Light Blasts
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dodo

Turkey
5 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  01:51:33  Show Profile Send dodo a Private Message
yesterday night i woke up at 5 a.m. and when i just woke up i saw two white and one blue light flashing just in front of my eyes and there was a sound like a message delivered to phone when it was in silent mode; i mean the vibrating sound of the phone. i looked for something in the room for a thing that may produce such a thing but i am just ran out of ideas. i am trying to find a logical reason for that but i can not. the door was locked and the curtains were closed too. has anyone has a logical reason or ideas for that???

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  05:41:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dodo

yesterday night i woke up at 5 a.m. and when i just woke up i saw two white and one blue light flashing just in front of my eyes and there was a sound like a message delivered to phone when it was in silent mode; i mean the vibrating sound of the phone. i looked for something in the room for a thing that may produce such a thing but i am just ran out of ideas. i am trying to find a logical reason for that but i can not. the door was locked and the curtains were closed too. has anyone has a logical reason or ideas for that???

I don't know. But I have had experiences when just waking up, of a sort of unreality; perhaps a holdover from dreams. Not saying this is what happened to you, but it sounds kinda like it.

Welcome to SFN, dodo!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  06:36:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
You may have had a hypnogoggic hallucination (classified as a mild form of narcolepsy), which usually happen just as you wake or fall asleep. The mind awakens and the subconcious continues playing dream imagery which blends with your waking vision. Sometimes this is combined with sleep paralisis, which is the cause of soo many of the alien abduction stories you wouldnt believe.

This used to happen to me when I was younger and it terrified me untill I found out what was happening.

The visions I had included: daylight when it was night, familiar voices, pile of clothes looking like a person etc...I did try to get the lotto numbers once, no luck though.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 12/27/2005 06:38:09
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  07:24:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Things such as BPS suggested happen to everyone every now and then. I have this recurring dream where when I'm just about to fall asleep, I think I'm falling, and I wake up, but I still feel like I'm falling. So I reach over to put my hands down to cushion my fall, but I'm really lying flat on my bed.

When you say flashing, were they stationary? Did they flash more than once? Did they flash multiple times while moving? Or could you not tell?

For the vibrating, did you just hear it, or did you feel it?

And you don't happen to have a vibrating phone that has blue and white lights, do you?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 12/27/2005 07:25:54
Go to Top of Page

dodo

Turkey
5 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  07:34:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dodo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

Things such as BPS suggested happen to everyone every now and then. I have this recurring dream where when I'm just about to fall asleep, I think I'm falling, and I wake up, but I still feel like I'm falling. So I reach over to put my hands down to cushion my fall, but I'm really lying flat on my bed.

When you say flashing, were they stationary? Did they flash more than once? Did they flash multiple times while moving? Or could you not tell?

For the vibrating, did you just hear it, or did you feel it?

And you don't happen to have a vibrating phone that has blue and white lights, do you?

no they just flashed in order; white, white and blue and they were not moving and no i have no such a lighty phone and i just heard the vibrating sound of it, all of these happpened for just once
Edited by - dodo on 12/27/2005 07:45:53
Go to Top of Page

dodo

Turkey
5 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  07:37:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dodo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

You may have had a hypnogoggic hallucination (classified as a mild form of narcolepsy), which usually happen just as you wake or fall asleep. The mind awakens and the subconcious continues playing dream imagery which blends with your waking vision. Sometimes this is combined with sleep paralisis, which is the cause of soo many of the alien abduction stories you wouldnt believe.

This used to happen to me when I was younger and it terrified me untill I found out what was happening.

The visions I had included: daylight when it was night, familiar voices, pile of clothes looking like a person etc...I did try to get the lotto numbers once, no luck though.

as far as i know the subconcious plays dream imagery only in REM and REM lasts for 15 to 20 minutes after the falling into sleep am i wrong???
Edited by - dodo on 12/27/2005 08:14:34
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  07:52:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
hypnogoggic hallucination ... happened to me a couple of times. I "dreamed" that I was laying on the sofa, and could see what was happening, but couldn't move or talk.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  00:39:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
as far as i know the subconcious plays dream imagery only in REM and REM lasts for 15 to 20 minutes after the falling into sleep am i wrong???

You are partly right, in that REM sleep typically comes in short bursts. You usually go through a couple of REM cycles during a good night's sleep.

As has been said already, it sounds like you had a hypnogogic halucination. These happen on waking sometimes.

Is 5am near to your usual waking time? If it is within an hour or so of when you normally get up, then it is almost a sure bet that you experienced a partially lucid dream, or hypnogogic hallucination.

For anyone who has ever deliberately attempted to induce a state of lucid dreaming in themselves, one of the techniques you can use is to deliberately wake yourself 30 to 90 minutes earlier than usual, then immediately try to return to sleep by running through some basic meditation techniques while focusing your mind on attaining a lucid dreaming state. This is basically an exploitation of the hypnogogic hallucination that you can experience if you are awakened during or close to a REM cycle.

If you experience this unknowingly I guess it could be pretty frightening. Not knowing that you are actually dreaming, but seeing dream images.... could scare the crap out of you. Especially if it is accompanied by sleep paralysis.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  14:50:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

I've been taught that a sleep cycle is about 90 minutes long, and the REM state occurs at the end of the cycle. The cycle starts with light sleep, then quickly progress to deep sleep. Depending on which sleep-cycle you're in since you entered sleep, the deep-sleep periods gets shorter. After the deep-sleep, conciousness level rises to intermediate sleep for a while, then rise a bit more and enter REM.

If you're taking a nap, ther optimum time for the nap would be ~90min. If you only get 30 minutes because you set the alarm, you may be in the deep-sleep when waking up, and you'll feel more tired than when you started the nap.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  18:55:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
has anyone has a logical reason or ideas for that???

A brain tumor comes to mind. You might want to get a medical evaluation.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Espritch
Skeptic Friend

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  20:11:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Espritch's Homepage Send Espritch a Private Message
I once woke up late at night to find this bright light flashing on and off in my bed room and an odd buzzing noise. I was still half asleep and it seemed very strange. It took me a few moments to figure out that a fire fly had gotten into my room and got caught in a spider web.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  15:58:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I always see the BIG spider racing across my pillow when I wake up in one of those hallucination states. I jump up and look everywhere finally realizing it was a half awake half asleep dream.

I've also awakened to some noise that was incorporated into my dream but upon waking up found the noise real. One time I remember it was this weird scratching noise coming from the door to a building I was walking toward. When I woke up my dog was scratching to be let in the room. Another time it was a pirate movie on TV.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.