Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2001 :  14:42:17  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message
Well, some fool digging in the dirt in Pakistan has found an intermediate whale skeleton. So now we have two more gaps in the fossil record, one at its head and another at the tail;

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/reu/20010917/whale.html

When will they ever learn...?

;^)

Free speech; excercise it or SHUT UP!

Rift
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2001 :  17:39:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rift a Private Message
The only gaps in the fossil records are between the ears of the creationists....

"Goddammit! The world is just filling up with more and more idiots! And the computer is giving them access to the world! They're
spreading their stupidity! At least they were contained before--now they're on the loose everywhere!"?
Go to Top of Page

comradebillyboy
Skeptic Friend

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2001 :  17:57:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send comradebillyboy a Private Message
obviously another link in the conspiracy by the evolutionist science establishment to perpetuate the myth of evolution.

no work of man can refute the answers in genisis. god, as a manifestation of his infinite wisdom and mercy, made things this way to trap the un faithful so that he can punish them in hell fire for eternity.

comrade billyboy
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2001 :  06:43:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
http://www.talkorigins.org/features/whales/

Hmmmm...
Wonder how much fossils we need before we can get the cretinists to begin calling cetacean evolution an example of microevolution

"A society without religion is like a crazed psychopath without a loaded .45"
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2001 :  10:19:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
There are all kinds of transitional species. The way creationists get around it is to point out that these species haven't been classified as transitional. What they want is impossible to produce. Archeopteryx has been classified as a bird. Never mind the reptilian features. A bird is what it is. Whales with legs have been found in the Sahara Desert. Do they care? Nope. God made them that way. And since they are classified as whales, that's that.

Also, each time a transitional species is found, by creationists logic, two more gaps need to be filled in order to prove that it's an intermediate species. They want the gaps filled before and after the so called transitional. Of course, this creates four more gaps to be filled. This way, creationists have insured that no transitionals will ever be found....

The Evil Skeptic

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2001 :  10:36:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message
quote:

There are all kinds of transitional species.

Actually, Iwould argue that every species is transitional between what it was before and what it will be later, assuming it doesn't do something silly like become extinct. I think the whole idea of transitional species is misleading. It makes the ignorant and innocent start looking for creatures with fur and legs at the front and scales and feathers at the rear. Believe it or not, I have seen cretinists ask for things along those lines.

Free speech; excercise it or SHUT UP!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2001 :  15:04:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
I think the whole idea of transitional species is misleading. It makes the ignorant and innocent start looking for creatures with fur and legs at the front and scales and feathers at the rear. Believe it or not, I have seen cretinists ask for things along those lines.

Of course, you are right. But from our vantage point I think its fair to look at Archeopteryx and say that it represents a transitional species. It is hard not to view it that way because we can see by its features where it came from and where it's going. From Archeopteryx point of view, it was what it was. One result of a few billion years of evolution.

Ultimately, it's important that those innocent and ignorant people see what we call transitional species to drive home the point that evolution happens. That change over time is what evolution is about, that every living thing is evolving and that the creationists are wrong.

The Evil Skeptic

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2001 :  15:38:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
quote:

That change over time is what evolution is about, that every living thing is evolving and that the creationists are wrong.

To really be a "transitional species" one would have to be just different enough from the "base" that you could see a slight morphic difference--but not find a difference on a genetic level. That is the two should be able to breed and have offspring who were not "mules".
The easiest place to find a transitional species is to look in a mirror. If you are of an identifable race then voila!--a transitional species.

-------
The brain that was stolen from my laboratory was a criminal brain. Only evil will come from it.
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2001 :  15:37:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
But which came first the intermediate or the egg?

Go to Top of Page

ZaphodBeeblebrox
Skeptic Friend

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2001 :  16:14:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ZaphodBeeblebrox's Homepage Send ZaphodBeeblebrox a Private Message
quote:

But which came first the intermediate or the egg?

The Intermediate.

By 3 Billion Years!

If you Ignore Your Rights, they WILL, go away.
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2001 :  03:52:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
Was it a [G]f ish with partial lungs?

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2001 :  13:30:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:

Was it a [G]f ish with partial lungs?

I think it was a Gish with partial brain

"A society without religion is like a crazed psychopath without a loaded .45"
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2001 :  16:33:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
If all the rulers are crooked how do you measure a straight line?If our mind is evolving how can we TRUST IT?

Go to Top of Page

Garrette
SFN Regular

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2001 :  19:03:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Garrette a Yahoo! Message Send Garrette a Private Message
How can we not?

The alternative is to trust the demonstrably flawed and inconsistent deity whose existence not only is unprovable but also lacking in any credible evidence.

And, no, I will not engage in a debate about the credibility of the NT as there are others on this forum far more qualified to do so. But I will point out that even if you undeniably prove the existence of jesus, you are still a long way from proving divinity.

My kids still love me.
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2001 :  18:45:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
If all the rulers are crooked how do you measure a straight line? If our mind is evolving how can we TRUST IT?

Once more, dear friends, into the breech.

Ya know, Darwin, before you get into this with us it might serve you well to look at the back files in some of these threads. It will keep you from wasting your time with the more blatantly ridiculous of the Creationist arguments.

As for fish with partially developed lungs it just so happens that there are a couple living in a tank on one of the counters of my office. Their names are Mercutio &Tybalt and they are Vietnamese Mud Skippers. As I write this Tybalt is walking on the "island" in his tank, using his fins as feet.

Your lungs are evolved from the air bladder that your aquatic ancestors had to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the sea.

The problem with presenting a four thousand year old Bedouin creation myth as a scientific fact is that if you reduce religion down to the level of science it looses it's special privileges.
The first privilege that goes out the window is FAITH.
Sorry D.A., but in science there is nothing more stupid than having faith. In fact that is the entire purpose of science--finding out how things work through research. You have to prove the suppositions that you make. Credulity (faith) has no place in science.

Okay, so your supposition is that a god blew his magic breath on a dust bunny and --presto changeo-- it turned into a guy.
That's a lot to prove if you want to be taken seriously.
You have to prove that there are gods.
That the one you are talking about is the one who created man.
That there is such a thing as magic.
That this event actually happened….etc. etc.

It's odd that all the major Protestant faiths and Roman Catholicism have no theological problem with the basic sciences at all. What's your beef with biology (evolution). What about all the other sciences that contradict the OT, are you railing against them too? Do you mock the weatherman on channel two because he doesn't know that the rain is coming out of holes in the crystalline sky, and the clouds are dust stirred up by god's sandals, as the OT says?

-------
The brain that was stolen from my laboratory was a criminal brain. Only evil will come from it.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2001 :  18:52:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
quote:
If our mind is evolving how can we TRUST IT?

This makes absolutely no sense to me. You almost sound like you think an evolving mind is a bad thing. Of course, who's to say exactly how minds evolve but generally they evolve in such a way as to promote survival. Don't trust that at your own peril

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.