couldn't agree with less…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.