Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  17:20:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Jeez, H., just do the ultimate hijack next time and ask about the origins of the phrase "the whole nine yards."

Hey! You participated in the hijacking, which I'm pretty sure makes you an unindicted co-conspirator. This wasn't all my fault you know.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  18:45:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Hey! You participated in the hijacking, which I'm pretty sure makes you an unindicted co-conspirator. This wasn't all my fault you know.
Trying to spread the blame around isn't going to help you this time. Not after you explained your intent with "They would go ballistic," and a sneering, raised-eyebrows smiley. I'm sure that if I hadn't stopped you, you would have continued on from "the Infinite Hotel" to "the Missing Dollar," and then "the Monty Hall Problem," and then gone straight for the throat with "the Three Words Ending in -gry." You should be ashamed of yourself.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  22:49:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Trying to spread the blame around isn't going to help you this time. Not after you explained your intent with "They would go ballistic," and a sneering, raised-eyebrows smiley. I'm sure that if I hadn't stopped you, you would have continued on from "the Infinite Hotel" to "the Missing Dollar," and then "the Monty Hall Problem," and then gone straight for the throat with "the Three Words Ending in -gry." You should be ashamed of yourself.

Oh, the Montey Hall problem is some evil voodoo....

But I am duly ashamed. It won't happen again. Or at least for awhile. I can promise a week.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Edited by - H. Humbert on 06/02/2006 22:51:57
Go to Top of Page

Pernicious

35 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  03:38:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pernicious a Private Message
for you aging metalheads out there, 6/6/06 is also the
http://www.nationaldayofslayer.org/

and if you're looking for total annihlation of the planet,
http://www.livescience.com/technology/destroy_earth_mp.html

If I was the Supreme Being, I wouldn't muck about with butterflies and dandelions, I'd start with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!
-Time Bandits
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  05:29:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

Jeez, H., just do the ultimate hijack next time and ask about the origins of the phrase "the whole nine yards."

Must resist......

Ah nuts to it.

Origins of the phrase "the whole nine yards"

Alledgedly, during the second world war, fighter aircraft 50 caliber wing mounted machine gun ammo belts were 27 feet long. If an aircraft expended its whole magazine at a target, it was said that he gave it the whole nine yards.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  07:11:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
That one is "almost certainly false," Val:
The explanation that is currently circulating around the internet most frequently is that nine yards was the length of a belt of machine gun ammunition carried by a WWII fighter plane. To "give it the whole nine yards" was to expend all of one's ammo. This explanation is almost certainly false. For one thing, the type of fighter varies with the teller, sometimes Spitfires in the Battle of Britain, sometimes varying American fighters in the South Pacific. Another reason to doubt it is that ammunition is either counted in rounds or by weight. It is never measured in length of a belt.
That piece concludes:
In summary, this is just one of those idiomatic phrases that defy explanation. This may not be satisfying, but it is not uncommon in English.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  07:44:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

That one is "almost certainly false," Val:
The explanation that is currently circulating around the internet most frequently is that nine yards was the length of a belt of machine gun ammunition carried by a WWII fighter plane. To "give it the whole nine yards" was to expend all of one's ammo. This explanation is almost certainly false. For one thing, the type of fighter varies with the teller, sometimes Spitfires in the Battle of Britain, sometimes varying American fighters in the South Pacific. Another reason to doubt it is that ammunition is either counted in rounds or by weight. It is never measured in length of a belt.
That piece concludes:
In summary, this is just one of those idiomatic phrases that defy explanation. This may not be satisfying, but it is not uncommon in English.

Yes, but it is fun.

I tried to indicate the dubious at best nature of the claim by saying alledgedly.

It's like the recent commercial I saw with Adam from Mythbusters and Lance Armstrong.

The explosion was priceless.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  09:54:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

It's like the recent commercial I saw with Adam from Mythbusters and Lance Armstrong.

The explosion was priceless.
That can be seen here, fifth from the left. My favorite is actually second from left, with Mike Rowe from "Dirty Jobs." I find the Jeff Corwin ad (third from left) amusing, as well.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  04:55:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Shoot. A full third of the day is gone, and nothing from the Anti-Christ. Well, perhaps at 7:06 (=6:66?) this evening, he'll make a show...
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  09:53:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Um, the clouds here are moving in reverse to the direction they normally float...

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  10:22:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

Um, the clouds here are moving in reverse to the direction they normally float...

Interesting, interesting.... but, what of Pastor Harry?

Aren't we supposed to get some sort of revelation or delirium tremen, or something from the good pastor today? Half of the day's gone, and not a squeak to be heard.

Well, he has 'till midnight, I suppose, but I feel my faith in him slipping away.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  10:37:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

Perhaps Pastor Harry has fallen down and cracked his head open. You know how nature abhors a vaccuum.

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  12:11:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
I have given the "Whole nine yards" problem serious thought and have concluded that whilst the WWII figher plane explination is possible I believe that it is not correct.

The actual origin as decided by me is this, when the ST. Lawrence Seaway was brought up to its current standards of measurement it allowed for a ship with a 27 foot draft, depth being more of an issue than width in the channel and so a maximum sized ship was said to be 'the whole nine yards'. Man Im good.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  12:47:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

I have given the "Whole nine yards" problem serious thought and have concluded that whilst the WWII figher plane explination is possible I believe that it is not correct.

The actual origin as decided by me is this, when the ST. Lawrence Seaway was brought up to its current standards of measurement it allowed for a ship with a 27 foot draft, depth being more of an issue than width in the channel and so a maximum sized ship was said to be 'the whole nine yards'. Man Im good.

The expression obviously has its origin in Canadian football.

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  14:08:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
Aren't we supposed to get some sort of revelation or delirium tremen, or something from the good pastor today? Half of the day's gone, and not a squeak to be heard.

Well, he has 'till midnight, I suppose, but I feel my faith in him slipping away.....

Not like we expected anything different, , but the Pastor giveth a total cop-out answer. According to the site,
quote:
Back in 1982, The Lord revealed to me [i.e. Pastor Harry] who Antichrist (The Beast) [sic] is. For the next 24 years, I watched his following grow into a global cult and I realized this person truly is The Antichrist, The Son of Satan, the "awaited one" and many are being deceived.

He goes on to say that he won't be a politician, but some world religious leader. Moreover, in less than a month he's going to-- get this-- united the world's religions. In less than a month.

Who is this person? George W. Bush? Pat Robertson? Kirk Cameron? David Beckham? No! Silly Rabbit, it's Maitreya.

Who? Maitreya! Of course! The Antichrist-- a mysterious unnamed and otherwise unknown being who will make him- or herself known at some unknown point in the future, is really Maitreya-- a mysterious unnamed and otherwise unknown being who will make him- or herself known at some unknown point in the future. Great. Thanks so much for clearing that up, Pastor Harry!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.