Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  11:22:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moakley

quote:
Originally posted by Bill scott

Key words in the naturalist vocabulary: I belive, we think, could have been, maybe, what if, just-so etc... etc...

Now you take issue with honesty. So people who speak with conviction and confidence while remaining ignorant of the facts are somehow so much more compelling to you. Your god should have left some evidence, but of course your god couldn't because it was created by man.

quote:
Your god should have left some evidence

My God left plenty of evidence. You just choose to dismiss it with a hand wave and then you go back to reading your evolution dogma about Martians, drooping off the seeds of life on planet earth, as scientific theory or hypothesis.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  11:26:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
Obviusly any attempt at science education is lost on Bill, who has taken willful igonance to new hieghts depths.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  11:55:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck

Obviusly any attempt at science education is lost on Bill, who has taken willful igonance to new hieghts depths.

The truly sad part in these arguments is that he thinks he has won, that he has stumped the "atheists", that his version of god is triumphant and his logic is impervioius to assualt.

Like the dinosaurs, that worldview will, sooner or later, be relegated to the same place where the greek gods, the natural gods, and all the other failed supernatural attempts to explain the unknown; as an obsolete and incorrect view of the world, and will become nothing more than an amusing footnote in a history book.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 03/31/2006 11:59:45
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  12:07:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Does not mean that it is the oldest one, just the oldest one found.
If you've got evidence of an older purposeful human burial, please present it.
quote:
Key words in the naturalist vocabulary: I belive, we think, could have been, maybe, what if, just-so etc... etc...
I used "I believe" to indicate that the 50,000-year figure was coming from my memory, and nothing else.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  12:21:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:

I can appreciate science education with the best of them. What I fully reject are dogmatic just-so stories and blatant strawman that you, the field museum and the public schools evangelize as gospel truth. And then we get a lesson on Martian theory as the sewers of the seeds of life. And then the creationists are chided as working in the realm of faith and dogmatic belief. Oh good grief.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  12:54:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I can appreciate science education with the best of them. What I fully reject are dogmatic just-so stories and blatant strawman that you, the field museum and the public schools evangelize as gospel truth. And then we get a lesson on Martian theory as the sewers of the seeds of life. And then the creationists are chided as working in the realm of faith and dogmatic belief. Oh good grief.

Yep, which is exactly why I stopped attending to church. Their attempts to intrude in reality and evangelize me is rather... boring.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  13:08:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

quote:

The truly sad part in these arguments is that he thinks he has won, that he has stumped the "atheists", that his version of god is triumphant and his logic is impervioius to assualt.

Like the dinosaurs, that worldview will, sooner or later, be relegated to the same place where the greek gods, the natural gods, and all the other failed supernatural attempts to explain the unknown; as an obsolete and incorrect view of the world, and will become nothing more than an amusing footnote in a history book.

quote:

(bill) I have not stumped the atheist. He/She has stumped themselves with their dogmatic commitment to naturalism. If they would just take their biased glasses off just once, to look around, they might get a new perspective on things. This, at the least, might keep them from having to invent more just-so stories, such as Martians who sow the seeds of life here on earth for us all. Oh brother.... Martins..... That is rich.....

quote:
Like the dinosaurs, that worldview will, sooner or later, be relegated to the same place where the greek gods, the natural gods, and all the other failed supernatural attempts to explain the unknown;

(bill) Failed? You will never know if the supernatural explanation has failed until you die. And then you will only know If I am right. If you were right you will never know it as you are now no more and have entered your eternal state of oblivion. Good luck with all of that...

quote:
as an obsolete and incorrect view of the world, and will become nothing more than an amusing footnote in a history book.

(bill) Well if so, it will surly find ToE, and Martian farmers, who plant the seeds of life, theory already footnoted in the history books from many moons past.

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  13:10:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:

Does not mean that it is the oldest one, just the oldest one found.
quote:
I used "I believe" to indicate that the 50,000-year figure was coming from my memory, and nothing else.

quote:

(bill) I never said I did. I just said because 50,000 is the oldest they have claimed to have found, so far, that does mean that it is the oldest. Only the oldest they have found so far.

quote:

(bill) Well you know very well that will not cut the mustard on this forum, Dave.

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  13:13:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

quote:

quote:

Yep, which is exactly why I stopped attending to church. Their attempts to intrude in reality and evangelize me is rather... boring.

quote:

(bill) So you would rather be entertained with cartoon videos and martian stories?????

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  13:30:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
(bill) I have not stumped the atheist.
He/She has stumped themselves with their dogmatic commitment to naturalism. If they would just take their biased glasses off just once, to look around, they might get a new perspective on things. This, at the least, might keep them from having to invent more just-so stories, such as Martians who sow the seeds of life here on earth for us all. Oh brother.... Martins..... That is rich.....

We know you haven't. Pot, meet kettle. You don't know the definition of a strawman, and the fact that you take the idea of life coming from another planet and call it "Martians who sow seeds" shows that you can only use ridicule and jest. I bet you know absolutely nothing of that idea (seeding of earth), but as soon as you heard the words "Mars" and "seeds" you immediately jumped to ridicule, indicating the complete closed mind that you possess.

