Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  07:50:41  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Yup, Fred Phelps plans to protest at the funeral of Coretta Scott King today.

Also in the story is some discussion of laws passed by various states to prohibit protests or demonstrations within 100 yards of any funeral. Phelps says such laws violate his First Amendment rights, and I'd tend to agree with him.

But, my prediction is that after he's arrested for violating one of those laws, and makes this First-Amendment defense, he will hypocritically accept the help of the fag-loving ACLU.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  08:26:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Yup, Fred Phelps plans to protest at the funeral of Coretta Scott King today.

Also in the story is some discussion of laws passed by various states to prohibit protests or demonstrations within 100 yards of any funeral. Phelps says such laws violate his First Amendment rights, and I'd tend to agree with him.

But, my prediction is that after he's arrested for violating one of those laws, and makes this First-Amendment defense, he will hypocritically accept the help of the fag-loving ACLU.

As much as I'd love to hear about Phelps bleeding in an alleyway somewhere, I'd still have to defend his 1st Amendment rights. The response to his greivious hatemongering was overboard. It is curious that when the little ball of shit was only targeting GBLT funerals, states didn't do shit. But when he started targeting soldiers funerals and now Coretta Scott King, states go apeshit for it.

It's like those damn flag burning laws. It makes more martyrs for the cause and encourages it.

I wonder how the fucker would feel if others picketed his followers funerals?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  08:32:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
I keep thinking that guy is going to get himself killed, and that maybe that's what he wants. Like maybe he's trying to be some kind of martyr or something.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  09:01:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Yeah, but here's a thought: over all and in the long run, good ol' Fred is one of the best things to happen the gay folks in a long time. The more he froths, and fulminates like a raw chancre, the more sympathy he generates from those who actually think. "'Tis an ill wind indeed...," eh?

I think picketing Kings funeral is a huge mistake on his part, and it will come back to haunt him. Very soon.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  18:22:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
I'm not sure whether it would be unconstitutional though. At least the dutch constitution can be reasonably summarized as 'you freedoms are protected as long as they do not interfere with the freedoms of or are harmfull to others'.

Protesting close to a funeral can be especially hurtfull to the people attending the funeral. I see no reason to defend someones freedom of speech on these occasions. There's a limit to everything, even freedom of speech. In my mind, this is a case where such a limit is reached.

edited to add: also, he still has his freedom of speech and is not limited in a very intruding way in getting his message across. Demonstrations can be located to specific areas due for safety, and I can imagine that something like that could apply here. A funeral is a very emotional occasion, and the chance of a fight is certainly very much present if people are going to intrude upon it.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Edited by - tomk80 on 02/07/2006 18:26:36
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  18:31:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
I agree with tomk80, people should be able to visibly protest anything, but there are always regulations for the sake of public safety. 100 yards doesn't sound unreasonable. Funerals are a personal thing for mourners. They are an important part of how people emotionally cope with loss of loved ones. Lots of people were critical after Reagan died, but you didn't see any angry, middle-aged homosexuals protesting at his funeral.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  19:21:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer
It is curious that when the little ball of shit was only targeting GBLT funerals, states didn't do shit. But when he started targeting soldiers funerals and now Coretta Scott King, states go apeshit for it.
Proof that in America, it isn't what you do, but who you do it to.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 02/07/2006 19:21:40
Go to Top of Page

Mako

USA
1 Post

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  16:31:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mako a Private Message
This little tidbit comes from the Opinion section of the Abilene Reporter News. I thought you folks might enjoy this column:

[Original can be found here - Dave W.]

Our earth is degenerate in these latter days. There are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end. Bribery and corruption are common, Children no longer obey their parents. Every man wants to write a book, and the end of the world evidently is approaching.
Assyrian tablet circa 2800 BCE
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  16:44:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Form the article:
Allow me to share with you an epiphany. I think Fred Phelps is gay.
That possibility just occured to him now? I figured everyone else already suspected as much.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  14:20:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
I always enjoy Leonard Pitts' column. The whole point of writting the column, I think, was just to piss off that 'stinking bag of shit' Phelps. Well good for you, Pitts' I hope he gets so ticked off he blows a vein, I mean in his head, you know his brain.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  18:47:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Freddy Creuger Phelps also has his family group out protesting at the funerals of soldiers that served and died in Iraq. Man those kids have to be messed up, don't they?
Edited by - beskeptigal on 03/05/2006 18:49:41
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  08:21:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
This just in: Phelps was going to protest at the Amish girls' funeral, but FOX News bribed him out of it.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  09:06:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:

This just in: Phelps was going to protest at the Amish girls' funeral, but FOX News bribed him out of it.

Such a deal! So, instead of an obscene protest that would only make him hated even more, Fox gives Fred Phelps a free hour on nationally syndicated radio to spew hate speech worthy of Hitler (R-Aus)? Fox needs to have its broadcasting licenses revoked at once!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/05/2006 09:08:48
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  09:12:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Sick. Really fucking sick! If you ask me, the leadership and congregation of Westboro Baptist are the real faggots.

Phelps is a disbarred lawyer and his 'church' has been dumped by the rest of the Baptists, to their credit. He is also a serial wife and child-beater.

Hey Dave, didn't I write something on this necrotic scab from a dead monkey's ass a couple of years ago? I seem to recall that I did, but perhaps not for here. I should do another one, maybe?

The thought occures: this might come back to bite both Fox and Phelps, and we'll have ourselves a twofer.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  05:57:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

quote:

Such a deal! So, instead of an obscene protest that would only make him hated even more, Fox gives Fred Phelps a free hour on nationally syndicated radio to spew hate speech worthy of Hitler (R-Aus)? Fox needs to have its broadcasting licenses revoked at once!

Mike Gallagher works for Fox News as a contributer and guest host. Fox News does not own his radio program.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,100320,00.html

Mike Gallagher (not Fox News)offered the Westboro Baptist Church a 1 hour radio spot on his show in return they would not protest at the Amish childrens funeral. At least someone is trying to legally do something to stop their protests at funerals since it is legal for them to protest at these funerals. Peoplr are more important than politics or religion). I heard the radio program this morning and yes it was hate speech, but it exposed them for what they are. So I do not think the facts in this article are accurate.

http://rjr10036.typepad.com/proceed_at_your_own_risk/2006/10/fox_abomination.html

Also, it seems that you would want to put a news agency out of buisness for their content and not for anything illegal they may have done. When it comes to politics or religion there is alot of bias here for a skeptics site.

Edited to fix link.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Edited by - Robb on 10/06/2006 06:03:32
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  08:53:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Robb:
Also, it seems that you would want to put a news agency out of buisness for their content and not for anything illegal they may have done. When it comes to politics or religion there is alot of bias here for a skeptics site.

No no Robb. I would defend Fox's right to be unfair and unbalanced on first amendment grounds alone. But it is also fair to point out what lying weasels they really are. Do I have a bias? Absolutely. When talking about politics and religion, critical thinking will only take you so far. It isn't as though all skeptics agree on matters of politics or even religion. Unless a specific claim is made that can be shown to be true of false, I am perfectly willing to admit my bias.

That said, you know as well as I do that Fox has a bias. And when I can get them on the facts alone, I will. Turns out that they are pretty easy pickings in that department…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.