Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  06:23:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

quote:
Originally posted by Snake

As an example, in my own case. I would NEVER hurt an animal, there is only one kind of animal that I wouldn't miss, Man. I don't like people, but that's another story.

Exactly.

Ditto....

Makes sense to me, Snake, although dogs are rather low on my list of favorites.

The thing that many/most people don't understand is that dogs are animals whose ancestors lived in very close knit, family packs. Tbey still have the instincts of such an animal and thus, as they have subsituted their packs with us, require the attentions most of their owners, the compentent ones anyway, happily give them. If a dog is denied those attentions, you could wind up with one screwed-up pooch that barks all night just to hear the echo in it's head.

I dunno... Sometimes I think there should be a mandentory course to be passed before aquiring any pet. I usually think this when I get an abused animal in and have to repair the damage. Some times the only repair is euthanasa, and then I get downright evil.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  22:35:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Makes sense to me, Snake, although dogs are rather low on my list of favorites.

The thing that many/most people don't understand is that dogs are animals whose ancestors lived in very close knit, family packs. Tbey still have the instincts of such an animal and thus, as they have subsituted their packs with us, require the attentions most of their owners, the compentent ones anyway, happily give them. If a dog is denied those attentions, you could wind up with one screwed-up pooch that barks all night just to hear the echo in it's head.

I dunno... Sometimes I think there should be a mandentory course to be passed before aquiring any pet. I usually think this when I get an abused animal in and have to repair the damage. Some times the only repair is euthanasa, and then I get downright evil.

Thanks. Well, we all have our favorite creature. You know I love snakes very much too. But I always say, I don't care for cats all that much, perfer dogs but cats are far better than humans. Give me a cat any time over a human.
Lanie was so good, never made a sound. Guess I spent more time with her than I thought. Woody, although we pramper him, leave the radio on when we go somewhere that he can't, give him a treat when we leave, etc., etc., I still feel guilty for the reasons you stated. That he was taken away from him mother and pack. Made to live in a world of another animal and had to adapt to our ways and speak our language. (learned about that from a PBS show)
We (the people) have a great responsibility to protect them for doing that to them. Even though if they are lucky to live in a household who respects them, they are better off than having to fend out in the wild.
Talk about a dogs life. Wish I could live like Woody, never a care but to have fun chasing critters in the trees.
The city animal shelter has raised the price of getting an animal. Until now I thought they were making it tough for people who could give a good home to an animal but couldn't aford the fee. Now I'm thinking by charging a high amount they weed out those who would adopt on a whim and not be suitable. Wish there was a better way to match up people with good homes to animals who need them.
I can't deal with the tragedy of the abused and over population, can't talk or think about it. Much too emotional..........
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.