No one that I recall has ever said that it wasn't possible for a god to have created life on earth. We just say it wasn't done overnight (or several nights) and we theorize it happened a certain way due to the evidence we have. You continue to lie about what is said here. Why is that?

Besides, who said your god didn't use that as the means to put life here? Why is that a problem for you? Does it goes against your religious text? Since you fail to provide any info to your religious views (I wonder why you hide this? Shame, weak faith?), we can't assume anything. This puts the playing field in your favor, since you know where we come from. It is quite suspect, really. Kinda makes people wonder what you are hiding...

quote:
(bill) Failed? You will never know if the supernatural explanation has failed until you die. And then you will only know If I am right. If you were right you will never know it as you are now no more and have entered your eternal state of oblivion. Good luck with all of that...

Bill, which god did you choose? Did you choose the right one, or will you burn for choosing wrongly? You will never know until you die. Good luck with all that...(for more info, look for "Pascal's Wager")

quote:
(bill) Well if so, it will surly find ToE, and Martian farmers, who plant the seeds of life, theory already footnoted in the history books from many moons past.

Again with the jokes. You have and have never had anything of substance.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 03/31/2006 13:32:38
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  13:35:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

quote:

(bill) Well you know very well that will not cut the mustard on this forum, Dave.

It doesn't cut the mustard for you, Bill. And that is because you insist on mis-interpreting what we are saying to you. You obviously don't want to hear what we have to say so you engage i this word-game where you intentionally try to interpret our words as far from our intended context as possible. It's evident in these discussions, and it's fucking annoying.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  13:51:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:

quote:

It doesn't cut the mustard for you, Bill. And that is because you insist on mis-interpreting what we are saying to you. You obviously don't want to hear what we have to say so you engage i this word-game where you intentionally try to interpret our words as far from our intended context as possible. It's evident in these discussions, and it's fucking annoying.

quote:
and it's fucking annoying.

Are you whining? I thought that was a neo-con atribute?

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  14:18:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

quote:
(bill) I have not stumped the atheist.
He/She has stumped themselves with their dogmatic commitment to naturalism. If they would just take their biased glasses off just once, to look around, they might get a new perspective on things. This, at the least, might keep them from having to invent more just-so stories, such as Martians who sow the seeds of life here on earth for us all. Oh brother.... Martins..... That is rich.....

We know you haven't. Pot, meet kettle. You don't know the definition of a strawman, and the fact that you take the idea of life coming from another planet and call it "Martians who sow seeds" shows that you can only use ridicule and jest. I bet you know absolutely nothing of that idea (seeding of earth), but as soon as you heard the words "Mars" and "seeds" you immediately jumped to ridicule, indicating the complete closed mind that you possess.

No one that I recall has ever said that it wasn't possible for a god to have created life on earth. We just say it wasn't done overnight (or several nights) and we theorize it happened a certain way due to the evidence we have. You continue to lie about what is said here. Why is that?

Besides, who said your god didn't use that as the means to put life here? Why is that a problem for you? Does it goes against your religious text? Since you fail to provide any info to your religious views (I wonder why you hide this? Shame, weak faith?), we can't assume anything. This puts the playing field in your favor, since you know where we come from. It is quite suspect, really. Kinda makes people wonder what you are hiding...

quote:

Bill, which god did you choose? Did you choose the right one, or will you burn for choosing wrongly? You will never know until you die. Good luck with all that...(for more info, look for "Pascal's Wager")

quote:

quote:
You don't know the definition of a strawman, and the fact that you take the idea of life coming from another planet and call it "Martians who sow seeds" shows that you can only use ridicule and jest.

(bill) I was just quoting from the piece, by Rebecca Morelle, that we have been discussing all day long. Did you read it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4702336.stm

Just because you don't care to use the word martians it is not my problem. But martians do come from mars.

quote:
I bet you know absolutely nothing of that idea (seeding of earth), but as soon as you heard the words "Mars" and "seeds" you immediately jumped to ridicule, indicating the complete closed mind that you possess.

(bill) I bet you know nothing absolutely nothing about it and will just forward me some just-so links to cover for you on this hypothesis.
"Professor Monica Grady, from the UK's Open University, will explore the possibility of a Martian existence at the meeting."
"She will discuss whether a Martian biosphere once existed by examining research into the carbon chemistry of Mars."

quote:
No one that I recall has ever said that it wasn't possible for a god to have created life on earth. We just say it wasn't done overnight (or several nights)

(bill) How do you know this?

quote:
and we theorize it happened a certain way due to the evidence we have.

(bill) Right, the seeds for life came from mars. Maybe....

quote:
You continue to lie about what is said here. Why is that?

(bill) What did I lie about?

quote:

(bill) Oh don't play so coy here P. You and your buddies on this website make a hobby out of mocking, ridiculing, poking fun in jest, or just going off in a cursing tirade when it comes to anyone who will not tow the party line for you. All of a sudden when somebody mocks your views it is a horrific offence and it deletes the rest of his/her posts as void of content, by default.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  14:49:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
and it's fucking annoying.

Are you whining?
No. I'm expressing my exasperation about you being unwilling to understand what we saying to you, and your childish need to constantly mis-interpreting the things we write, as you just did.

quote:
I thought that was a neo-con atribute?
Whining is a "poor persecuted (evangelical) Christian" attribute.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  15:42:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds.