Here we go again.....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Starvoyergirl

8 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2001 :  12:44:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starvoyergirl a Private Message
The fact the mob succeeded is frightening.

Flying Monkeys

Go to Top of Page

Espritch
Skeptic Friend

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2001 :  19:33:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Espritch's Homepage Send Espritch a Private Message
No. What is really disturbing was that it wasn't even a mob. It was just a small number of wackos and one DJ. And they got their way anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2001 :  21:57:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
So its the "squeeky wheel" bit? Most of the folks I run around with are xian. We're planning to see the movie, except for one very strong belief. Stay with me here. We believe its foolish to stand in line for two freakin hours for a ticket, in the winter in SD. We'll wait until the lines go down a little. That's what we believe, and we'll stand by it.
As far as the cranky callers and the DJ, this has happened before. I think most people in this country, regardless of religious beliefs, feel the same way I do. If I think a movie will offend me, bore me, or I just won't like it, I don't go. Its called voting with your wallet.
Lisa

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
Go to Top of Page

Starvoyergirl

8 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  00:52:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starvoyergirl a Private Message
Well, let's not go overboard here.

If everyone waited for the line to go down, it would never go down.

So there must be a few nonconformists there, unless everyone there is still waiting of course.

Flying Monkeys

Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  01:40:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
No Star, I'm serious. How many kids started bothering their parents months ago about this movie? "If you don't take me I'll Diiiiieeee." My friends and I don't want to compete in that frenzy. Its a popular enough movie that it will still be in the theatres in 2 weeks. I can wait.
It'll have to go a long way to beat "Shrek", though.
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

Starvoyergirl

8 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  01:46:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starvoyergirl a Private Message
<< If everyone waited for the line to go down, it would never go down. >>

What does that mean? What did I just write? I think my brain went on vacation or something.

Of course, if everyone was waiting, there wouldn't be any line at all.

So there must be some nonconformists if there's a line there to begin with.

Yes, that's what I meant to say.

(sheesh)

Flying Monkeys
Go to Top of Page

Starvoyergirl

8 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  02:00:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starvoyergirl a Private Message
<< No Star, I'm serious. How many kids started bothering their parents months ago about this movie? "If you don't take me I'll Diiiiieeee." My friends and I don't want to compete in that frenzy. Its a popular enough movie that it will still be in the theatres in 2 weeks. I can wait.>>

That's not the point. The kids had parental consent to go. These kids couldn't go because of a frenzied group of idiots that succeeded in getting the school to call it off.

This is a mob getting its way and that is troublesome.

Flying Monkeys

Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  02:52:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Star, that's what's scary. It wasn't a mob. It was a few yammering fundies and a holier than thou DJ that made the decision for everyone. The fact that the theatre owner caved in is a little bit frightening.
Who will these assholes go for next? Hint: I have tattoos, don't believe in god, read Tokein, Sagan, Shermer, Pratcett, Adams, and I like motorcycles. Plane ticket, anyone? If these type of folks take over, I gotta get out of here!

Go to Top of Page

Starvoyergirl

8 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  14:12:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starvoyergirl a Private Message
I see it as a lynch mob.

They start out with an interesting spokesperson (ie. DJ?) that wants to make an interesting proposal saying something like, "Let's take matters in our own hands."

A frenzy develops. A few get really incited and whammo watch the flying pots, nooses, and people made to do things against their will.

Mob control of the public school system is underway as we peck at our keyboards.

We're not suppose to see certain movie productions, we're suppose to dress a certain way, etc.. etc. If you disobey, the mob may react violently. Rumor, faith, and military tribunals become the norm. Chaos and killing everywhere.

Where to run?

I'd say blend in as inconspicuously as possible for now while, at the same time, taking some serious action on the side.

Vote the bastards out, for example.

Flying Monkeys
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  14:19:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

Where's a wand when you need one.

I had one. It doesn't turn them into frogs. or newts. It doesn't even make a nifty sound as it breaks over someone's head.

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  14:31:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
I have a wand too but common decency makes me keep it under wraps.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

cygonaut

12 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  14:32:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit cygonaut's Homepage Send cygonaut a Private Message
Well there's a certain kind of wand out that has a hole in one end and you kind of point and click it.

Go to Top of Page

cygonaut

12 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  14:35:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit cygonaut's Homepage Send cygonaut a Private Message
<< I have a wand too but common decency makes me keep it under wraps. >>

That's the point, dip, and rub one. I have one of those too!

Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  18:14:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
Nobody is ever going to be able to do away with religion. The best you can do is to make it benign and boring, which is what my ancestors attempted to do. This is a wonderful country because the Constitution and Bill of Rights makes these nuts have much more difficulty forcing their beliefs upon the rest of us. It is almost funny to watch the show.

We are lucky in this country. Very lucky...

I can put up with the religious crazies, so long as they lack the real power to force their religions on anybody. People in power have to pretend they are religious. There have always been religions. The Soviet Union tried to get rid of religion. But their entire state followed Communism (which was just another boring and stupid religion).

The important thing is to keep religion innocuous (like Great Britain does).

ljbrs

*Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error.* Goethe

Edited by - ljbrs on 11/26/2001 18:16:24
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  19:26:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message
quote:

Nobody is ever going to be able to do away with religion. The best you can do is to make it benign and boring, which is what my ancestors attempted to do.

"Science can destroy a religion by ignoring it as well as by disproving its tenets. No one ever demonstrated, so far as I am aware, the nonexistence of Zeus or Thor, but they have few followers now."
[Arthur C. Clarke, "Childhood's End"]

Is that the kind of thing you mean?

Free speech; excercise it or SHUT UP!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.